The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Your approach to rules?  (Read 3833 times)

Benson

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Your approach to rules?
« on: July 10, 2018, 2:12 PM »
Hi! I'm currently designing a MUD with Evennia. I don't know how big it will get. But I do want to be prepared for the eventuality that it could have a bunch of players.

One thing that concerns me is how to approach administrating the MUD in terms of setting house rules. I can see two ways to go about it.

The first way is to keep the rules casual: don't be a jerk, treat others how you'd like to be treated, and stuff like that. It will be a roleplay-required MUD so that would also be in the rules.

The second way is to spell out everything as much as possible. Mention specific things that are absolutely forbidden, like harassment, non-consensual sex, you know, the basic things that most people should know are wrong but some people just need to be told.

I feel like the first way gives me more leeway in dealing with players that prove to be problematic, whereas the second way doesn't. On the other hand, players might not be sure what is or isn't okay if I go the first route and it could be harder to explain bans.

For MUD staff, how do you administrate your MUDs? For MUD players, how do you wish your MUD was administrated?

secrete

• View Profile
Re: Your approach to rules?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 4:20 PM »
How much time do you want to spend enforcing your rules?

In my experience, the more specific rules you have, the more time you have to spend making sure they are followed. You will have people who follow the rules. You will have people who constantly report other people - PlayerA did XYZ and it's against the rules. You will have people who try to get around the rules. You will have people who test you on the rules. That is how people are. The more rules you have, the better plan you have to have on how and when they will be enforced.

If you have only a few rules, you will have people who complain. You'll still have reporters, people who try to get around the rules, people who complain about rules you don't have, etc. But if it's your game, you can decide who gets to play and who doesn't.

In my opinion, it is better to go with fewer rules. I simply don't want a hobby game to turn into a full time babysitting job.
Lorana of EoT

Jodah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 4:41 PM »
Some people like being a jerk, don't make that a rule or I will pk you all over the sidewalk.  For example, I like lighting grenades and "giving" it to people, it's fun to see them panic as they try to drop them before they explode.  Death only a minor inconvenience with no lasting effects on the mud.  You should have two rules.

1.  No harassment or spam.
2.  And whatever game rules, like multiplay.

Make sure you prepare for gobs of players. 

Hades_Kane

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 5:07 PM »
I'd say fewer... the first approach, for the reasons you already stated.

As far as "players might not be sure what is or isn't okay if I go the first route and it could be harder to explain bans" I think the answer to that is don't ban people for first offenses.  If someone oversteps a boundary, give them a warning, and if they do it again, then address the issue.  If you tell someone to knock something off and they don't, then they banned for it, there's nothing to explain.

If your game gets huge and there ends up being issues, you can always add/clarify rules down the road to address certain needs if necessary.
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

Benson

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 11:15 PM »
Thanks for your input everyone! I think there are good arguments for a light touch and it's the right way to go. This is a hobby after all and I think people will get that if they come to play.

Anyway, worrying about rules at this stage is probably premature! But it's good to have an idea of what the future might hold as my friends and I work on this. Thanks!

Darkozx

• Owner of Dragonball Evolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 12:30 AM »
Here's our list of rules and our disclaimer but if I had it my way in a perfect MUD world, there would be zero rules. When it comes to enforcing these rules, I really don't care for the most part unless they're being a total piece of sh** and trying to scare off players.

Rules of Dragonball Evolution:

1. Do not spam any channel at all.
2. Do not abuse any bugs or loopholes. Report them please.
3. Do not go out of your way to be malicious towards an immortal or player.
4. Do not multiplay 2 or more of your own characters.
5. Do not abuse newbies, interrupt global RPs or be a troll.
6. Do not speak any other languages besides English, it is a distraction and confusing to most.
7. Do not complete steps of a multiple part quest for someone. (example: Castle Darkblaze questline)
8. Excessive legal PK will not be moderated, if there are any problems, you will have your Bloodlust or PK War flag removed.
9. Do not allow someone access to a bound key zone if they do not have the key themselves.

Punishments will be determined case by case. Do not expect us to act like nazis.
We are here to have fun, not rule over everyone with an iron fist.

Disclaimer:

This game is not rated E for everyone (or pg if you prefer).  Some of our
emotes, actions and use of language may be offensive and we are not to be held
accountable if you are offended.  By playing DBE you understand this and
understand that immortal action will only take place if the comment or action
is aimed to purposely hurt a person or group of people. 

Clarification: Dragonball Evolution is a place of free speech.  As such,
often times you will be exposed to things here that are "inappropriate" or
"politically incorrect".  That being said, too ****ing bad.  If you don't like
it, there are plenty of other internet games that police their players with an
iron fist, feel free to go play one of those.  An immortal and an immortal ONLY
will decide when something has been taken "too far".
Dragonball Evolution, the longest running DBZ MUD online!
Address: evolution.wolfpaw.net
Port: 1874

Jodah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 12:50 AM »
You forgot the last rule on most muds:

10.  These rules are subject to change at any time and at the whim of any immortal.

nabu256

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 4:51 AM »
I feel like the first way gives me more leeway in dealing with players that prove to be problematic, whereas the second way doesn't. On the other hand, players might not be sure what is or isn't okay if I go the first route and it could be harder to explain bans.
Just to put things in perspective, Achaea tried to go with the second approach specifically for PK. This is what they ended with eventually (before scrapping the whole thing and going with "Don't be a jerk"): http://nogfx.org/logs/646

Hades_Kane

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 11:51 AM »
Just to put things in perspective, Achaea tried to go with the second approach specifically for PK. This is what they ended with eventually (before scrapping the whole thing and going with "Don't be a jerk"): http://nogfx.org/logs/646

LOL!

Although, a MUD with the traffic that game sees I'm sure has a whole host of player problems the rest of us will only ever get a small taste of.
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

Apos

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 12:10 PM »
Never give abusers second chances, or have anything like a three strikes process. If someone is abusive, boot them, that's that.

Benson

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 5:29 PM »
Thanks for that second round of suggestions!

Darkozx, that's a good group of rules. Although what I like most about it is that you stress that the game is about having fun. And like you said, if people are making the game not fun for others in a way that hurts the game, then that's the time to step in.

Nabu256, that is scary!

Hades_Kane, I agree with that. The more people there are in a group, the more relationships there are between people, and the more chances there are that one relationship will be abrasive.

Apos, agree completely. Adults don't easily grow out of bad habits. Best to get rid of bad offenders rather than try to keep them around in a vain attempt to keep the player count up. If an abuser could scare three people away from the game, banning the abuser means you have +2 players and keeping him around means you have -2 players.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 9:01 PM »
Hi Benson,

If you haven't been staff on a MUD before I would start there as you will be very surprised at how hard it is to Admin a game. If you have or just want to forgo that then I won't tell you what rules to make, just make sure they are clear and concise.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Tijer

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 8:02 AM »
The way i have always ran my muds is by having a set list of rules, and letting the person issuing punishments use their own judgement.  Sometimes a rule would have to be made on the spur of the moment, because it was something that wasnt considered when the rules of the place were set up.
--Tijer
War of Legend    • Mud • Waroflegend.net port 4200   • Web • http://www.waroflegend.net
Aadarian Realms • Mud • Aadaria.net port 1111/1114  • Web • http://www.aadaria.com

Jodah

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 9:06 PM »
I love how when I play a mmorpg like Guild Wars, I don't have to read a big long boring list of rules.  I dont have imms hovering around me waiting for me to break a rule.  They basically have 1, don't bot or cheat.  Everything else is coded in. 

GMiller

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 11:45 PM »
I love how when I play a mmorpg like Guild Wars, I don't have to read a big long boring list of rules.  I dont have imms hovering around me waiting for me to break a rule.  They basically have 1, don't bot or cheat.  Everything else is coded in.

Well, they usually have a Terms of Service agreement or some sorta long legal document your suppose to read and accept. Most people don't read them; but if you do, they have a lot of rules against harassment and other things.