The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Mobile Mudding  (Read 10330 times)

Finder_WD

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Mobile Mudding
« on: April 15, 2018, 3:01 AM »
Hey TMC,

I wanted to get a sense if the shift in mobile mudding was going towards an app per-game model, remote pc like team viewer, or dedicated app like BlowTorch or MUDRammer.

I used to use BlowTorch quite often because the customizable touch screen buttons and chat window made it very easy to play my mud, but it has crash issues for me and others I play with, I dont think there have been many updates for either app in some time. Recently I have been enjoying the remote pc approach because my client can support a broader set of scripts vs app, but the obvious downside is having a lot of pc uptime and some lag.

Do you play mobile, how so? I think an easy to use flexible app is the best way to go if you have the coder team behind it, mobile mudding was one of the ways I was able to get back into these games a few years back and I think it is key for new player retention.

Hades_Kane

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
Re: Mobile Mudding
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 11:57 AM »
I only connect mobile whenever my home connection drops and I was in the middle of a conversation, or I need to move away from my PC and I'm in the middle of a conversation.

I've never tried a mobile MUD client that was intuitive, and using a physical keyboard's numpad for directional movement is a vital, core part of how I play.  Not to mention, touch screen keyboards are terrible without auto correct and predictive text... but those things are also terrible in a MUD where character names, skill/spell names, and commands aren't normal English words.

However, I've seen plenty of people routinely play from mobile on my MUD, so this is just my "damn kids get off my lawn" opinion about playing on mobile.... I'll never do it (seriously) because I need a full sized, physical keyboard.
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

Tijer

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 12:43 PM »
The best mobile mud client i used was Blowtorch (when i had an android phone) but since its not been updated in close to 7 years its no longer very useable.

When i made the switch to iOS i started to use MUDRammer which is pretty decent, just not as Hades_Kane says, with autocorrect and predictive text, but when i use it on my ipad with my keyboard cover its very usable.  Only issues i have with it is the ANSI colors dont show the correct colors, but other than that its a cool app!
--Tijer
War of Legend    • Mud • Waroflegend.net port 4200   • Web • http://www.waroflegend.net
Aadarian Realms • Mud • Aadaria.net port 1111/1114  • Web • http://www.aadaria.com

Vladaar07

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
    • Classic 6Dragons
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 5:43 PM »

Breaker_Asylum

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 8:45 PM »
If you are an android user like me, Mudluk is an awesome mud client, with adjustable font, ansi color and a few other good things. Everything you need is in that little lovely client. IF you have android. Other than that, I don't use blowtorch anymore either, it just crashes too much to be reliable or steady or proper mud gameplay.

Finder_WD

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 9:59 PM »
Has anyone found a mud that has their own client that they believe to be really good?

Breaker_Asylum

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 10:22 PM »
amud 3k, 3 kingdoms is a great mud, lots of players, lots of freedom. Although it has nothing to do with 3 kingdoms era china

Tasarla

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 1:41 AM »
I use Mukluk as well. It allows me to check in and deal with things although I don't try to RP from it. I use it for discussion and moderation when I'm on breaks from work.

Jodah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 3:35 AM »
I'll never do it (seriously) because I need a full sized, physical keyboard.

Interestingly enough, they make full size portable bluetooth keyboards that can easily link up to your phone.  I have used those on occasion.  Kind of funny mudding with a full keyboard and little tiny phone screen.

RahjIII

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
    • The Last Outpost
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 11:15 AM »
Has anyone found a mud that has their own client that they believe to be really good?

The Last Outpost.

We just added our 68th zone this week, and we added the 'border wars' zone government code last month. Our web client works on PC, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS, and has touchscreen, keyboard, and speech-to-text depending on what your hardware supports. 

The only thing it is lacking is you...
"The Last Outpost"

MrDowntempo

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 1:57 PM »
Here is another possible mobile solution that I've used in the past. It requires a bit of tech skill. I used a raspberry pi running a minimal command line linux (like dietPi, but raspbian or ArchArm would work fine.) I leave it at home connected to my home network and use a service like DynDNS so that I can access it over the internet when I'm out and about and on my phone. On the device I have tintin++ installed, a powerful older CLI mud client with a relatively steep learning curve compared to BlowTorch or MushClient. I then use an SSH app (personally I use JUICE) on my android phone to ssh into my raspberry Pi. Then on the Pi, I telnet into a mud. This is great because when I'm home on my PC, I still SSH into it and telent into the mud from it. This keeps all my logs on one device instead of splitting them between desktop and mobile clients.

statesman

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 11:08 AM »
Blowtorch Test is my favorite app for mobile mudding, in spite of its frequent crashes. I haven't found anything else that works better, for me, overall.

ZeKing

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 3:57 AM »
What is the best app for mobile mudding?

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 9:16 AM »
Depends on what you like. I've used Mukluk and Blowtorch.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Epilogy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 1:14 PM »
Blowtorch Test is my favorite app for mobile mudding, in spite of its frequent crashes.

Don't forget having to completely uninstall the app, reinstall it, and set it up again once every few days.

Mukluk's colors don't work properly, and its features aren't great, but those aren't inconvenient to me, for what I use it for.

There really aren't any free, or paid mobile mud clients that can compare to what we have on actual computers.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 1:16 PM by Epilogy »