The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Bizarre Security  (Read 1734 times)

Deschain19

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Bizarre Security
« on: May 04, 2018, 4:09 PM »
The sole reason I created this account was so I could vote on the MUDs that I enjoy. That said, the layers of security I have to go through to vote are ludicrous.  First, I run into this nightmare captcha that took me Nth tries to get right. https://imgur.com/YmfqkPb I tried Multi-user with and without the hyphen, I tried every interpretation of MUSH I've ever heard. Multi-user Shared Hallucination, Multi-User Shared Habitat, Multi-user Shared Hack... etc. Finally, that question was changed to one that's much more common knowledge. What city was DIKU mud written in? And now I have to write 5 forum posts before I can FINALLY vote for my favorite MUD? While I understand that voting bots are an issue, this is discouraging real players from voting. Make the captcha more complex if bots are figuring it out. If you require people to jump through an hour's worth of hoops before letting them vote, the votes aren't going to accurately reflect user interest anyways.

Bronn

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Re: Bizarre Security
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 4:46 PM »
The five forum post rule was made with good intentions but it mostly seems to just result in spam where new accounts necro old threads to get their five posts in.

Hades_Kane

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 5:18 PM »
There's been some of that, but it also has encouraged a lot more people to come out of lurkdom and post.

There's no perfect solution, and it might scare off a voter or two, but weighed against the votes not meaning anything because MUDs are just running bots, I personally think its worth the cost.
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

Bronn

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 6:07 PM »
That's a fair point. And the rankings certainly seemed to have evened out now that there's been a reset.

Flint Stovetop

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 5:12 PM »
Jesus Christ!  The questions are complete over kill!  There is absolutely no reason for it.  Even if you justify trying to fend off bots, just make the questions easier for the common person to guess at.  No one has time for shenanigans like these. MUDs are already an endangered species, lets not make it even harder for the inquisitive new person to come and have questions. If it was not for me just wanting to bitch about it, I would of given up long before I finally got in.  There has got to be a better way.

Jodah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 9:11 PM »
I agree.  The posting rule is also ludicrous.  All it does is create a bunch of nonsense posts and spam, and then they are back to full time lurking.  Pointless.

Flint Stovetop

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 11:14 PM »
My original post may have been a bit harsh, but that was after spending quite some time just trying to get registered, although I still stand by what I said. If we are worried about bots who can spam vote, what about making each voter not only be logged in, but also have an email sent back to your account that you must go to and click on a link to verify said vote? Whether you use chapata or what ever you have type to prove you are not a bot after the verification link is up to you.  Just please no more hair pulling questions... I do not have much left as it is. ^_^

nullscan

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 3:27 AM »
Just please no more hair pulling questions...

If a tree falls in the forest...