The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Turning the key on a CoffeeMUD engine on a hosted server  (Read 2616 times)

Supermarket

• New to TMC
  • no
    • View Profile
It makes me feel silly to ask, but I'm a bit stuck on what to do in this situation.

I'm working on a project that uses CoffeeMUD as its base. Installing it on the server was no issue, that was pretty easy. I can use the command they tell you to (java classpath....etc) when CoffeeMUD is sitting on my own computer. However, it's on a server this time so when I run that command I get 'invalid command' back, even with Java installed on the server.

I haven't found a similar enough situation to this out there when I look this up, so it's leaving me a bit stuck on what to do. Does anyone have experience starting up a CoffeeMUD server when it's hosted elsewhere?

ykiu

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Re: Turning the key on a CoffeeMUD engine on a hosted server
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 8:05 PM »
You could find where java's installed with 'which java'.

Supermarket

• New to TMC
  • no
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 11:14 PM »
Oh thanks! I'll give that a shot. Should I do that once I cd to the subfolder where the CM software is, or should I do that at the root?

ykiu

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 12:53 PM »
'which java' should work from anywhere.  But if it shows you nothing, you'll have to look for where it's installed.  You could have been done by now if you'd looked up some basic linux terminal/bash tutorials.  That shouldn't be too hard for you if you've already gotten this far.  It's hard to remotely troubleshoot things like this, especially when the person entering the commands doesn't even understand basics like what the path is.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 12:56 PM by ykiu »

Supermarket

• New to TMC
  • no
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 2:35 PM »
It's definitely been a learning experience! I did get the answer on where it's installed so I'll fix that and  hope this works. Will update when I'm done! I also hope this thread helps the next person that runs into this situation too.

Gicker

• View Profile
    • d20MUD: Star Wars
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 6:05 PM »
If you use Facebook, I recommend joining this group for getting CoffeeMUD specific help: https://www.facebook.com/groups/115679705136630/
d20MUD Star Wars: Role Play, PvE & PvP using d20 and SAGA rules
www.d20mud.com d20mud.com port 6000

4th Age Dragonlance Role Play & Adventure
ageofdragons.com port 4000

Gicker

• View Profile
    • d20MUD: Star Wars
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 6:07 PM »
Also, I think you're looking for ./InstallUNIX.sh and ./mudUNIX.sh ran in that order, from the CM root dir.
d20MUD Star Wars: Role Play, PvE & PvP using d20 and SAGA rules
www.d20mud.com d20mud.com port 6000

4th Age Dragonlance Role Play & Adventure
ageofdragons.com port 4000

Supermarket

• New to TMC
  • no
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 10:09 PM »
If you use Facebook, I recommend joining this group for getting CoffeeMUD specific help: https://www.facebook.com/groups/115679705136630/

Hey Gicker! That's fantastic, thank you. I love CM and how easy it is to build rooms with--really lets me explore what I can make and have fun. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it a lot!

Supermarket

• New to TMC
  • no
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 4:00 AM »
Update for anyone wanting the end of this mystery: csh module wasn't installed! That was why nothing worked as it should have.