The Mud Connector

Author Topic: What actually might gain the mudding community  (Read 2691 times)

Flint Stovetop

• View Profile
Re: What actually might gain the mudding community
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 12:09 AM »
And it would be nice if TMC allowed you to try the MUDs while on the site with your mobile phone.  Right now (out of the box anyway) you can not.  It is a shame.  Also I am not sure you even mention phone apps in the Getting Started section.  Maybe make a TMC phone app... All your favorite books and stories playable at your finger tips...

I feel like quoting myself.

Tijer

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2018, 10:25 AM »
there used to be an iphone app for tmc dont think its acually been updated for a very long time!!
--Tijer
War of Legend    • Mud • Waroflegend.net port 4200   • Web • http://www.waroflegend.net
Aadarian Realms • Mud • Aadaria.net port 1111/1114  • Web • http://www.aadaria.com

Hades_Kane

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 12:06 PM »
My ideals would be
1) a Fixed time where a community as a whole (more than 10+ players really) would do a mud crawl. Everyone wouldn't have to team up, just to get more players to try new MUD's really.

This form would get people to stick in newer MUD's and see past their current MUD and encourage the makings of them, as well as being able to Mud crawl through older MUD's and restore some playerbase to those.

2) Have a form of MUD competition, similar to the MUD crawl where a random MUD is picked. however put in certain challenges like getting the highest level, most player kills etc.

We would also need a place to broadcast this to get newer players on board. Social media is very prevailant in these days so something like facebook/youtube or anything with open forms of communications would work well.

They do something similar on the MUD subreddit.. they call it "Let's MUD!"
https://www.reddit.com/r/MUD/search?q=flair%3ALet%27s+MUD&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

Hades_Kane

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2018, 12:27 PM »
I get that there's a lot of suggestions on "how to improve TMC" but I think a particular focus on the discussion toward things that can be done without any change being made to this site is going to be much more productive, because unless Icculus pops in and gives any indication a rewrite of the site is in the near future, all of these suggestions on what TMC should be doing is wasted effort.

This is and will likely remain the most active forum/community within MUDing (reddit has given TMC a run for its money on occasion), but I've seen nothing to suggest that any further innovations or effort to remain on the cutting edge of MUDing is likely.

The last time a big discussion like this cropped up on what more the community (or TMC) could be doing, Gicker setup http://www.mudlistings.com and a few of us hopped on board, helped with ideas/suggestions, and the site came along quite nicely, nicely enough that ownership of the site ended up grabbing the interest of the guy that runs the MUD subreddit, Opie.

Unfortunately outside of a few of us, adoption and use of the site never seemed to really take off, despite offering so much of what people were suggesting.

I think of all the major suggestions, having a "mudstats.com" type of statistic page reading MUDs' MSSP, and porting over the MB code repository are the only things that never made it in.

And before Gicker/mudlistings, there was plamzi who setup mudportal.com and put a lot of obvious effort into making a modern, web based MUD client with a ton of customization options so that games could really tailor it toward their own game, and even embed play links onto their own sites without having to go through the top level of the site.  (mudlistings also allows for a MUD listing to supply a link for their own "play now" client... I have EoT's as the mudportal link).

There are and have been advances made in promoting and the accessibility of MUDs... but they've never gotten enough community wide support to make any sort of difference or really chart.

If we, as a community, were truly interested in trying to move things forward into a more modern era, then I think places like MUDPortal and MudListings would be seeing a lot more success and support from the community.  MudListings in particular makes it SO easy to help keep up with the various discussions across the MUD community with its forum aggregator that shows/links to discussion to other sites... its near a daily visit for me for that reason alone.

I don't know if plamzi still has any active interest in supporting MUDportal, but that and mudlistings are probably where focus on site development suggestions would do the most good, if we as a community were interested in supporting multiple sites/forums.
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

wackydude

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 9:23 AM »
It would be nice to see a stable MUD client for Android/iOS. I think MUD popularity would blow up massively if someone were to make that. I wish I had the know-how to do it myself. Unfortunately Blowtorch is to MUD clients as a slightly pointy rock is to tools.

BarsookArm

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 1:28 PM »
I think the key to a MUD revival is to use the text to its biggest advantage of telling a story. Hack and slash MUDS do not tell stories as much as roleplaying games and MUSHES.

Hawksmoor

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 2:27 PM »
This is only my second post, so I hope you don't mind me jumping in here - this is something I've given a lot of thought to as my own game gets closer to opening to the public.

I agree with Barsookarm, there is a lot of potential for roleplay-based games/MUSHes to expand their appeal through storytelling. My own game is designed as "interactive fiction" - my experience is that many RP MUD players are in fact amateur writers, whether they would label themselves that or not, and that there is a large market out there of people who read and/or write amateur, fan or adult fiction who could turn their hand to roleplaying if it's marketed at them right.

I appreciate that this only works for a particular segment of the MUD sphere, however it's possible there might be some knock-on effect from that segment putting themselves out there in this way...

nullscan

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 4:51 PM »
And it would be nice if TMC allowed you to try the MUDs while on the site with your mobile phone.  Right now (out of the box anyway) you can not.  It is a shame.  Also I am not sure you even mention phone apps in the Getting Started section.  Maybe make a TMC phone app... All your favorite books and stories playable at your finger tips...

I feel like quoting myself.

I'm pretty sure the TMC client is flash, and there should either be an Adobe Flash for Android or else a built-in replacement in Android. 

I know that MS Edge tried (and failed) to make their very own short-bus-speshul Flash runtime, to eliminate the security holes caused by Adobe's cheapo outsourcing and the performance problems created by their shady default-inclusion of crap toolbars and worthless "antivirus."  Adobe includes that crap because they get paid something like $0.04 USD per bloatware every time some end-user forgets to uncheck the default boxes on every single download, both initial install and update.  So Windows phone browsers aren't going to work very well with Flash applications as opposed to Flash videos, but TMC's flash client should still work.

As for iPhone, the problem is that you bought a POS.  Apple creates an illusion of long battery life in the iPhone by prohibiting you from playing any video at all that's over a certain video resolution, including Apple's own .mov formats.  They took the fake battery life a step further by deliberately writing code that cripples/disables Adobe Flash, which is still available for OSX 10 but then fails on iPhones.  So go buy a device designed by honest engineers who don't need to lie about their product features to trick you into buying one.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 4:53 PM by nullscan »

Apos

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 7:39 PM »
I agree with Barsookarm, there is a lot of potential for roleplay-based games/MUSHes to expand their appeal through storytelling. My own game is designed as "interactive fiction" - my experience is that many RP MUD players are in fact amateur writers, whether they would label themselves that or not, and that there is a large market out there of people who read and/or write amateur, fan or adult fiction who could turn their hand to roleplaying if it's marketed at them right.

A significant percentage of my players have it as their very first MU, and I think basically all of them come from other RP formats. Forum rp, chatrooms, tumblr, MMO rp communities, etc.

Flint Stovetop

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2018, 11:28 PM »
there is a large market out there of people who read and/or write amateur, fan or adult fiction who could turn their hand to roleplaying if it's marketed at them right.

Ehhh?  ^_^

So go buy a device designed by honest engineers who don't need to lie about their product features to trick you into buying one.

Yea tell me where I can basically buy anything that was not trumped up on false statements.  >_<

I get that there's a lot of suggestions on "how to improve TMC" but I think a particular focus on the discussion toward things that can be done without any change being made to this site is going to be much more productive, because unless Icculus pops in and gives any indication a rewrite of the site is in the near future, all of these suggestions on what TMC should be doing is wasted effort.

If all suggestions have to be nothing to do with changing the website, than it is advertising in all the right places with getting the product out there, but not annoying or bible thumping people.  Any MUDs ar E3?  ^_^

Hmmm... Anyone with a popular channel or knows someone who does on Youtube that would showcase or highlight a segment about MUDs in general?  Like have a live play session and make it fun?  Some one good with people and funny, but not creepy or overly childish or half baked/dopped up on drugs?  Any one on Twitch or the like?  Some may find it interesting and look further into MUDs, especially those who like to read or a good story in general.

Unfortunately outside of a few of us, adoption and use of the site never seemed to really take off, despite offering so much of what people were suggesting.

Sorry about that... -_-