The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Your approach to rules?  (Read 4577 times)

Darkozx

• Owner of Dragonball Evolution
    • View Profile
Re: Your approach to rules?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 12:19 AM »
ToS's are insane to read nowadays. Eventually we're all going to get ****ed by a ToS that no one reads but locks us into some sort of shitty contract. I bet Facebook will be the first to do such a thing.
Dragonball Evolution, the longest running DBZ MUD online!
Address: evolution.wolfpaw.net
Port: 1874

Jodah

• TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2018, 12:50 AM »
Id argue ToS are different.  No one logs into a mmorpg and unknowingly breaks a rule, it's not done and not really possible.  I have never read any rules on a mmorpg ever and have yet to break a rule.  Any ToS rule is broken on purpose.  If I cant put the word "boobs" in my playername, the game wont let me.  If the games let's me pk, then it's allowed to pk.  It's all coded in.  You have to go really out of your way break a ToS rule like hacking.  Hacking is not a rule someone is going to break by accident.

Contrast that to mudding, so many friggin rules.   For example, I made a new char on New Worlds Ateraan and instantly got nuked twice because the name "Jodah" is in a obscure Magic book maybe two people in the world have read.  That is unknowingly breaking a rule, a rule that requires to be read.  That's just the tip of the iceberg.  Muds need only a few rules, code the rest in.  Those rules include no cheating, bug exploiting, multiplay (if applicable) etc... ie things you can't code in.  Don't want me slaying newbies?  Code something in giving them protection.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 12:59 AM by Jodah »

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2018, 2:24 AM »
Id argue ToS are different.  No one logs into a mmorpg and unknowingly breaks a rule, it's not done and not really possible.  I have never read any rules on a mmorpg ever and have yet to break a rule.  Any ToS rule is broken on purpose.  If I cant put the word "boobs" in my playername, the game wont let me.  If the games let's me pk, then it's allowed to pk.  It's all coded in.  You have to go really out of your way break a ToS rule like hacking.  Hacking is not a rule someone is going to break by accident.

Contrast that to mudding, so many friggin rules.   For example, I made a new char on New Worlds Ateraan and instantly got nuked twice because the name "Jodah" is in a obscure Magic book maybe two people in the world have read.  That is unknowingly breaking a rule, a rule that requires to be read.  That's just the tip of the iceberg.  Muds need only a few rules, code the rest in.  Those rules include no cheating, bug exploiting, multiplay (if applicable) etc... ie things you can't code in.  Don't want me slaying newbies?  Code something in giving them protection.
Whoa whoa whoa, hold up son. You know I like you Jodah but I have to call you out on this one. Jodah is a Magic the Gathering player card. Now unfortunately in a world built on fantasy we can't have a Magic the Gathering character on the game.

Our rules are strict on names being unique in order to keep immersion and genre in tact. It is the same with staying in character. There are really only a few super strict rules on Ateraan and they are ooc. The rest are laws in the game and you can break them if you wish but you have to suffer the consequences in such cases.

Now come on back, choose the name Johda, Ghoedha, Tschodah, or Joedaw or some other obscure variation and you are good to go. I know you will become a great thief or rogue or minstrel!
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Jodah

• TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 2:40 AM »
This was a few years ago, Jodah was not a card at all at the time, nor was it associated with MtG except in an obscure MtG book that was not famous nor popular.  I thought it was a good book though.  I thought the ban on Jodah was odd at the time because I wondered to myself, do these mods read every fantasy and DnD book ever to ban every name in all these fantasy books?  I likened the ban to banning some character name in the 156th dragonlance book as a MtG book would be no more famous than any other obscure fantasy book.  That's a lot of names to remember.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 2:52 AM by Jodah »

Darkozx

• Owner of Dragonball Evolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2018, 2:44 AM »
I assume most names would be off limits considering how you can link just about every name to some sort of character in something or another. At least I know where Jodah's name comes from now.
Dragonball Evolution, the longest running DBZ MUD online!
Address: evolution.wolfpaw.net
Port: 1874

Jodah

• TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2018, 2:49 AM »
I assume most names would be off limits considering how you can link just about every name to some sort of character in something or another. At least I know where Jodah's name comes from now.

That's what I was thinking.  Mods must have book name database.  Since Jodah is a MtG card today, I clearly see why it would be not allowed today as it's a rather famous name, but not back then as it wasn't a card nor famous.

Anyways, my whole point was not to discuss New Worlds rules, but to give an example.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 3:08 AM by Jodah »

Benson

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2018, 4:13 PM »
I haven't really thought of a terms of service, but I probably would think about that when my game is playable and keep it simple. I deal with enough legalese at work so I'd rather avoid using it for a hobby! :)

I've never actually been staff on a MUD before, this would be a first time type of thing, but I hope to make up for my lack of experience with passion... and um... the advice of more experienced people! :-P

Anyway, thank you for your suggestions so far!

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2018, 9:28 PM »
This was a few years ago, Jodah was not a card at all at the time, nor was it associated with MtG except in an obscure MtG book that was not famous nor popular.  I thought it was a good book though.  I thought the ban on Jodah was odd at the time because I wondered to myself, do these mods read every fantasy and DnD book ever to ban every name in all these fantasy books?  I likened the ban to banning some character name in the 156th dragonlance book as a MtG book would be no more famous than any other obscure fantasy book.  That's a lot of names to remember.
In that case there is no reason for your name to have been rejected since it isn't a normal name used. Might have been an over zealous junior staff member to which I humbly apologize, not everyone is perfect.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2018, 9:37 PM »
Our rules on names are simple. Create something unique. All common names are not allowed or items just as Dagger, Lightning, etc. Log on and read help name.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com