The Mud Connector

Author Topic: see, think, and react quickly  (Read 2753 times)

UurdinCM

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
see, think, and react quickly
« on: July 13, 2018, 3:12 PM »
What sort of examples have you run across or built that require a player to view what is happening on the screen and react in a "fast" timeframe to what they noticed in order to be successful? 

For example, I created a several room hallway with 4 possible breath attacks coming from a dragon at the other end.  The player is told they notice a certain breath attack coming at them (say fire) and they have around 4 seconds or so to wear a corresponding colored amulet they should have found earlier (red in this case), or else take some damage.  Another example is when they finally meet and fight the dragon, it is scripted with some special new commands in the room the player should have read about earlier.  If they see the dragon is coming at them from the right, then they have about 4 seconds to "shift left", or else take on some additional damage.

I know this type of thing can be scripted to...but hey, I guess so can a lot of stuff on muds.  You have to figure it out once first though.  Anyway, I'm not concerned when players choose to use scripts as much as if anyone else has run across "timing" based reactions of this nature, and what they might have been?

nabu256

• View Profile
Re: see, think, and react quickly
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 4:18 PM »
I think in ConQUEST MUD you had a quest where you had to sneak through a T-shaped hallway junction. Basically if you heard a guard to the east, you had to quickly go to the north and wait until guard walks to the west part of junction.

Jodah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 5:31 PM »
While I haven't played them much, Achaea and some IRE muds come to mind.  During combat, certain things happen and you only have so long to counter.

In other muds, I have seen explosives having a counter when you walk into the room, better leave.  The same with guards, "This room is exclusive, you have 5 seconds to leave..."  Also guards requiring you not holding a weapon within 5 seconds.

There are really a ton of examples.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 11:03 AM »
On Ateraan there are a lot of quests that have time frames in them for reaction as well as traps and places like oceans, lakes, or rivers where you have to sink or swim. There are numerous things like this from fishing and whaling to caravans and dungeons and other environments that have this happening.

Scripts can be used sometimes to circumvent but Ateraan is dynamically built so timers and scripts sometimes do not work or will lead to unfortunate ends.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Jodah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 3:14 AM »
The best examples are when player actions, skills, or equipment decrease the timers.  Like fishing without a pole has a random time limit of 100-1000seconds, but the fishing skill shortens it to 10-100 seconds, while a fishing pole and fishing skill would shorten it from 1-50 seconds.  Most muds already have a system like that.

Tavilyn

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 10:38 PM »
This brings up an interesting point, actually.

I'm a screenreader user, and although my speech output is pretty freaking fast, it's often difficult to get a screenreader to tell you precisely what you need (nothing more, nothing less). There are times in different MUDs that I've played where I have died and been pretty harshly penalized because I simply wasn't fast enough. UossMud has some scripted boss battles which do this, and AarchonMud has a couple of remort quests where timing is key. They've been toned down (in the latter case) but they're still pretty nasty.

Such things are a natural impediment to virtually all screenreader users. There is no way to react as fast to the bits and pieces you hear as to the things you see. Your eye can zip straight to the info you need, while a screenreader user has to use arrow keys or some other commands to hunt for it. And we can get pretty bloody quick, can usually find workarounds, but the bar is always considerably higher for us when time is of the essence. I've straight-up quit a few MUDs where this mechanic is overused.

Jodah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 6:16 AM »
Triggers can react faster than us all.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 9:24 PM »
I'm a screenreader user, and although my speech output is pretty freaking fast, it's often difficult to get a screenreader to tell you precisely what you need (nothing more, nothing less). There are times in different MUDs that I've played where I have died and been pretty harshly penalized because I simply wasn't fast enough.
Not sure if you are into Roleplay Enforced games but even if you aren't if you come onto Ateraan we have a Blind Players Union (BPU) that can really give you some great insight to techniques to assist you.

Here is a link with more information on this: http://www.mudconnect.com/SMF/index.php?topic=81273.msg215777#msg215777
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Epilogy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 10:27 PM »
End of Time has a few different skills that require timing, like dodge. Rather than the basic skill that lets you passively dodge more, you can actively use it to negate physical damage for a brief time. The spell-casting is time-based, rather than instant, which creates an opportunity for counter-spells to come into play. These counter spells have a variety of effects that can affect an enemy caster as long as your counter is cast before their spell is. Mind knives, for instance, will cause the original caster to take damage on completion of their spell, while a different counter can cause the level of their spell to fluctuate randomly.