The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Mud event systems  (Read 3451 times)

Jodah

• View Profile
Mud event systems
« on: May 17, 2018, 1:19 AM »
I'm curious if anyone has played a mud or admin'ed a mud with an event system?  What was it like?  There doesn't appear to be too many out there.

By event system I mean some type of random occurrence beyond the usual mob killing or random exit.  Let's say you're walking on a path, all of the sudden you see a circle of wagons (you are transported to the event), among the wagons you see men and women butchered by natives.  It is your choice now to go and help the wagons or help the natives with combat.  At the end you are back on your path.  Just an example, but a lot of possibilities.  The events might be zone specific but randomly occur but infrequently.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 4:12 AM by Jodah »

Epilogy

• View Profile
Re: Mud event systems
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 1:45 AM »
I wanted something like this with the massive expansion of the world map, but I don't honestly think it's in the cards.

Jodah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 4:13 AM »
It'd be a perfect fit for a final fantasy theme mud but would take a lot of additional time and work.

Hades_Kane

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 12:13 PM »
I'm certainly not against the idea.  I wouldn't really be sure exactly the best way to implement that that wouldn't more or less turn it into a weird automated, randomly accessible autoquest... although I suppose something like that could work.

I tend to favor more "handwritten" quests, and if an event system like this were to be worthwhile, then yeah, you'd be right that it would be a bit of additional time and work, but this would also be a pretty good way to add in quests that didn't necessarily have to be area dependent, since it could be built relatively in isolation of the rest of the game (even in its own area) and then just have the triggers for the event placed wherever is necessary.

Definitely a few different ways to approach it, and if other games have addressed this, it would be interesting to see how.
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

Molly

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 12:24 PM »
I'm curious if anyone has played a mud or admin'ed a mud with an event system?  What was it like?  There doesn't appear to be too many out there.

By event system I mean some type of random occurrence beyond the usual mob killing or random exit.

We have something rather similar to what you describe, but it is probably not what you meant, since our events are not held by the staff, they are automated, driven by scripts that are built into the zones. The more elaborate parts of our multi-step quests are set up like events, which usually are not even visible to the player, unless he has a specific quest flag at a specific stage.

So while a normal player wouldn't see anything more than a seemingly ordinary room, perhaps with some killable mob in it, the player who has his quest flag at the right stage will be met either by a very talkative mob, or a normally not existing exit. And either might teleport him to a completely different part of the world, where he can continue the quest. It isn't really random, but that is how it would appear to someone unfamiliar to the mechanics.

I even believe we have an equivalent to your example with the Indian battle, where you can choose which side to assist, but I am not totally sure that I remember rightly, since we have well over 200 different quests by now. (Many of our quests offer some sort of choice to the players, which will lead them into different directions, and sometimes unexpected twists).

In the good old days, when our playerbase was much larger than now, we used to have staff driven roleplay events, when some of the imms switched  into various mobs to interact with the players, who would group together to carry out the given tasks. Nowadays our p-base is regrettably so small that it wouldn't be worth the effort. But the scripts offer a pretty good illusion, and sometimes it would be hard for the player to even perceive the difference.
Molly O'Hara of 4 Dimensions
4Dimensions.org Port 6000

Hades_Kane

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 12:55 PM »
In the good old days, when our playerbase was much larger than now, we used to have staff driven roleplay events, when some of the imms switched  into various mobs to interact with the players, who would group together to carry out the given tasks. Nowadays our p-base is regrettably so small that it wouldn't be worth the effort. But the scripts offer a pretty good illusion, and sometimes it would be hard for the player to even perceive the difference.

That's one of the exact reasons why we went ahead and went from RP Encouraged to Accepted.  The effort put into the staff driven events has usually been met with a very, very small amount of turnout... we could have a minimum of 12 people on all throughout the week, until event time then we'd have 2 people show up lol.

But driving a game toward a much more complete "solo" experience I think is a good aim to take, and it sounds like 4D is likely very much able to be enjoyed in that way.
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

Apos

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 12:45 AM »
I run a different kind of game, so I'm not sure if it's a good example, but I think events add a lot to our users' experience. Usually a few a day, turnout is pretty good. I think it just depends if you are trying to design for more of a solo experience, and then events can be a distraction from that, or if you want a very collaborative experience like I'm shooting for. I have a storytelling, RP focused game, so it doesn't really make sense for me to create more of a solo experience, and events just suit the vibe we're going for.

UurdinCM

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 10:39 AM »
My first post, so I apologize if I hit the wrong button and mess this up somehow…
Probably a little different than the event system asked about, but I've made some events at least similar in CoffeeMud.  The official CoffeeMud quest building feature can implement in several forms, but in general, it is an event that applies to an existing area, changes it however specified by the builder and then cleans itself up completely when done as if it wasn't there - except for any lasting rewards that are needed.  Changes to the area with the quest can include any modifications to existing mobs (changing their behaviors, properties, or scripting) or adding new mobs, items and scripts.  The quest can be set as generic to implement against preexisting mobs of a certain type or apply to rooms of a certain type - so it can apply to a randomly selected area, - or - it can be set to a single area and be designed to be specific to that area.  Using flags or portals, it can open up new sections of an area that would have been otherwise inaccessible.  It also has a step sequence that will clean up the previous step and move on to a subsequent step at the proper time.  It has a lot of flexibility and I've already detailed enough to be boring so I won't continue along those lines.

But I did want to mention some things I've done with it.  Occasionally, the Grim Man will attempt to overthrow New Thalos.  The quest enrolls Caramon and Raistlin and other mobs in the area to run around and perform actions coordinated with the story to thwart his plans.  Of course it primarily has tasks for the players to do to help stop him.  The quest event uses the ‘stepping’ feature as the story of the Grim Man and his sinister plot unfolds.  After a few background timed plot lines display to the players in a local area channel, the first event of the quest adds river snake mobs attacking and moving in (mobile) from the boat docks.  The quest grabs hold of the pre-existing dock worker mobs there and has them fight back, but also sets them to be weakened so they will lose to the snakes, leaving the snakes for the players to ultimately defeat.  It also modifies all the guards in the area to shout warnings of the invasion on the boat docks to the players.  The event lasts 9 minutes claiming the river snakes are pushed back to the waters and any remaining ones retreat.  Then the story line of the Grim Man continues with some plot lines to the next ‘event’.  Not all events are fighting based.  There are other challenges such as putting out randomly placed fires from an electrical storm caused by the Grim Man.  However, I think what makes it similar to the events asked about, is that that quest engine ensures that after each step or when it is complete, everything (except intentional rewards) is guaranteed be be cleaned up as if it never existed before the event started. 

The quest event starts, takes over an area as much as the builder might desire, and then it completes and sets the area back to the preexisting state.  I’ve had tons of fun with this as you might imagine.

secrete

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 10:06 AM »
I have seen something similar a while back built into a Dawn of Time codebase game. Rather than an interaction inserting the player into an event, the event would take place over the existing map at specific times or upon players meeting specific criteria. It was really cool.
Lorana of EoT