The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Bizarre Security  (Read 7880 times)

secrete

• View Profile
Re: Bizarre Security
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 11:15 AM »
Looks like I'm glad my account is old enough I didn't have to deal with these questions... or it's been long ago enough that I don't remember having trouble with it.
Lorana of EoT

Solitaire_

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 2:40 PM »
I want to say it was 256 as well. But I got hung up on the same point. Yes I had to google a little bit of trivia to answer one or two of the questions, but if I remember correctly, the math question just seemed like it was phrased weird. It's been a little bit since I did it, but I recall trying to figure out which part of the problem I was supposed to double. The answer? The problem? The last number of it?

Thankfully I got beyond it, but at the time is was more annoying than anything else.

Darkozx

• Owner of Dragonball Evolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2018, 12:15 AM »
You people are sooo damn simple if you cannot figure out "order of operations". I assume none of you were taught this or you just failed to pay attention. Nothing is worded wrong about that equation at all besides everyone's lack of understand for math. Go back to school everyone who cannot solve that equation.
Dragonball Evolution, the longest running DBZ MUD online!
Address: evolution.wolfpaw.net
Port: 1874

Agda

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2018, 8:42 AM »
You people are sooo damn simple if you cannot figure out "order of operations". I assume none of you were taught this or you just failed to pay attention. Nothing is worded wrong about that equation at all besides everyone's lack of understand for math. Go back to school everyone who cannot solve that equation.

It is not an equation at all. It is an expression... Back to school yourself maybe?

Solitaire_

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2018, 9:37 AM »
Woah, calm down there gatekeeper. The fact that I'm here to complain about it would suggest that I did indeed 'figure it out'.  Just that it took a try or two. So did trying to figure out which syntax of what MUD and MUSH stands for was correct, does missing the hyphen in that also mean that I am simple?

If anything, we are only pointing out that the entry barrier for simply creating a account to +1 our home MUD/MUSH/MOO is fairly high compared to almost anything else similar. Understandably so after reading why, but not many people will try to register and expect a quiz on top of it.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 10:48 AM by Solitaire_ »

Bronn

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2018, 10:15 AM »

"Not everyone is as good at something as me?! I guess they're stupid then!" ::)

It's a fairly perplexing barrier to registration. It has no relevance to MUDs and the equation expression is phrased in English instead of using symbols and superscript. It can see how it would take some time to parse for someone whose last experience with mathematics beyond simple addition and multiplication was in high school, or for someone whose first language isn't English.

I'll throw my hat into the group of people confused as to why this site doesn't use captcha software. It's accessible, everyone understands how to use it, and there are captcha plugins out there for SMF.

Flint Stovetop

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2018, 11:17 PM »
You people are sooo damn simple if you cannot figure out "order of operations". I assume none of you were taught this or you just failed to pay attention.

I remember now my math teacher saying, "You better pay attention, because one day you are going to go to a forum and they are going to ask you really dumb and ridiculous questions just to be able to register..." And you know what?  He was right...

Nothing is worded wrong about that equation at all besides everyone's lack of understand for math. Go back to school everyone who cannot solve that equation.

And yes because clearly I have had to keep up with "X's and Y's" throughout my entire life since school.  No, mostly just "F's and U's"...

Darkozx

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2018, 12:22 AM »
I'm sorry that you'll never have to do real math outside of a calculator. I wish I could live a life like that, the simple life eh?

Epilogy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2018, 12:56 AM »
I'm sorry that you'll never have to do real math outside of a calculator. I wish I could live a life like that, the simple life eh?

I'd argue that most real math is done on a supercomputer you couldn't afford over 100 lifetimes, but... you're enjoying your moment.

Someone please take away his pack of balloons.

desharei

• TMC Member
  • Armagedding since 2002
    • View Profile
    • ArmageddonMUD
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2018, 12:43 AM »

You're so damned simple if you cannot figure out "basic grammar and sentence structure." I assume you were never taught this, or you simply failed to pay attention. Everything you posted is worded incorrectly, demonstrating your lack of understanding of basic grammar and sentence structure. Go back to school, you who cannot write a simple paragraph.

Furthermore, the last time I needed to know the order of operations in a mathematics problem was over 15 years ago, when I took C++, VB6.0, Advanced VB6.0, and Advanced C++. I didn't even actually need to know the order of operations. I just had to plug in the data, add the libraries, and hit the compile button. I don't remember the order of operations, nor do I care to look it up. It has no bearing on my life and when it does, if it does, I'm smart enough to know how to find it.

Lastly, it's maths, not math. That really irks me. Maths is short for mathematics. Mathematic is an adjective, not a noun.

Darkozx

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2018, 1:04 AM »
Hahaha, I got you upset. I wins. I like MATHS!

Flint Stovetop

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2018, 11:04 PM »
It needs to be changed one way or the other.  There is no reason it has to be this difficult just to register to the forums.  We have enough problems as it is with a very low player base for MUDs in general.  Let's not complicate things and make it worse by fresh blood over looking both the games and the forum.  Some might have dire questions, but no other way to ask them or want to vote and are incapable of doing so.  This hurts us all and helps no one.

And what was the actual answer to the math problem?  Some gave what they thought, but what is it?

Bronn

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 11:07 PM »
It's definitely 256.

Hawksmoor

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2018, 11:23 PM »
It is, though the way I read the question, I thought it could also be 100...

Darkozx

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 11:54 PM »
Order of operations, google it, learn it and use it.