In lieu of a traditional review, I will instead strive to fix the myriad inaccuracies on this game's listing on this website:
1) Tuluk "exists" but it is closed for play, so everything about Tuluk in the game's description is pointless. Everything in the description about the setting's harshness is practically non-existent; the game is a place for socializers to cuddle and find erotic roleplay.
2) The "Adult" category is simultaneously too accurate and wildly inaccurate. If you don't get involved in the erotic roleplay, you will not get involved in plots in general, period. At the same time, players act like kids who will throw a fit if they don't get their way.
3) This game does not have anywhere between 74-99 players online as a general rule. The average is closer to 30-50 in the two or three-hour window that's considered peak times.
4) This game is not newbie-friendly. Learning this game involves going through the lengthy character creation process, dying, and trying again. Repeatedly, forever. It's commonly said that no one ever stops being a newbie at this game.
5) The MUD is only fully operational in the strictest sense, that you can connect to it and play. It is run by a bloated and mismanaged bureaucratic body that seems intent on stymieing any and all sorts of player effort. If you're looking for a game where player effort equals changes to the game world, this is absolutely not it. When you play Armageddon, you're playing in the staff's sandbox, who expect you to create a story without any help from them. The staff are essentially deadbeat DMs.
6) Roleplaying is not enforced, it is encouraged at best. You are absolutely allowed to create a character that interacts with no other player and exists solely to kill animals. One could say you're roleplaying a psychotic animal-killer in this scenario but this excuse is weak at best.
7) The huge world of 15,000+ rooms contains a plethora of rooms that are just copies of one another: endless desert with nothing particularly interesting about the specific rooms. Occasionally you'll find a landmark or an animal to kill.
Finally, a few words of caution:
This game is on a downturn, and has been dying slowly for years. The vast majority of players are those who have been around for 10-15 years or more. I played for 14 years before I decided to walk away, due to players' hostility towards newbies. Many staff have tried and failed to fix the game by addressing the problems of the exclusionary, xenophobic community, only to be run out of town. The remaining staff body only serve themselves and their friends.
I walked away after witnessing the absurdly poor treatment of female players and characters in this game. Female characters are treated as no more than living sex toys by many of the men who play this game. It is not uncommon to see staff animate a male NPC just to harass a female character who happens to be showing a bit of skin or dressing in the setting's cultural style of tighter clothing. You literally can't wear clothes in the game without getting slut shamed in some way. A couple of staff members in particular spend their time engaging in unwanted flirting and catcalling of female players.
The game's Discord server is a great place to see men harassing female players without consequence. Sometimes these harassers are the staff. The creation of the DIscord was a well-meaning idea to bring players and staff close together, but the end result is that the Discord has become a place for men to harass women.
The game professes to give equal opportunity toward male and female characters, but falls short in addressing women's issues in online spaces. If you're a woman, or a man who respects women's rights, there are better roleplaying games to play. Check out Arx, Sindome, or Harshlands instead.
Use the following form to submit your comment. Please keep in mind these guidelines:
Expect bugs while we transition TMC to a new platform, please help us by reporting them!