The Mud Connector

Author Topic: The state of "RPI" as a concept  (Read 6336 times)

BarsookArm

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Re: The state of "RPI" as a concept
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2018, 12:18 PM »
I think the RPI acronym does not mean anything important. The only thing that matters is the contant of the game.

desharei

• TMC Member
  • Armagedding since 2002
    • View Profile
    • ArmageddonMUD
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2018, 12:52 PM »
For example. The claim is for no OOC channels yet 90% of the players were on skype or forums while playing talking back and forth and making combat plans.

There is nothing you can do to stop that in any game on the internet. No matter how many rules or how invasive the admins are, players will use outside forms of communication as they wish. OOC is life pretty much and what about friends who live together who play together on the same RPI MUD?

The point of the no OOC channel in game is that the administration of the game has chosen not to SUPPORT ooc discussion. By not having it available in the game, they are demonstrating, codedly, their policies. They have no control over who talks about what outside the game, or the method of delivery of said talking. But they absolutely do have control over who talks about what inside it, and HOW they talk about it, inside the game.

The term RPI became a "thing" initially to describe one game: Armageddon. From there, other games were categorized as RPIs, and at that point, a general idea of "what constitutes an RPI" became a thing. Fast forward years later, and some folks who didn't understand the initial concept, hopped on the bandwagon with their game, which met only a few of the dozen-plus list of criteria.

There were debates, some heated, some less so, but the general consensus never really changed. RPI is a niche within a niche. It's not "elite" any more than "If you're not playing SuperMario you might as well put your X-box away" is "elite." It is intended to help people who are attracted to a specific list of criteria, to play games that meet most (not all) of that specific list of criteria. There are some deal-breakers, such as permanent death. That means permanent, if your character dies, he's dead, period. Not "if you character dies, he's dead, except your character experiences a, b, and c, and can resurrect if d, e, and f happen."

Another deal breaker is an emote system. It doesn't have to be particularly robust, but it has to be something other than the canned socials that come with DIKU. If it doesn't have it, then it's not an RPI.

The list goes on, but those are two of the "deal-breaker" items, and there are only a few more. The other added items are features that are common to RPIs, but not necessarily expected of them. This is to help people who are looking for that particular niche, and not for any other reason at all.

bbarkley

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2018, 1:38 PM »
Okay, I saw this thread and debated signing up to comment on it, but now I'm going to just jump in and say it.

RPI, as a concept, is dead. There is no game that used to call itself RPI that still exists and adheres to its ideals.

The games with the fewest OOC channels, games like Armageddon and Shadows of Isildur, are tainted by the community's penchant for grouping up in the shadows and arranging cooperation between their characters.

Paradoxically, these games' staff demonstrate a robotic dedication to an impersonal set of rules. Behavior that would be considered griefing in any other game is considered in-character in Armageddon, Shadows of Isildur, Harshlands, and others. There is no flexibility, no allowance for fringe situations, and no comfort or defense for players who are hurt out-of-game by other players. These games operate as steamrollers, and the players are either in the steamroller or in front of it. They have no other option.

We should stop pretending that these games don't have serious problems.

harroghty

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2018, 11:08 AM »
There is a certain degree of OOC mediation required in any online game, I think, even a role play focused (intensive, enforced, etc). We MUD players are not often among the most social folks on the planet and, in the tumult of RP, emotions run high. I can't talk about the state of play in other games, but I do see some value in pulling people aside OOC sometimes and coming to an understanding between the parties involved for the sake IC game play.

As I said in an earlier post, I think the methods that make a good tabletop game are still viable in an online game. Even if the Admin (DM) applies them a little bit differently.
"Deeds are the real man's true joy" - Albert Kesselring

http://www.forgottenkingdoms.org

Epilogy

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2018, 6:39 PM »
in the tumult of RP, emotions run high.

They sure do, as must all things moving at such a blistering pace.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 6:40 PM by Epilogy »

harroghty

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2018, 11:18 PM »
Quod erat demonstrandum
"Deeds are the real man's true joy" - Albert Kesselring

http://www.forgottenkingdoms.org

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2018, 1:04 AM »
I'm curious how one could argue over "the" definitive answer of an acronym if there never was a consensus as to what it might mean to start with? This really just comes down to an opinion over what amounts to a buzzword, once again, so.....

At least we have a good confirmation of the answer:
It doesn't mean much of anything beyond the fact that you can assume that A) The game is RP enforced and B) We're gonna see another thread about RPE MU* staff (again) in the near future.
Correct.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2018, 1:05 AM »
Whether you call it a MUD or a "TORG", or an RPE or RPI, a player is going to stick around based on the merits of the game, not some silliness over the accuracy of an acronym.
This is very true.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2018, 1:06 AM »
I think the RPI acronym does not mean anything important. The only thing that matters is the contant of the game.
This is the most poignant and accurate statement made in this long thread if you correct contant to content.  ;)
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com