The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Eating and Drinking  (Read 11646 times)

Flint Stovetop

• View Profile
Re: Eating and Drinking
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2018, 12:15 AM »
I give a few reasons why hunger and thirst is a decent play mechanic and use ARM as a good example and now I and or we are advertising for the game?

There are plenty of reasons to hate ARM if you like.  The ridiculous and tedious initial set up and approval process.  The always having to roleplay and be in character is annoying and permadeath I have never enjoyed.  But to each their own.

Yet this topic was about hunger and thirst which ARM does well.  Why are people whinning about it?  Your game not as good?

Bronn

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2018, 8:37 AM »
I think we can discuss Armageddon's hunger and thirst system if we can accept that the statement that Arm does it well is totally subjective and there are, in fact, reasons to suggest that Arm doesn't do hunger and thirst very well at all.

desharei

• TMC Member
  • Armagedding since 2002
    • View Profile
    • ArmageddonMUD
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2018, 9:41 AM »
Hah, I say we should petition the OP to change the Subject to Armageddon promo. Great job hijacking to advertise your mud.

Given their aggressiveness here, and on reddit, I'm fairly sure they're being given some kind of incentive. Ateraan left a large vacuum, so I guess the award of "will you please shut the **** up already" now goes to armageddon.

See - every time people derail the topic to criticize players of a game, off-topic, you encourage people like me to chime in and correct you.

The incentive doesn't come from the game, it comes from TheMudconnector.  The voting system was changed on Mudconnector, such that people who want to vote now have to post. Many Arm players had been voting, and registered, but never posted. So they found topics of interest, or made new ones, or added their names to existing "Hello" posts, in order to get their count up so that they'd be eligible to vote again.

Many of these folks are folks who have been around all along, and have been voting, UNTIL the recent changes. They're being "vocal" only because of those changes. They've never read this forum before, they have no idea who the "usual" posters are, or the general courtesy and protocol and politics involved in contributing.

I know all of that, because I've been with this forum since the late 1990's in one form or another. I know that when someone posts something that is absolutely incorrect about a game, people will post to correct them. If you want this thread to stop talking about this one specific game, stop criticizing it in this thread and maybe come up with a new thread that exists just to criticize the game.

Notice that I haven't mentioned the game at all in this post. You have though. And yet, I am pretty sure you're not trying to advertise the game.

Hunger, thirst - some games do it as a feature, and it is one of dozens of features that combine to attract certain types of game players. Others do it because it came with the stock code, and the game owners have chosen to leave it in and not touch it (or maybe they didn't know how to take it out). And others have removed the code completely, while still others never had it in, in the first place. DIKU comes with it. Some DIKU-rivatives have tweaked it to work for their genre. Others have not. It's ALL subjective. The entire subject of "whether or not hunger/thirst is a good thing for a game" is subjective. It really depends on the game, and the overall community of players of each particular game.

Specifics have been posted.

Xander Carinus

• View Profile
    • Carinus
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2018, 12:20 PM »
In my project, eating and drinking is a thing, however it doesn't damage the character, rather, it damages their mentalstate.  It is not something that happens every 5 minutes, but eventually it does happen. 

I think it adds a bit to the realism, but as a player of many RPGs (console) that do not require it... it's a feature that really isn't missed. But I ask... what is the point of skills like 'cooking' if there is no requirement to eat?

I may opt to remove the feature completely.. but I would want to do more research and see how others have used it. 
If killing them with kindness doesn't work, a sword works pretty well.

Redskull

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2018, 3:11 AM »
i don't mind eating and drinking as you can just write a script to take care of both, I would rather eat and drink to ensure success and fast regen instead of leaving it to chance.

Gicker

• View Profile
    • d20MUD: Star Wars
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2018, 10:29 AM »
We just recently implemented a new eating/drinking system on Age of Dragons.  Basically food and drink become equipable items.  Different food/drinks offer different bonuses to stats.  Each tick, the food/drink is reduced by one serving.  When serving reaches zero, the item is removed (and extracted in the case of food) and the player no longer receives the bonus to stat(s).
d20MUD Star Wars: Role Play, PvE & PvP using d20 and SAGA rules
www.d20mud.com d20mud.com port 6000

4th Age Dragonlance Role Play & Adventure
ageofdragons.com port 4000

thenumberoned

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2018, 12:41 AM »
We just recently implemented a new eating/drinking system on Age of Dragons.  Basically food and drink become equipable items.  Different food/drinks offer different bonuses to stats.  Each tick, the food/drink is reduced by one serving.  When serving reaches zero, the item is removed (and extracted in the case of food) and the player no longer receives the bonus to stat(s).

That sounds like a pretty nifty idea, makes eating and drinking something fun or good to do rather than a nuisance, i'm assumign it also lets you know when your character is about to be hungry vs thirsty.., before it happens.

Gicker

• View Profile
    • d20MUD: Star Wars
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2018, 12:50 PM »

That sounds like a pretty nifty idea, makes eating and drinking something fun or good to do rather than a nuisance, i'm assumign it also lets you know when your character is about to be hungry vs thirsty.., before it happens.

It does give a notification prior to the food/drink item expiring.
d20MUD Star Wars: Role Play, PvE & PvP using d20 and SAGA rules
www.d20mud.com d20mud.com port 6000

4th Age Dragonlance Role Play & Adventure
ageofdragons.com port 4000

julius2

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2018, 9:12 AM »
With eating and drinking it depends alot on the tipe of game. I prefer games where food does something beside fill you. Like heal you or give you extra power for a time. That makes it more like a game and less like real life.

secrete

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2018, 9:15 AM »
That makes it more like a game and less like real life.

I concur. I don't want it to feel like real life.
Lorana of EoT

perseforis

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2018, 9:01 AM »
Hunger or thirst as a compulsory mechanism, as noted by many above, generally detracts from the player experience, and is therefore undesirable.

The addition of capacity to eat/drink to provide benefit to a character, however, as an optional addition, is a sound mechanism. This can take the form of temporary bonuses, or healing.

I prefer a mud with a continuous-gameplay style (i.e. no waiting for healing) which a food/drink mechanism can provide. A good example is End of the Line, where eating/drinking mostly serves a healing purpose.

Darkozx

• Owner of Dragonball Evolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2018, 2:12 PM »
Good example also would have been the other MUDs that were mentioned to give a healing boost with eating and drinking. I would suggest End of Time instead of Line though. They were mentioned first and not part of a 5 post spam to be able to vote.
Dragonball Evolution, the longest running DBZ MUD online!
Address: evolution.wolfpaw.net
Port: 1874

LokiCM

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2018, 10:57 AM »
There are very valid reasons for in-game hunger/thirst mechanics, especially on a heavily RP game.  In WOW, I used to pride myself on bringing the food to raid.  On CoffeeMUD, we have a broad variety of foods available that currently just sate the hunger/thirst mechanics to prevent you from dying. 

However, I agree with the concept that there should be some added incentives to seek food beyond the simple bodily-function that hunger/thirst systems emulate, and I would like to pose to the community the ECONOMIC impact of hunger/thirst systems.  Characters that can create their own foods have a distinct economic advantage over characters that have to buy food.  Classes that have abilities to stave off hunger or instantly create drinks drive players to want to have that sort of character as a support for their team/guild/group/clan (they are economical to the team).  I have found basic hunger/thirst mechanics to have provided many opportunities to diversify races, as well, such as races that are allergic to meat, or races that have specialized eating mechanics (Mindflayers, for example).  So, how hunger/thirst is handled can create some excellent opportunities for the game. 

Of course, I do recognize that some players do not like these mechanics, but I think of them as another puzzle within the MUD to overcome.