The Mud Connector

Author Topic: TMC's forums arent Mobile Friendly :(  (Read 2550 times)

Tijer

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
TMC's forums arent Mobile Friendly :(
« on: April 02, 2018, 3:20 PM »
As the subject states, the forums arent that mobile friendly, the version of SMF i run is however, so theres probably some kind of update which can be applied to this theme/version?

--Tijer
War of Legend    • Mud • Waroflegend.net port 4200   • Web • http://www.waroflegend.net
Aadarian Realms • Mud • Aadaria.net port 1111/1114  • Web • http://www.aadaria.com

nullscan

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
Re: TMC's forums arent Mobile Friendly :(
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 5:50 PM »
Making a website mobile-friendly is not trivial.  Particularly with TMC's Forums which have been around since before there was such a thing as a mobile browser, I doubt if the original Forums engine even has updates for that.

I don't know what you actually think "not mobile friendly" means, but unless your mobile device and browser are both real POS you should be able to resize TMC pages which are most likely laid out at an 800x600 or 1024x768 resolution meaning either 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio.  Your mobile device on the other hand is most likely a 1:2 (200x400 or vice versa when you lay it on its side), 3:2 (480x320/960x640) or 16:10 (800x480) aspect ratio.  So far as I'm aware you have to get a seriously high dollar device to get a legit aspect ratio for viewing web documents that are laid out for PC displays.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 5:52 PM by nullscan »

Jeshin OR

• TMC Member
  • Discord - Jeshin#6713
    • View Profile
    • Optional Realities
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 6:16 PM »
The website is easy enough to navigate on a mobile device but when you get to the forums you become stuck on the left side of the page. You can't resize and you can't really drag your way around either it moves very tiny amounts and is very unresponsive. You can try moving to the right multiple times without any success but it goes up and down fine. It's likely just a theme.CSS issue it uses SMF just like Armageddon MUD and plenty of other websites do.

Zandy

• Community Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 8:30 PM »
I use Chrome on my phone and the forums work just fine.  In landscape mode the window is a little wider than my screen but I can see all of the text without having to scroll right or left.  Navigating around and scrolling isn't any issue.

nullscan

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 12:10 AM »
Yeah to what Zandy said.  It's your browser, not the site.  I did peek into the page source and it's pulling some CSS and Javascript from google.com and several other remote locations.  My guess (without doing a real analysis of any kind, just a glance into the source) is that the javascript is doing some of the sizing/positioning and your browser just doesn't support a current version of ECMA.  My next guess would be that the CSS positioning/layout properties are newer than the version of CSS supported by your browser.

Viewing individual threads (only) is a little glitchy in my Android (using just the default Browser app that comes with it) in the same way that you describe, Jeshin, but not nearly as bad as you describe.  For example:  If I just try to swipe left and right (to move the page around, which is too wide for my phone in both portrait and landscape mode) then absolutely nothing happens - but if I begin to scroll slightly up or down first and then while in motion zig a bit left or right it does scroll left and right fluidly and at the same speed as the vertical scroll.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 12:13 AM by nullscan »

Jeshin OR

• TMC Member
  • Discord - Jeshin#6713
    • View Profile
    • Optional Realities
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 12:59 AM »
>_> I mean it's an iPhone released in 2017 with Safari and DuckDuckGo, I guess I should test with chrome since it used to work on their with my android.

nullscan

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 3:46 AM »
Sorry to say, Jeshin, but Safari has gone straight down the shithole since they quit making a PC/Windows port.  It used to be there was "The Big 5" browsers that any programmer worth his breakfast would make double-sure was fully compatible with their site, even though that's always meant rewriting a common function (common because ECMA demands it) to work with a single set of arguments and then if-else your way through that single function doing it THIS way for IE and THAT way for Firefox and SOME OTHER way for Safari and YET ANOTHER for Opera and I'M NOT EVEN KIDDING THAT IT'S A COMPLETELY DIFFO WAY FOR CHROME.  The problem is that what the function does is standardized but all these off the wall halfwits think they have a better way of doing it either via input types/parameters or output object fields/fieldtypes or whatever.  Even using a straight amateur-hour product like Dreamweaver, you could be pretty safely assured of cross-browser-compatibility.

Now that legit developers can't even test in Safari without spending cash on Apple devices, it's simply no longer a relevant browser.  That's not my opinion, that's actual reality.  Apple doesn't care about you, their users, except inasmuch as you're a purchaser of their product and a target for advertising, and developers aren't going to get sucked into it.

Tijer

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 5:50 AM »
iphone most recent version of ios... Safari and Chrome both pull to the left hand side of the forums in portrait ... non-forum parts of the site work fine.

TMC is the only site it does this on...
--Tijer
War of Legend    • Mud • Waroflegend.net port 4200   • Web • http://www.waroflegend.net
Aadarian Realms • Mud • Aadaria.net port 1111/1114  • Web • http://www.aadaria.com

nullscan

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 11:19 AM »
iphone most recent version of ios... Safari and Chrome both pull to the left hand side of the forums in portrait ... non-forum parts of the site work fine.

TMC is the only site it does this on...

There's a big difference between "TMC is the only forum it does this on" and "TMC is the only forum you use that it does this on."  You're likely to have this problem with any/all websites and things like forum platforms that are over 10 years old.

If starting to scroll vertically just before zigging left or right doesn't activate the horizontal scrolling too, then the real problem is your browser.

Try updating Chrome since Safari can only be counted on to be unsupported outside of Apple-specific websites.  If Chrome won't update, check its version against the current version of Chrome available for everything else.  It's possible that they quit updating for Apple devices for some reason.

Also try Firefox for iOS.  They've made some really dumb changes to Firefox since 2010 (stripping out user-configuration and user-access to many caching options) but they're still the best browser for cross-platform compat.

Tijer

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 12:21 PM »
There's a big difference between "TMC is the only forum it does this on" and "TMC is the only forum you use that it does this on."  You're likely to have this problem with any/all websites and things like forum platforms that are over 10 years old.

I run a version of SMF2.1 and the base theme, and it works fine on my phone, is only the phone that has this issue, and TMC forums run SMF2.0 and are the only forums that i have this issue on.  Looking more and more like its a forum theme issue, rather than an actual forum software issue, but does however make the forums unusable on my phone!
--Tijer

nullscan

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 3:07 PM »
Well theme/software are the same thing in websites XD

Like I said in my first post, the CSS is likely doing layouts for resolutions only in the 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratios while your phone is most likely 1:2, 3:2, or 16:10.  You could add a CSS media selector with explicitly modded/adapted display element options for those aspect ratios (I haven't looked at CSS lately but you used to have to do it for each individual resolution supported, not just the whole range in an aspect ratio, which is why I'm citing the age of the Forum as a key component to the issue). 

On top of that I looked into the CSS itself and the horizontal scrollbars are totally disabled.  That shouldn't matter though because those CSS scrollbar directives are strictly for when the page is laid out/rendered by a browser - it means "don't put a scrollbar on the element containing (for example) a forum post that should be wider than the container, just resize the content instead."  A well-behaved phone browser will still allow scrolling because it should be designed with aspect ratio conflicts in mind.  Edit to add:  Even if there is no mobile/aspect ratio problem in play, a browser designed by a grown-up would still present scrollbars when the page's CSS is wider than the actual screen/browser display window width, even when CSS specifies no scrollbars for document elements (including the document itself).

So again, yeah, you could put in a week or two of work examining the current CSS and adding new media selectors to match the look and feel but designed for the various aspect ratios, or you could just not use a shitty browser designed by the lowest bidder in the third world country with the consistently biggest exchange rate from USD to local currency.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 4:12 PM by nullscan »

RahjIII

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
    • The Last Outpost
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 4:36 PM »
As the subject states, the forums arent that mobile friendly, the version of SMF i run is however, so theres probably some kind of update which can be applied to this theme/version?

Time for the yearly "the default theme doesn't work on mobile and no one maintains TMC" discussion.

Its a problem with the TMC2013 custom theme, which happens to be the default.  See http://2013.mudconnect.com/SMF/Themes/TMC2013/css/index.css?fin20) at line 58.   The min-width is styled to 780px, and that causes the forum to run off the side of many mobile devices.   If someone would disable that style directive, the default TMC2013 theme would become a lot more usable on mobile devices.

As site users, you can't do anything about fixing it.  But you can change to a different theme if you are logged in and you dig deep enough.  Try this:

profile->account settings->Modify Profile->look and layout->current theme->(change)->coal black (use this theme)

Using that theme fixes the problem for me.
"The Last Outpost"

Tijer

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 3:30 AM »
that actually worked very well.. i thought i had changed the theme.. but the tmc theme checking isnt that intuitive lol.. thansk RahjIII :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 3:34 AM by Tijer »
--Tijer