The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Evennia anyone?  (Read 1763 times)

VegetaBle

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Evennia anyone?
« on: June 12, 2018, 8:31 AM »
I'm a python programmer and recently heard about Evennia. Anyone know much about that code base or have personal experience with it or know of a big game that uses it?

Thanks!

secrete

• View Profile
Re: Evennia anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 9:18 AM »
Arx uses it and regularly has 100+ accounts online.

You can also find the game index here: http://games.evennia.com/
Lorana of EoT

VegetaBle

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 9:23 AM »
Oh thank you! How did I miss that?!

ArashiPrime

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 2:25 PM »
 I suggest that you join #evennia on freenode. It's the best place to talk with the devs and other users.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 2:28 PM by ArashiPrime »

jtaylor

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 6:31 PM »
I tinkered here and there with Evennia when I was designing a MUD of my own. I never finished but that's my fault, not Evennia's.  :)

Feel free to PM me if you need tips, but I will second going to freenode on IRC and joining the #evennia channel.

Apos

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 12:32 PM »
Arx uses it and regularly has 100+ accounts online.

You can also find the game index here: http://games.evennia.com/

Weirdly I think that's the only mudlist type thing that has us up, there might be something in evennia that is interfering with the protocols that sites like mudstats use or whatever. No idea what's up with that.

BarsookArm

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 1:14 PM »
I started to make a Redwall themed mush in Evennia to practice my Python.
I may also use a Raspberry Pi to host it if I can.

It is not done yet but I will tell more when I am closer to being done.

ArashiPrime

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 1:29 PM »
Don't think that's it.

Most of the lists are just static data anyway except for sites like mudstats.com which actively poll for data via MSSP (which Evennia handles just fine). It's more because all of the existing MU*lists are not being maintained anymore. Takes an act of God to get a new game added to one.

Apos

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 1:59 PM »
Yeah I thought so too, but for example mudstats has updated once a year, so as glacial as that is, it's still updated three batches of other games but never evennia ones. Not a big deal, just kinda weird.

ArashiPrime

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 3:09 PM »
Yeah I thought so too, but for example mudstats has updated once a year, so as glacial as that is, it's still updated three batches of other games but never evennia ones. Not a big deal, just kinda weird.

I have vague memories of having had difficulties being added to mudstats without a listing on TMC. I don't remember the exact details now, but I've looked at dozens of random entries and every single one of them has a TMC listing and there is no place to enter the URL for that so it must be automated. It's a bit of a long shot but I'll be darned if I can think of another possible reason why your game wasn't added while others were.

secrete

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 8:55 AM »
I started to make a Redwall themed mush in Evennia to practice my Python.
I may also use a Raspberry Pi to host it if I can.

It is not done yet but I will tell more when I am closer to being done.

I have seen MUD-Pi on GitHub: https://github.com/Frimkron/mud-pi - might want to take a peek at that. Using games to practice coding is a great way to improve your skills.

I have vague memories of having had difficulties being added to mudstats without a listing on TMC. I don't remember the exact details now, but I've looked at dozens of random entries and every single one of them has a TMC listing and there is no place to enter the URL for that so it must be automated. It's a bit of a long shot but I'll be darned if I can think of another possible reason why your game wasn't added while others were.

I have similar vague memories, might be something to look into. If you're listed in TMC and have MSSP, you should be golden when adding to mudstats. Unfortunately, if it's once a year, you may have missed the window - last updates were 22 & 25 days ago. Before that, 350 days.
Lorana of EoT