The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Donations for Prizes/Stats on Circlemud  (Read 2317 times)

Xander Carinus

• View Profile
    • Carinus
Re: Donations for Prizes/Stats on Circlemud
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2018, 1:30 AM »
just going to leave this right here...

"I feel it is important that i make clear how i see the limits of the licence; You should know i am not against donations as such, and he may sell his merchandise as he pleases, but he may not use the game directly for this. The way i usually define this is if the players get some tangible modification within the game for their donations. Then it becomes commercialized. They pay for a service that is within the game.

I have no wish, nor any legal background for stopping donations made from commercials on the website, that offer no compensation game-wise. Nor have i any wish for preventing people selling merchandise on their website, that is related to the game (titled tshirts, mousepads etc..) .. in fact i recommend that you get your money this way."

-- Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt (29th August 2000)
If killing them with kindness doesn't work, a sword works pretty well.

Darkozx

• Owner of Dragonball Evolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2018, 2:37 AM »
Hans knows what's up while this Jeremy guy is trying to be a nazi. I have no problem with the Diku license, but the Jeremy naziware is another story. By his standards, every transfer of money I make with anyone who comes in contact with my MUD is violating his license. My boss once signed on my MUD, now every paycheck I get can be considered a donation by Jeremy standards. Sorry but I'll never stop making jokes about the horrible wording. As for the Hans guy, I like his wording, well rewording. As I stated before, only if these guys were active or something...
Dragonball Evolution, the longest running DBZ MUD online!
Address: evolution.wolfpaw.net
Port: 1874

Hades_Kane

• TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2018, 11:08 AM »
just going to leave this right here...

"I feel it is important that i make clear how i see the limits of the licence; You should know i am not against donations as such, and he may sell his merchandise as he pleases, but he may not use the game directly for this. The way i usually define this is if the players get some tangible modification within the game for their donations. Then it becomes commercialized. They pay for a service that is within the game.

I have no wish, nor any legal background for stopping donations made from commercials on the website, that offer no compensation game-wise. Nor have i any wish for preventing people selling merchandise on their website, that is related to the game (titled tshirts, mousepads etc..) .. in fact i recommend that you get your money this way."

-- Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt (29th August 2000)

Yeah, that's in regards to the Diku license.  I even mentioned elsewhere (either this thread or the pay-for-perks thread) that the Diku team has suggested making money other ways, just not by selling things in-game.

Even if the exact terms of the Diku license would say it is a violation if even a penny's worth of a "donation" exceeded operating costs (and thus being "profit"), the community consensus (and as you point out, even a member of the original team's clarification) has been that donations without anything in return is acceptable (even if some might still find this a little questionable).

The MUD discussed in this thread seems to be fine, with regards to the Diku license, because even if they have accepted or are accepting donations, it does seem on the surface that they haven't rewarded players (and thus sold them) in-game goods.

So the concern over the Diku license and this MUD is pretty much a closed issue.

However, when you operate a MUD that is based on almost any branch of Diku code, each additional author/release has (generally) applied their own license ontop of the Diku license, each of which has to be followed in order to legally modify their work.

What isn't a closed issue is this game seems to be soliciting AND accepting donations, which the Circle MUD license (on which they are based) explicitly, plainly prohibits.

So, kudos they are't violating the Diku license I guess, but it does appear they are violating the Circle MUD license.
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time