I've been a player on 4 Dimensions since 2005, and have been coming on and off as RL issues do get in the way.
However, each time I come back to the MUD, I always find the MUD improved with new features, zones, scripts, and of course, with good company.
So I thought about making this review kind of unique, by listing down 5 reasons why I like 4 Dimensions, which makes me come back to it again and again.
1. Extremely detailed zones. You really feel like you're immersed in these zones - for example the PreHistoric and Old West time periods make me feel I'm living a life within a historical novel.
2. Quests. They're not the run of the mill: 'Give item A to person B, collect 100 of item X, or kill 50 mobs', but are more complicated than that. While it's true there are simple quests like these in 4D, the majority of quests are much more involved, needing the player to interact with the environment and puzzle out quite a bit of stuff. Think of old adventure games by Sierra or LucasArts (but with no Insane Troll Logic or Moon Logic Puzzles, though admittedly some quests suffer from the You Can't Get Ye Flask trope).
3. Non standard MUD commands and features. There are commands like '--' which allows you to clear the command buffer, or aliasing many commands with one alias.
4. Nifty equipment/items. These items are usually quest rewards, though my favourite pieces are actually 'utility' equipment. Some examples are a hat that allows you to peek into a room and see mobs / room descriptions, an 80s game console that allows you to play an animal chasing mini game (which was scripted in early 2000s, and from what I heard, an iPhone game app is now modeled after it), a wand that allows you to 'save' a room location and teleport back, etc..
There's also items that help players in combat - like a sword that levels up as well, and golems (which assist the player and gain xp alongside him).
5. Ability to help out in the MUD. 4D has a separate BP where players can build zones / tweak / add in stuff. You don't need to be an imm to be able to do this. Some of the MUDs best features come from the BP, such as golems, or the improved newbie school and tasks.
So do come and check 4 Dimensions out if you are looking for a different MUD to play, or if any of the above 5 reasons appeal to you!
Use the following form to submit your comment. Please keep in mind these guidelines: