The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Need suggestion for a trading card (or creatures) MUD  (Read 3997 times)

Virginator

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
I highly enjoyed Cartoon Network Orbit, a trading card game, as a 12 year old. A couple years later I was hooked by Duel Masters trading card game. This is a real card game for those of you who don't know.

I recently joined a MUD called Aardwolf but it turns out that it's mostly about levelling up and quests (yet to try questing though) and not really about strategy and trading as in those games that I mention above. I would really appreciate some advice from anyone on this. :*)

Edit: Note: I should make a little correction to my words above - I am talking more about a telnet based text game rather than a MUD specifically. I just want to challenge and duel with other players.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 11:15 AM by Virginator »

Jodah

• View Profile
Re: Need suggestion for a trading card (or creatures) MUD
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 4:28 AM »
Are you sight impaired?  I have no idea how you would play a complicated card game over text.  There are some muds that give you trading cards as items, complete the set for a prize, that sort of thing.  Some allow you to summon creatures to fight, but it's all usual combat.

If you can see, there's always magic the gathering online, hearth stone, some WoW card game, and a few others.  I played Magic online for a while but fell out of it due to the money sink.

Epilogy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 4:31 PM »
End of Time has a fully functioning Triple Triad game. Starter packs, nooster packs, and game rooms can be found in the hotel in Balamb.
TheDude is dead.

Stop bothering me already 3:

Virginator

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 8:13 AM »
Thanks for the hints. I guess there isn't a whole big category for what I'm searching for. Kinda surprising because I thought there might've crept up a big community of trading card gamers in the telnet days who would've liked to duel online. But now that I think of it, I guess the trading card scene only blew up in the 90's when the days of telnet were over!

Jodah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 4:25 AM »
Again, there is a huge community of trading card gamers online, but it's all graphical.  I'm not sure why they would stick with telnet.

Hades_Kane

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 12:03 PM »
I'm not going to seriously plug Triple Triad on End of Time, mostly because I still have a lot of filling out to do there (namely, I have a HUGE list of cards I need to sit down and take the time to add to the system, then go add in a bunch of additional booster packs) before I consider the system is being used to its fullest potential (and even then, I also want to try to figure out a means to make it where you can play NPCs, that's just going to be a pretty time consuming headache).

But, I'll quote the helpfile and show some screenshots as far as what we have going on... but this is purely a "side" mini-game, and not even close to the focus of the MUD (nor will it ever be).  But, its probably the closest I've seen to what the OP is requesting, otherwise I wouldn't have responded since it isn't REALLY a good answer to his query.

Triple Triad is a card game originating from Final Fantasy VIII, which you may already be familiar with.  However, it handles just a little bit differently here on End of Time.

Triple Triad is played using cards marked with power ratings for each of their four sides, and a 3x3 game board.  Players take turns placing cards on the board, attempting to place their cards next to opposing cards that have lower power ratings on the adjacent side in order to capture them.  The game ends when the board has been completely filled, and the player with the most cards in their control at that point wins.

There are many additional rules for Triple Triad, such as Same and Counter; see HELP TRIAD RULES for more information on them!  In addition to a few unique rules, our Triple Triad differs in the following important ways:

1) You must be in a designated card club to play.
2) You may not play against NPCs.
3) Cards are primarily obtained by purchasing booster packs.
4) The difference in power levels between cards is a little smaller.

-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

Vazbol

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 12:45 AM »
    This might be something of interest if you want a tellnet client for playing trading card games: 

allinaccess.com  Port:  1234

essentially, it's a Yu-Gi-Oh mud that has all the cards up to the latest releases when they come out.  I believe the person uses and modifies ygopro scripts to function and work within a tellnet/mud environment.  The project was mainly to have an accessible client for some visually impaired players and anyone else to play with each other.

On the creatures front, i vaguely remember a pokemon mush that actually had a fully working battle and raising system that was automated like the game.  However, I also remember it involving some rping in between your sessions with raising your mons.  Need to go and hunt down the info for that one.