Dark Metal is probably one of the more venerable World of Darkness games still around. It uses the races and rules from the older version of WoD, rather than the newer one (commonly called nWoD). Where
Unlike most other games of its kind, Dark Metal is set in a somewhat cyberpunk, post-apocalyptic version of Earth. The corporate powers rule over LATMA, and it's very much a situation of haves versus have nots. In the 'bright' areas, the corporations provide security via MetSec, and things tend to be cleaner and more orderly. Of course, there are also 'dark' locales. The slums, the shambled remains of cities where less lawful (or more monstrous) individuals often dwell.
It was the unusual environment, combined with the WoD rule set, which originally attracted me to Dark Metal. The darkness of the setting and theme. However, there are several other points which might appeal to potential players.
- Roleplay is absolutely enforced. The game is MUSH-style, which means RP is everything. There are rules and stats to back things like combat up, as well as code, but people are generally here to tell a story.
- Open Character Generation. Unlike other WoD games, you do not have to wait for approval to start playing. Decide what you want to be, go through character generation, and set up such finishing touches as description(s) and background. Voila, you can start playing.
- Range of choices. Although everyone starts on even footing in terms of stats, there are so many different options for what you can play. Vampires (both Camarilla and Sabbat), Garou (including Black Spiral Dancers for you evil folk), Mages (Traditions, Technocracy, and Nephandi), Mortal+ (Psychics and Sorcerers), as well as Humans. As a side note, Humans can become cyborgs, augmenting their bodies to the point that they're anything but cannon fodder.
- A variety of organizations to belong to, and locales to reside in.
- A playerbase of healthy size. As of this writing, I saw over 50 people logged in yesterday evening.
As a player, the one thing I'd like to see more of is lower-class individuals. The population seems to be weighed down with wealthy, classy characters. Consider playing the dregs of society, the people who make up the populations of the dark areas. Gangers, thugs, dealers, prostitutes, mercenaries. There are so many options, and in my opinion, it's a lot more fun if you're not be be-suited and rich.
Feel free to drop me a line if you visit the game. My primary character is Shane, and I'd be happy to help out, especially if you're making a fellow thug!
darkmetal2039.com port 2039Post a comment