The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Funniest thing you've ever done in a MUD  (Read 5821 times)

Ezmodius

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Funniest thing you've ever done in a MUD
« on: May 05, 2018, 5:42 PM »
So I play this MUD called MUME (multi users of middle earth).  It has a 3 way race war but back then it was just "white" side (elves, humans, hobbits, etc.) against the dark side.  Aside from orcs and trolls, the dark side also has evil men which can cast spells.  The most important of which, to me, was "block door" (like in the LotR book).  Now in MUME you need to get to level 26 to be "legend" before you start pking ideally.  But me, I always hated xping so as soon as I got the block door spell and the store spell, I ran off to make some trouble.

So the game has lots of skills and any class can practice any thing so long as there is a guild master to teach you.  Trolls can't learn the "hide" skill because no one can teach them.  However, at this time the game had a bug where if you hide with the highest effort ("hide thorough") there was a small chance you would hide anyway.  Now troll players tend to be like real trolls: not too bright and always looking for trouble.  It probably took me rl 2 hours to get those trolls hidden in a good spot.  First, the command itself usually failed.  Then when it would work, the trolls would ask me if it worked and when I said it did they would "dance" or something that unhid them.  Then the other troll laughed and danced as well and I could start over.

Well, I eventually got them both hidden so I ran off to lure someone into my trap.  At the time the game had recently introduced Beornings: humans that can "meta" into bears.  And they also tend to fight a lot because they don't need equipment to fight.  So I found 2 bears, told them what I thought of them and their families and of course they came to register their objections to my characterisations.  They came in and hit me, I closed the door and started the block, which couldn't be stopped from a hit because it was stored.  It could be stopped by a bash though.  Now I should mention that I had given the trolls strict instructions not to do anything unless the door gets blocked.  Let me die in need be but don't give away this trap.  So the block landed, I ate the bash, was about to die when the trolls burst out of hiding, rescued me and then we slaughtered those bears.  One of them later said he had to read the log [1] 2 or 3 times before he figured out where those trolls came from.

The next day there was a post on the justice board that the next person to abuse the hide bug would eat a demote. And so ended my career of the hiding troll trap.  ;)

[1] http://www.elvenrunes.de/cgi-bin/logs/show.m?log=62991,50259&start=0&omode=&plain=1&typ=blast

Flint Stovetop

• View Profile
Re: Funniest thing you've ever done in a MUD
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 5:30 PM »
Truthfully this is not my story, but an ex-Staff Sergeant's of mine and on Everquest.  He was a druid and apparently at the time decently leveled and tricked out.  Before they went the route of ruining the games of all the expansions, the higher planes and making skills useless which in turn made certain classes basically worthless as well, he decided to go to one of the main open towns or areas, ones that at their peak could lag the whole area.

He went into a tornament and was doing decently well, but then started seeing people screaming on the chat window and then started noticing people dropping... Apparentlg either he was not aware of the rules or had forgotten, but he was using a myriad of spells including both single action and mob ones.  So in effect he was killing not only his opponent, but all the spectators and passer byers with in range.  ^_^

terror923

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 2:22 PM »
funniest thing ive ever done was my best moment in gaming history that no one understands anymore.

North
You go north.
North
You cannot go that way.
North
You cannot go that way
Gossip : Why can't i go north?
Random person Gossips : What do you mean?
Gossip : Whenever I try to go north it says "You cannot go north"
Same person Gossips : Thats because you can't go north anymore
Gossip(trolling) : No it you don't understand it says "you" cannot go north not me
lots of gossips : lol *and the like*
Admin gossips: im so sorry ill fix that // *admin teleports me to a room with exits in all sides that keep going forever
Admin whispers you : let me know when "you" cant go north anymore
You tell Admin : Thanks!
Admin gossips : Guys i think hes good he can go north now

Sarocyn

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 3:09 PM »
I was a monk and the mud I was playing on implemented a new skill that had like a 0.5% of instant killing things. I knew that the coder that put that skill in was pretty new to mud coding and probably didn't understand all the checks that needed to be put into place with something like that. Oh, and did i mention it was spammable with -no- lag either?

So, I started a little ruckus and managed to grab the attention of an Imm that I despise. He came down and smited me and was being an all around prick. So I said screw it and him and just spammed the skill. Within a few seconds he was dead.

The other Imms found it so hilarious, that they gave me a new container to use that was his corpse. He was not pleased and eventually found an excuse to strip me of all my gear and permanently lower my stats. I stopped mudding for a long time after that.

Hades_Kane

• TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 6:38 PM »
I was a monk and the mud I was playing on implemented a new skill that had like a 0.5% of instant killing things. I knew that the coder that put that skill in was pretty new to mud coding and probably didn't understand all the checks that needed to be put into place with something like that. Oh, and did i mention it was spammable with -no- lag either?

So, I started a little ruckus and managed to grab the attention of an Imm that I despise. He came down and smited me and was being an all around prick. So I said screw it and him and just spammed the skill. Within a few seconds he was dead.

The other Imms found it so hilarious, that they gave me a new container to use that was his corpse.

Everything up to here is awesome lol :)

But what a baby for that imm not to find that in good humor :p
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

Epilogy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 7:37 PM »
But what a baby for that imm not to find that in good humor :p

I've gotten spammed out by some of my things. There's a tentacle in one of my areas that would, for whatever reason, kill you with rapid repetition if you tried to fight it. That should be impossible, but it was targeting the character in a ghost state, as well. That tentacle did not caribou.

But it would kill you XX times, and in all that, you'd usually hit a buffer overflow in GMUD.... so the disconnect is just added insult to injury. GMUD was really bad about its buffer overflows, so much that I think if it hit 40 lines being received at once... %%%Disconnected from Server. YAAAY. But after having people drop their inventory and flood me out of the game so many times, over so many years... it was kind of funny as a builder to see things break in unexpected ways.

Really glad I finally fixed that, and upgraded to a better client after so many years. A little off-topic, sorry.

Molly

• TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 8:00 AM »
In the first mud I ever played, which was new and under development, the head imp, a female, was a total bitch. She was also a bit of a prude, who instantly slammed down on any "bad language" on the open channels. I was new to muds, and also Swedish, and used to very free speech, so we very soon clashed. Also the culture and classification of what was offensive seemed to differ a bit between the two countries. My favourite expessions when something went wrong in battle - which it frequently did - were "piss" and "sh**", and she used to mute me a lot for saying that on the gossip channel. In time, as I advanced in the mud, our relations grow more and more tense.

What irked me in particular was the horrible way in which she treated her staff, many of whom had by then become my friends. She used to berate the other imms publicly for not doing enough work, in particular the coder, who by then was a really close friend of mine.

One of her more annoing habits was to suddenly appoint new imms without any obvious qualifications for the job. The explanation for that was, that in spite of her prudish appearance, she was into mudsex, (which I've always found a bit ridiculous myself).

Anyhow, she had retreated into her private quarters with her latest pet, who was a total newbie to any Imm tasks apart from mudsex, and especially to imm commands.

So, when he was about to reach his "Grand Finale", he mischannelled, and broadcasted his message over the entire mud, which was very well populated at the time.

I almost died laughing.
Molly O'Hara of 4 Dimensions
4Dimensions.org Port 6000

twillsinc

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 1:45 PM »
I murdered my husband on my wedding night?

Delphine

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 4:00 PM »
Goodness. I've done so many stupid things. There was this one time where I was trying to hand all of my coins to someone but it was the middle of the night and I was tired, so instead of typing "give all coins to X", I typed, "give all to X," and my very prudish elf lady promptly stripped right there in the bank and gave all of her clothes to the man in question.

I was so mortified. But we had a good laugh :D
Player of Zia de la Croix, merchant extraordinaire, on New Worlds Ateraan

maary

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 11:00 AM »
Not me, but a fellow player.
Newer player, decided she wanted to birth several mixed race babies. She'd already given birth twice, so it seemed she should know what to do/how to do it. But she was suddenly having problems getting pregnant. There was a few Archons on, and it became a long topic on OOC.
After much back and forth & the most hilarious conversation I've seen on OOC, it was discovered that she was still wearing pants while mating, AND that the mate she had called was neutered/had no actual gender.