The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Adventures Unlimited!! - Tharel.net  (Read 4265 times)

DurionAU

• New to TMC
  • Tharel.net
    • View Profile
    • Adventures Unlimited
Adventures Unlimited!! - Tharel.net
« on: August 04, 2018, 6:14 AM »
After 22 years I can't help my self.. I just keep coming back to AU! its like digital crack, the best gaming I have ever experienced!

Adventures Unlimited is a text-based multi-user dungeon (MUD) set in the fantasy world of Tharel. MUDs have been around since the early 1980's. This MUD started in 1998 and officially opened in early 1999. It is based on the ROM2.4b6 codebase but has many coded features not available with the stock distribution.

Based in the land of Tharel, players have the opportunity to experience the world as one of 9 different classes and 17 different races. All character classes have unique abilities. The mythos of Tharel provides 12 unique gods and goddesses with a temple dedicated to the worship of each deity. Characters may freely choose their religion. Religious beliefs in the world of Tharel are the cause of many conflicts and the foundation for roleplay for the majority of the playerbase.

Five different clans are available to characters who join the player killing system. Each clan is based on religion and an attempt to further the ethos of their god or gods through roleplay. All player killing is supported through a motivation and justification system. Each attack must fit with the attacking character's written motivations. Each justification note is reviewed by the staff of AU to ensure that players stick to their intended roleplay direction. Besides attacking each other, clans can conquer and defile areas, invade other clan halls, and participate in a competition that occurs every two months called the Days of Redemption.

The land of Tharel contains over 17,000 rooms, of which more than 80% are original. Player killing is optional. We encourage roleplay from all characters, however it is not mandatory outside of participation in PK. Our convenient automapper is helpful in learning the lay of the land and understanding the surroundings in all areas. To learn more, navigate to the 'Overview' or 'Help & Info' sections within the navigation menu on the left. Thank you for visiting, and we hope to see you in-game!

https://tharel.net/
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 8:45 AM by DurionAU »
Tharel.net - By far the best gaming experience I have ever had the pleasure to be apart of

DurionAU

• New to TMC
  • Tharel.net
    • View Profile
    • Adventures Unlimited
Re: Adventures Unlimited!! - Tharel.net
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 7:23 AM »
I've been playing at AU (as we call it) for quite a few years now.  I've taken a short break or two, and I have played a variety of characters, generally one after another.  But I've never grown tired of the game as a whole, and I still feel as excited about playing these days as I did almost five years ago, when I first began.

The first thing that keeps me here is the players, the people behind the characters.  They aren't all perfect, I admit - as someone who really hates OOC conflict (as opposed to IC conflict, which the game would be pointless without), I find myself sometimes annoyed by the things players say to and about one another.  But overall, I've had a great time playing with, chatting with, and most of all roleplaying with the other people at AU, including the staff.

The second thing that keeps me here is the range of things to do.  First and foremost, my favourite: roleplaying.  Admittedly not all players at AU are entirely interested in roleplay, but many are (and we'd love to see more!).  At most times, even during the quieter hours, there's generally someone about who'd be willing to roleplay.

Apart from that, there are plenty of ways you can spend your time: AU has automated quests, where a character runs small (rewarded) errands for their deity, with an extended quest for levels 50 and above, which can be full on and time consuming but also a lot of fun.  There's the usual gaining of levels and a variety of skills and spells for each different class to work with.  There are tradeguilds, which currently deal with repairing and building equipment - only a few have been implemented, so there will be even more options when the others are available to join.  There are lots of areas to explore (over 10000 rooms), many of which have secrets to uncover.

And if you choose to join the player killing system, there are even more options.  Attacking other characters, sure.  But also joining clans, invading enemy clanhalls, conquering areas for your clan and freeing them from other clans, and participating in the "Days of Redemption", a MUD-wide struggle between the clans for control over the banks.

The third thing that keeps me here is the wide variety of options for the characters I create.  At the moment, I have a sylvan (woodland) elf cleric (coded), who is a priestess (roleplayed) of the Goddess of Dreams (coded).  She has risen to the highest rank of her temple (coded), and if she so chooses, she can have a shrine to her goddess raised somewhere in the world (coded).  She has joined a PK clan of like-minded hunters of evil (coded), which, along with her choice of temple and her background, has given her an assortment of allies and enemies (roleplayed).  She has bought property in the main focus city of the game, on which she could build a house, a shrine, or even a small temple (coded).

And there are the things she hasn't chosen to do: should she wish it, she could gain rank in the city (Citizen through to Duke/Duchess) - with any rank, she could vote in the city elections or even run for Mayor, Sheriff or Deputy Mayor, and with enough rank, she could have a manor built somewhere in the world.  She could gather together other worshippers of her goddess and one day build a clan, or she could allow her belief to waver and find a home in another temple.  She could join a tradesguild and offer services repairing and building equipment.

And the fourth thing that keeps me here is the work the staff puts into the game.  The implementor is always working on additions to the code; the builders are always working on new areas; changes are often made to give players more opportunity and incentive to develop the characters they have created; a lot of effort goes into keeping the game fun for the players.

If you'd enjoy developing a character through both roleplay and other coded activities or if you're looking for a friendly environment to play in, then I do encourage you to look at Adventures Unlimited.  We always love to see new players.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 7:30 AM by DurionAU »
Tharel.net - By far the best gaming experience I have ever had the pleasure to be apart of

DurionAU

• New to TMC
  • Tharel.net
    • View Profile
    • Adventures Unlimited
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 3:41 AM »
One of the best gaming experiences I have ever had, No matter what I
try I just keep coming back to AU! with 17k rooms and a comprehensive
newbie school the game is easy to pick up but hard to put down!

You have your choice of religion to enjoy RP enforced PK without fear
of looting, we have a highly detailed auto map that doesn't require a
specific client so you can see your enemies coming or even better see
your victims before they see you! all the while using your favorite
client!

I urge you to at least try AU once or may be even twice for that matter
if you like MUD fantasy games with a lot of choices, characters and
role play freedom with variety? this the mud you're looking for!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 9:26 AM by DurionAU »

desharei

• TMC Member
  • Armagedding since 2002
    • View Profile
    • ArmageddonMUD
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 9:45 AM »
It's a good idea to wait at least a week before posting again to promote the same game in a thread. Usually two weeks but - your first and second post were on the same day and this third is only 4 days later. It's great to be excited about your game but might want to ease up just a tetch.

DurionAU

• New to TMC
  • Tharel.net
    • View Profile
    • Adventures Unlimited
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 8:55 AM »
Thanks for the advice! I was posting reviews from our members on their behalf

Tijer

• TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 10:00 AM »
if its reviews they should really be posted in the reviews part of the listings site of the site.. :)
--Tijer

DurionAU

• New to TMC
  • Tharel.net
    • View Profile
    • Adventures Unlimited
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 11:50 PM »
Alright! thank you I will keep that in mind :D

DurionAU

• New to TMC
  • Tharel.net
    • View Profile
    • Adventures Unlimited
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 4:59 AM »
could you please direct me to the reviews section of the forum, I am having trouble finding it

desharei

• TMC Member
  • Armagedding since 2002
    • View Profile
    • ArmageddonMUD
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 8:49 AM »
It's not part of the forum. It's on your game's listing on themudconnector.com. Find your mud's listing, then look down to the left and see a menu of options:

check: connection
telnet: Armageddon
homepage: Armageddon
statistics: Armageddon
vote: Armageddon
browse: player reviews
submit: player review