The Mud Connector

Author Topic: This has to be a joke...right?  (Read 2406 times)

nullscan

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
Re: This has to be a joke...right?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 12:34 PM »
So much confusion and so many problems are caused by people only reading the first sentence or some general synopsis.

Holy crap - how gullible and, let's face it, stupid does someone have to be to do all that? Were they lovers or something (serious question here)?

According to this post, the writer was just graduating High School and had been involved in a romantic/cybersex relationship with one of the game's admins for at least a year at that point.  Teenagers do a lot of stupid sh**, most of it for sex or lust since IMO teenagers aren't actually capable of love (which requires patience and acceptance of the flaws in others - lust is thinking with the wrong head and chasing a quick fix).

Giving up your education, family and future just for a bunch of weirdos on a MUD? Seems rather odd to me. If this is all 100% real, I really hope this MUD gets shut down.

There are schools in Portugal.  I'm sure that at the time this writer thought they'd start attending one (since the writer literally says they didn't realize at the time that he was giving up his education), and even without that, since this is written in the context of hindsight, it would still refer to "giving up education" as a "holy sh**, I never saw that one coming!"

And what family exactly?  This writer was clearly having problems with parents who didn't want to allow them to be in a same-sex relationship.  I get that in the modern day people (millenials) don't realize that this is or was a real thing, much less how big of a thing it can be for certain people, but for those of us who were actually alive (and not in diapers) by the late 1990s it was pretty horrifying how LGBTQ were treated in our lifetime and the thought that it had actually gotten better than it had been before we were born just made it worse. "If this is better, WTF was going on 20 years ago?" 

Then while all that was going on, not everybody actually had LGBTQ family so instead of looking at it with horror they looked at it as "the norm" and continued growing up that way.  This guy's parents thought "he was turned gay" at the age of 17, so they're pretty obviously from the crowd who grew up thinking gay-bashing was OK and were probably horrified that their son could be "brainwashed" into a same-sex relationship.  They didn't for one second consider that it was what he actually wanted, they just assumed he was somehow tricked into it to begin with.

It's pretty blatant that for this writer, MUDing was an escape to a place where nobody cared, and having nobody care was a thousand times better than having everybody put him down.  Moving to Europe to be with an online romance probably seemed like the only, not just the best, move to make.

At that point you're already invested.  If you never sat at a Blackjack table and won several hundred dollars and then lost it, and kept playing and losing and lost more than you'd won, you won't get it so just stop trying.  Whether it's gambling or romantic entanglements, you keep "throwing good money after bad" thinking and hoping you'll get back that excitement and sense of serenity in the storm that you had in the beginning.

So this is a classic tale of an abusive relationship with a manipulative sociopath.  According to the narrative, the writer was literally beaten, banned from communicating with the outside world (since he never learned to speak Portuguese in 5 years, the sociopath never taught him - he couldn't work in a country where he didn't speak the language, and he was at times "grounded" from using the computer to get online).  People get sucked into these situations and then go back again and again all the time with people they met at online dating sites, IRC servers, bars and clubs in RL, even the public library and their own church.

So if you're seriously watching this thread waiting for more drama, then I second Epilogy:

There's really no defending how ignorant you act sometimes.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 1:20 PM by nullscan »

Zandy

• Community Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 1:14 PM »
Also going to jump in here and advise everyone to not take this in a direction it doesn't need to go.

Aelius

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 1:15 PM »
Giving up your education, family and future just for a bunch of weirdos on a MUD? Seems rather odd to me. If this is all 100% real, I really hope this MUD gets shut down.

Just a clarification: that quote is by Darkozx, not me.

nullscan

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 1:22 PM »
Sorry Aelius.  When quoting from another post, I don't really like to quote the whole thing but just whatever prompted my line of thought.

In this case, quoting that post included the quote from your previous, and I stripped out the wrong quote-header tag when I stripped your quote out of what I was replying to.

tatterdemalion

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
    • Lensmoor
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 12:50 AM »
Oooh, there's a mud reddit?  ;D
Lensmoor is a well-established medieval-fantasy RP/hack-n-slash MUD with a wide variety of character customization, ample in-built coding, unique race options and a bunch of people excited to meet you!

Check us out!
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=Lensmoor

Epilogy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 1:09 AM »

No, you've just become seriously mentally ill. You'll be in a state of denial, viewing websites which do not exist, putting time in with lolcats that never were, and people will still be a doosh when you belabor the obvious for an improved forum post count.

tatterdemalion

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
    • Lensmoor
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 4:10 AM »

No, you've just become seriously mentally ill. You'll be in a state of denial, viewing websites which do not exist, putting time in with lolcats that never were, and people will still be a doosh when you belabor the obvious for an improved forum post count.

Believe it or not, my post was to try and open up an avenue of conversation - or at least a message of some sort - about the Reddit because I had literally no idea that they existed until then and hadn't seen it on the other few threads I visited and lurked (and I do use Reddit, but not fervently or skillfully). It'd be nice to have someone actually respond with something interesting or informative instead of slapping me down when, and because, this website requires that people post. Heck, it might even get a few more regular users instead of people simply looking to vote..  ::)
Lensmoor is a well-established medieval-fantasy RP/hack-n-slash MUD with a wide variety of character customization, ample in-built coding, unique race options and a bunch of people excited to meet you!

Check us out!

Bronn

• Home MU*: Arx
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 10:56 AM »
r/MUD does indeed exist, and it is fairly active. There's a few obvious trolls but there are often useful or interesting posts there, too. One thing r/MUD does is the MUD of the month. Nominations for that usually start in the last week of the month and a MUD is selected at random the first week of the next month. So come check it out sometime.

Hades_Kane

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 11:34 AM »
A new MUD community site has a discussion/forum aggregator (mudlistings.com) which pulls discussion from all of the MUD sites out there... r/mud being one of them.

Its a good tool to use as a one stop to see what threads are going across the spectrum.

I'm fairly new to the MUD reddit myself, only having stumbled across it a little bit before work on mudlistings started.
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

tatterdemalion

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
    • Lensmoor
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 11:08 PM »
r/MUD does indeed exist, and it is fairly active. There's a few obvious trolls but there are often useful or interesting posts there, too. One thing r/MUD does is the MUD of the month. Nominations for that usually start in the last week of the month and a MUD is selected at random the first week of the next month. So come check it out sometime.

Trolls aside, that sounds interesting! The MUDs that are nominated are selected from an overall list supplied on the reddit, or from user votes/suggestions on a thread of some sort? I shall definitely have to check it out. :)

A new MUD community site has a discussion/forum aggregator (mudlistings.com) which pulls discussion from all of the MUD sites out there... r/mud being one of them.

Its a good tool to use as a one stop to see what threads are going across the spectrum.

I'm fairly new to the MUD reddit myself, only having stumbled across it a little bit before work on mudlistings started.

Oh, I hadn't heard of that one! I will have to look into it also. Thanks for the info!

Check us out!

Bronn

• Home MU*: Arx
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 11:23 PM »
Users post their suggestions in a nomination thread. If you're interested, keep your eyes on r/MUD in the last days of May and a mod will surely post about it.