The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Hi  (Read 2861 times)

Supersonik

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Hi
« on: July 18, 2018, 10:57 AM »
I'm totally new to this mud thing. I have experience in playing tabletop RPGs and forum and IRC roleplays though. My friend suggested muds to me so I thought to check it out. Anyone got suggestions for good roleplaying muds? Thanks.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 10:57 PM »
Welcome Supersonik!

Starting out in Text Roleplay Environments can be daunting, however, I will suggest that you come to Ateraan. Multiple reasons why, but for you the number one reason is that the game has a great tutorial when you start if  you have never played a Text Only Roleplaying Game (TORG) before. The link about this: http://www.ateraan.com/tutorial/torg.html

That link will show you the tutorial and get you started with a client you can also play on a internet browser or your own client. Multiple clients can be found here: http://www.ateraan.com/tutorial/game.html

Good Luck!
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

desharei

• TMC Member
  • Armagedding since 2002
    • View Profile
    • ArmageddonMUD
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 7:18 AM »
ArmageddonMUD has a history dating back to the 1990's. It is a PDEESTORPIG (Permanent Death Extensive Emoting System Text-Only Roleplay-Intensive Game). I kid - there is no such established or accepted acronym as PDEESTORPIG. There's also no such established or accepted acronym as TORG. The person in the post above made it up, and no one has jumped on it, so it's no more useful than the one I just made up!

We do, however, have an extensive emoting system, we really are text-only, we really are roleplay intensive, and we are one among a small group of MUDs that are truly Permanent Death. By that I mean - once your character is dead, they're dead. Period. The only "exceptions" involve game code bugs or very rare, very specific incidences of blatant code abuse, and even then, it's only if the witnesses didn't already move or loot the corpse. So if your character is killed out in the wilds by some griefer and no one else was around to know about it, and no one came across the body while the player is waiting for a response from staff, then it's possible the corpse will be resurrected, and you have to pretend that either a) nothing happened or b) you were badly wounded but recovered.

Armageddon has a modest playerbase - a few hundred active players, with maybe 30-50 on during peak hours, though during "events" it can jump up a lot higher. Off peak there's usually a few playing, and again sometimes even off-peak time jumps to a few dozen active in the game.

There's definitely a learning curve but we've had plenty of players who had nothing to compare Armageddon to, having never played any other online text-based game before, and some of them are still around over a decade later. It can be boring, it can be thrilling. And it's definitely what you make of it, regardless.

We have a "helper system" where you can get assistance with things like syntax and understanding the theme, "directions" to various help files, out of game in the discord channel or through their helper chat system. We are also 100% free to play, always. No "free to play but if you donate you get non-game-changing perks." Free, period.

You can find their website at www.armageddon.org

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 7:26 AM by desharei »

secrete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 9:28 AM »
Hello and welcome!
Lorana of EoT

Supersonik

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 11:13 AM »
Cool, thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.

Darkozx

• Owner of Dragonball Evolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 1:59 PM »
Armageddon has a modest playerbase

A modest playerbase that will abuse you, rape you and do anything in your power to control every action of your life in the game. Go play Dragonball Evolution instead, we won't rape you.
Dragonball Evolution, the longest running DBZ MUD online!
Address: evolution.wolfpaw.net
Port: 1874

Supersonik

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 3:33 PM »
Well... I tried Armageddon before seeing Darkozx's post... but as soon as I loaded into my character and walked a few rooms, a figure in a cloak attacked me and killed me? Took me an hour to write that character too. I was asking for a roleplaying game...

Then I read more about Armageddon here and I can't say I'm surprised. I guess I'll try the other suggested games.

Hades_Kane

• TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 4:39 PM »
Well... I tried Armageddon before seeing Darkozx's post... but as soon as I loaded into my character and walked a few rooms, a figure in a cloak attacked me and killed me? Took me an hour to write that character too. I was asking for a roleplaying game...

Then I read more about Armageddon here and I can't say I'm surprised. I guess I'll try the other suggested games.

Being that you are new to MUDs, I would probably avoid anything Roleplay Enforced (RPE) or anything labeled Roleplay Intensive (RPI)... look for a game with an active playerbase that is Roleplay Encouraged and you might have a better time getting your feet wet.  The RPE and RPI games tend to be less forgiving for people unfamiliar with MUDs.
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

desharei

• TMC Member
  • Armagedding since 2002
    • View Profile
    • ArmageddonMUD
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 5:32 PM »

Where did you start your character? Judging by just what you said, I'd guess it was probably the Rinth. And that means you were probably killed by an NPC, not a PC, because - well if you read the docs you'll see why. It's not a nice place, and absolutely positively not a suitable starting place for the first character of a new player, especially one who's never played any MUD at all.

Supersonik

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 5:45 PM »
I started in Alanak. I moved a few rooms from the starting tavern and explored the city and got killed in the street. I'm not completely stupid, I read the help files on the site about each place. But thanks for making assumptions about me and my ability to play a game.

Supersonik

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 6:14 PM »

Being that you are new to MUDs, I would probably avoid anything Roleplay Enforced (RPE) or anything labeled Roleplay Intensive (RPI)... look for a game with an active playerbase that is Roleplay Encouraged and you might have a better time getting your feet wet.  The RPE and RPI games tend to be less forgiving for people unfamiliar with MUDs.

Thanks, I'm going to look over those types of muds but I would like to get into an immersive RP environment, just one where people care about roleplaying. But getting a hang of muds in general seems like a good first step.

Apos

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 6:48 PM »
It kind of depends what you are looking for. If you want something with MUD like gameplay that has some roleplaying, I'd check out what they were saying. If you're looking for roleplaying focused that's more story driven, then you might want to try something more mush-like where RPing is basically all there is, and Arx might work for you.

Delphine

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 4:30 AM »
Welcome Supersonik!

Starting out in Text Roleplay Environments can be daunting, however, I will suggest that you come to Ateraan. Multiple reasons why, but for you the number one reason is that the game has a great tutorial when you start if  you have never played a Text Only Roleplaying Game (TORG) before. The link about this: http://www.ateraan.com/tutorial/torg.html

That link will show you the tutorial and get you started with a client you can also play on a internet browser or your own client. Multiple clients can be found here: http://www.ateraan.com/tutorial/game.html

Good Luck!

I'm going to have to second the Ateraan suggestion here for you Supersonik as it was my first experience dipping my toes into the world of RP muds, too. I was a forum RPer back in the day (since I was like 11 years old! I feel so old now) but forum RPGs kinda died out and so I thought I'd try out muds. I honestly have no idea how I stumbled across Ateraan. I don't even remember, it's been so long. But 8 years later, I'm still playing on it :)

One of the things I love the most is that, if you start in the north, you have the opportunity to take a player-guided tour filled with good RP that gives you a chance to get shown the ropes while getting in interaction and meeting new people. I hate automated tours. When I was testing out other muds, that was one thing that would make me log out SUPER quickly. But I love the touring system on Ateraan (it's one of the things that makes it special, I think). Heck, I'll even give you a tour myself IC. Just ask for Zia on the question channel ;) I WILL GIVE YOU THE BEST RP EVER OF ALL TIME.

Other than that, Ateraan is SUPER newbie friendly and very intuitive as far as the syntax goes on commands. You want to look at your backpack? You look backpack. None of this "look in my backpack" simply to find your backpack is closed so then you have to "open my backpack" and then "look in my backpack" and then "close my backpack" again crap (no offense to muds who do that; it's just a lot of unnecessary steps in my book). You want to cast a spell? You type in the spell name and BOOM. No prepping of spells first and then having to type a second command to cast once they're ready to go.

I could ramble on about Ateraan for hours, but it's 3 am now so I will refrain :) But if you do end up giving us a try, let me know!
Player of Zia de la Croix, merchant extraordinaire, on New Worlds Ateraan

desharei

• TMC Member
  • Armagedding since 2002
    • View Profile
    • ArmageddonMUD
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 8:50 AM »

Other than that, Ateraan is SUPER newbie friendly and very intuitive as far as the syntax goes on commands. You want to look at your backpack? You look backpack. None of this "look in my backpack" simply to find your backpack is closed so then you have to "open my backpack" and then "look in my backpack" and then "close my backpack" again crap (no offense to muds who do that; it's just a lot of unnecessary steps in my book). You want to cast a spell? You type in the spell name and BOOM. No prepping of spells first and then having to type a second command to cast once they're ready to go.

I could ramble on about Ateraan for hours, but it's 3 am now so I will refrain :) But if you do end up giving us a try, let me know!

That used to bug me about a different game I used to play. But it was mostly the syntax verbiage, rather than the fact that they had different commands. In Ateraan, how do you differentiate between someone who wants to look at the actual backpack's description, vs. someone who wants to see what's inside it and doesn't really care about what it looks like? How can a character protect against someone pickpocketing something from the pack, if there's no way to close it?  If there's no "my" what would be the syntax to look in someone else's pack (to see if there's something worth pickpocketing, for example), or just some random pack on the floor or hanging from a coatrack in a tavern?

In arm there default is your own thing. So if there's 5 packs in the room, you have one, there's 2 on the floor, and the others are being worn by two other people, then "look pack" would show me the description of my own by default. "look in pack" would show me what's in my own pack." "key pack" would give me a list, by number, of all visible packs in the room, with my own being #1 on the list. If I want to see what's in the 2nd pack on the floor, and not the first on the floor, I'd "look 3.pack" (since #1 is mine, and #2 is the first one on the floor.). Look IN would show me contents. Just plain LOOK would show me the description of whatever I'm trying to look at.

Delphine

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2018, 11:26 AM »

That used to bug me about a different game I used to play. But it was mostly the syntax verbiage, rather than the fact that they had different commands. In Ateraan, how do you differentiate between someone who wants to look at the actual backpack's description, vs. someone who wants to see what's inside it and doesn't really care about what it looks like? How can a character protect against someone pickpocketing something from the pack, if there's no way to close it?  If there's no "my" what would be the syntax to look in someone else's pack (to see if there's something worth pickpocketing, for example), or just some random pack on the floor or hanging from a coatrack in a tavern?

In arm there default is your own thing. So if there's 5 packs in the room, you have one, there's 2 on the floor, and the others are being worn by two other people, then "look pack" would show me the description of my own by default. "look in pack" would show me what's in my own pack." "key pack" would give me a list, by number, of all visible packs in the room, with my own being #1 on the list. If I want to see what's in the 2nd pack on the floor, and not the first on the floor, I'd "look 3.pack" (since #1 is mine, and #2 is the first one on the floor.). Look IN would show me contents. Just plain LOOK would show me the description of whatever I'm trying to look at.

In Ateraan, backpacks are merely containers lacking in any sort of personalized description. A backpack is a backpack. You can have it dyed any color you like, though, by a merchant! Other people can also not look into your backpack or pickpocket from you (unless they are of a certain guild). Some people might find that unrealistic, but I find it MORE realistic, personally. Not just any person  is going to magically know how to pickpocket someone. I know I couldn't. It makes sense that only those who have trained in the art can do it successfully. If you want to look at a backpack lying on the ground, you type l backpack 2. But I doubt you would find a backpack lying on the ground. No one wants to lose something like that!

This is what I see when currently looking at my backpack in game:
l backpack
A heavy backpack created by Vasily.
Backpack contains:
Five Crab traps.
Elf token.

Yikes. I need some more stuff in there.

But while there's no room in the code for backpack personalization, we have a pretty neat crafting system that lets us have custom clothing and even custom weapons and armours (though those latter are modified from base items found in-game using a special tablet you can acquire). We can have personalized houses and ships. Heck, we can even have personalized pets (though you buy those and modify them after rather than craft them, ha!) And you can look at the clothes and armours anyone is wearing by using 'inspect name item' like for example 'inspect zia dress'. One guild in particular can even have personalized familiars, as well. There's plenty of room for fun descriptions on Ateraan, though backpacks aren't one of them ;)

EDIT: Whoops! Almost forgot one. You can also get custom body modifications in-game like tattoos and piercings that are added to your description by a trader (the merchant equivalent in the Southlands) in a color of your choice! I always found that a neat feature as well.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 11:32 AM by Delphine »
Player of Zia de la Croix, merchant extraordinaire, on New Worlds Ateraan