The Mud Connector

Author Topic: In the mood for something different?  (Read 2656 times)

Kolem

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
In the mood for something different?
« on: April 26, 2018, 1:16 AM »
Greetings, Users!  Are you tired of bog standard Deku Stick-in-the-Muds? Are you yearning for an experience unlike anything else out there? Are you hoping for a chance to shine in a world that's quirky and quintessentially mished and mashed and mired in mixed-up madness?   Maybe you're just sick of worlds that insist on names that 'fit the theme'*, or realms that demand rent!  Maybe you're looking to engage with your builders on a more conversational level, or hoping for a world with countless secrets in store! Perhaps dire combat with behemoths of unfathomable strength and skill is more your speed? Well, friends-I-haven't-made-yet, have I got a place for YOU.

Imagine a world where you can be a sentient bipedal tortoise, a fuzzy white furry thing with a pompom, a hyper-advanced automaton, a furious space monkey, a sentient mobile fungus, or even one of those degenerate HUMANS, among others!  It's not far away, either!

Welcome:
To the CLEFT OF DIMENSIONS.

A total cosmic accident (or is it?), the Cleft of Dimensions is a hyper-customized MUD with quests galore in just about every corner of the vast pair of continents, dozens of islands, deep dungeons, and even out in the atmosphere and in space!  And when I say 'quests', I don't mean "Go, yon traveler, and slay X of Y! He has been terrorizing the townfolk!" quests, I mean back to bones and basics Q-WESTS.  Some examples:

• Get shafted with community service!
  • Challenge gyms all across Guardia and become a Pokemon Haver!**
  • Battle a series of insane robots to the death in hopes of creating world peace!
  • Pick your way through lost-woods-esque mazes!
  • Find the lost relic of the Great Explorer!
  • Go to Altamera Boardwalk and enjoy the carnival! Ride the Hekran, Challenge SMASH STADIUM!

"But," I hear you say, "Sure, all these races and quests are COOL, but what about the jobs? Surely you don't expect me to murder-hobo my way through life."  True. Murder-hoboing is an oversaturated market, so consider these fine alternatives, offered at character creation! 

KNIGHT: Be made of meat (or circuitry) that is very hard to kill! Be a cool thing who smashes motorcycles into people, with no thought or fear of the premiums or consequences! Alternatively, embrace total zealotry, and set fire to yourself in a cross between protest activism and angry sword-ing-ism!

WARRIOR: Welcome to the MEAT DIMENSION. You're here to PUMP YOU UP and BEAT THEM DOWN, and you're all out of pump! Wait, what?... Try one of several cool martial art styles!  Challenge people to street fights to the death, or master every weapon under the sun!

THIEF: The original combat pragmatist! Run away without fretting about cost or self-image! Steal loot! Know the serene bliss of short, pointy dangerous objects!

WIZARD: Blow them up with JUST THE POWER OF YOUR MIND. That's mind bullets, Holmes! Also, supreme magical powers are just a couple practices away! Master various elemental attacks to punish your foes!

PRIEST: Be a master of ambiguous morality and everyone's best friend! Become practically immortal with your mastery of the healing (and un-healing) arts!

SUMMONER: Keep your hands clean while a variety of creatures and conjures do the dirty work for you! Learn to charm friends to thrash enemies! Summoners eventually can call creatures from across the entire world--without so much as a telephone!

GEOMANCER: Become the deadliest of meteorologists! Use the powers of nature, Captain-planet style, for a botanical beatdown! Create fruit-based explosives, and never go hungry!

DANCER: Confuse and beguile your foes with SICK STEPS and ROCKING TUNES. Bash heads with the power of Polka!

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

If these classes aren't enough of a tantalizing treat for you, consider EVOLVING, which can branch each Job to suit your tastes! Be the master of your fate!

What's this? Not convinced yet? Perhaps you might be enticed by the thought of an active and engaging community, with several regulars who'll be happy to meet and greet you every day! How about being spoiled by having direct access to Immortals / builders with a fancy-pantsy Note system for bug catching and squashing, community area reviews every month with gratitude prizes, an active Discord for roleplaying or just chatting about life, and even a custom-built java client with built-in sound effects and colors? How about striking ASCII art, hidden and scattered about, or NPCs that you can hold conversations with--or at least talk to? Or perhaps I can give the most powerful endorsement of all: I've actively played in the Cleft for literal years, and still haven't discovered all the secrets tucked away, partly because the builders are adding new content! And for those of you who prefer to feel powerful... The Cleft has an incredible REMORT system! Upon reaching the highest possible level, the player is free to begin all over again--with one skill or spell from their old life per resurrection! Hone your skills, and create a creature with a unique style and flair!

With no rent and no class and species choice completely unreasonable or impossible, what have you got to lose? I hope to see you soon!

--Kolem

*Disclaimer: Mods and builders can delete people who use slurs or offensive language for names. Come on. Don't be that guy.
**Actually having Pokemon may require reincarnation. See dealer for details. No money down.

desharei

• TMC Member
  • Armagedding since 2002
    • View Profile
    • ArmageddonMUD
Re: In the mood for something different?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 7:45 AM »
Very tempted to try this based only on the quality and entertainment-value of the ad itself!

If you put as much into the game as you did in this post, the game is destined to be a success!

DeusSpud

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 10:09 AM »
For a more perfect summary we couldn't hope to get better that our boy Kolem here.

I will, however, try.

I've been a part of the Cleft for, oh. 13? Years? I forget, I'm bad at the memory stuff. But: I do know that it's the first mud I was on, and having tried more than a few since, it's the only one I want to be on.

Some personal highlights for me:
-Immortals who are people. Wanna ask a question? Wanna suggest content? Wanna just trade a few jokes with a friend? That's our immies alright.
-Roleplay? Hoo boy we got some roleplay. From random public get-togethers to long (years) running arcs full of more character development than you can shake a two handed stick at.
-New content? Like bruh. All the time. I wanna say the immortals have like, at least 10 areas in the works right now?
-Players? Not to fluff my own sense of pride here, but we are pretty dang awesome. From awesome cooking shows hosted by yours truly, to great tips and tricks and hints about playing the game if you ask, well, anyone, the only thing we're missing playerwise? Is you.

C'mon, try us out sometime.
-Forte

kakkaranjace

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 10:42 AM »
Kolem's introduction is just that, too - an introduction.  There's FAR more to the Cleft of Dimensions that could ever be mentioned in one post, including (but not limited to) a remort system that allows for unlimited varieties of multiclassing opportunity, frequent updates and active/sociable staff, and occasional staff-run events and games.  We even have a Discord for people to hang out and chat with the players and staff even when not actively logged into the game (https://discord.gg/WhSU6dW)!

EDIT: Forte jumped on some of what I'm mentioning now already before I got to posting it, but I'ma lob it anyway.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 10:44 AM by kakkaranjace »

Kermorvan

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 6:13 PM »
If you don't mind hunger/thirst I would say definitely give it a try. It is indeed a unique place and I enjoyed my time there.

Epilogy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 6:57 PM »
If you don't mind hunger/thirst

That's a very normal, very stock thing for ROM.

Jodah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 8:59 PM »
If u have to set triggers to eat and drink, what's the point of keeping it.  No point.

DeusSpud

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 9:39 PM »
If u have to set triggers to eat and drink, what's the point of keeping it.  No point.

... Uh, you don't have to set triggers to eat and drink? You just, have to sometimes eat some food and drink some water when the game calculates that you've run low on satiation and thirst?

Kermorvan

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 11:35 PM »
If you don't mind hunger/thirst

That's a very normal, very stock thing for ROM.

Yeah very stock, it was a surprise to see it actually given the rest of the mud is very custom. They have food/drink that gives bonuses which fine, don't like it don't get the bonus. However, they also have large (for a newbie anyway) penalties for being hungry/thirsty so no way to just ignore the hunger/thirst code. This has been debated plenty of times on other threads and I wouldn't want to derail this thread into another one. I don't play mud that have hunger/thirst that can not be just ignored. That said my original comment stands the mud is interesting and has some very cool features.

Kolem

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 3:29 AM »

I don't really understand this line of thinking. There are in fact races with differing hunger or thirst in our game, but I see those as avenues for fleshing out the world, rather than drawbacks. Hunger and thirst don't ever damage players, though they can cause stark problems--but they can also be exploited for things like incredibly powerful special moves that drain hunger, like the Warrior's berserk ability, or used to hide powerful restorative (or other) effects. Have you played a great many games where hunger and thirst aren't implemented?

EDIT: As an example, one of our races, Kirby, has the unique property of being able to consume all food items in their inventory at the same time--even if they're already full. This means they can stockpile foods with restorative or protective effects, and use them as a panic button.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 3:31 AM by Kolem »

desharei

• TMC Member
  • Armagedding since 2002
    • View Profile
    • ArmageddonMUD
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 11:19 AM »
Hunger and thirst code don't bother me as long as they're spaced apart by a reasonable real-world time window. If you have to eat or drink something every real-life half-hour, no matter what the circumstances or your character's surroundings, it could make for some incredibly awkward roleplay.

For instance - having to take a sip of a canteen every half hour makes sense if your character is riding around outside in a desert environment. But not if he's sitting down in his own apartment. Having to eat every half hour makes sense if he's doing a lot of physical exertion (burning a lot of calories) but not if he's just hanging out at the bar.

Darkozx

• Owner of Dragonball Evolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 2:33 PM »
Time to start an eating and drinking thread? It seems we could get some decent debates about it and find out how other MUDs handle it.
Dragonball Evolution, the longest running DBZ MUD online!
Address: evolution.wolfpaw.net
Port: 1874