The Mud Connector

Poll

Do you like playing in an area that has loops? (loops are never ending exits cuz it loops around)

Yes, loops don't bother me.
2 (18.2%)
Depends on the area, sometimes yes, sometimes no.
5 (45.5%)
No, loops indicate builder laziness
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Loops or no loops?  (Read 6406 times)

Tijer

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Loops or no loops?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 12:09 PM »
This is the visual accompanying these types of areas:

There is a "sector type to text" conversion for screen reader mode for all of our overworld / world map stuff, but something like this wouldn't be very forgiving for screen reader users, unfortunately.

There are no random exits or loops, and while we do have a maze generator incorporated into the game now, something like what I'm talking about would be static to give people a real, honest chance at eventually solving it.

Here's a 200x200 maze I just generated using the code (with the solution visible) to give you an idea of how the paths would typically go with both the generated mazes and each of the 25 "sections" of maze encompassing the full 1000x1000.

I mentioned we can generate mazes of different path sizes... The one before would be the single pixel width path (which is what the giant maze uses) but these are the others...

Apologies for hijacking the thread :p

We had something similar to that on my mud... Was pretty nifty as it would randomly generate each reboot... :)
--Tijer
War of Legend    • Mud • Waroflegend.net port 4200   • Web • http://www.waroflegend.net
Aadarian Realms • Mud • Aadaria.net port 1111/1114  • Web • http://www.aadaria.com

Darkozx

• Owner of Dragonball Evolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 6:42 PM »
You have this thought out quite a bit it seems, a lot more than I gave you credit for. I was just thinking this was a maze for fun or something similar. I'll say this seems a lot more interesting after your last post.
Dragonball Evolution, the longest running DBZ MUD online!
Address: evolution.wolfpaw.net
Port: 1874

Tamaska

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 12:29 PM »
I can see a use for them at times but they confuse me easily these days. I used to like trying to figure out mazes and loops but kids.. work, sleep deprivation equals scatterbrained these days.

scandum

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 11:07 PM »
It was a combination of three factors mostly... one was the challenge of IF I could do it (along with the whole learning more and increasing my knowledge/understanding of the code and whatnot), secondly (and really the MAIN reason) was for this Battle Royale mode I'm working on (and really, mostly done with, just need some testers for it), while the last one was the thought that if I could get this working, having both a maze generator (that can be completely random, be supplied a specific, numerical seed value to generate the same maze each time, or even base a seed value off of a player's name) and one really ridiculous, epicly difficult maze type area that spans the entire level range would just be a neat thing to have stuck in the corner of the game somewhere.
Using random seeds is definitely the way to go. There's probably a whole slew of cool things that can be done with random seeds that nobody ever thought of.

But essentially (and this is where the whole "will this get me more players" thing comes into play) is that we've added an "avatar" mode where a player (currently level 15 or higher) can create an "avatar", which upon entering into creation for this, it moves them to a separate "connection" state and kicks them into character creation mode... they create a character like normal (a few minor restrictions) and their descriptor is "switched" into the new character, who comes into the game at max level and into the battle arena "home" area, full "trains and practices" available to them, ALL class skills available to be learned within the area, etc.
I did something similar, though instead I linked the player descriptors to NPCs with access to all spells and skills. I had a little script to put all the players wanting a death match in a 100 room arena and they enjoyed duking it out quite a bit. I organized team fights as well, or matched up one player in a big NPC against a bunch of little NPCs.

Hades_Kane

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 2:02 PM »
I did something similar, though instead I linked the player descriptors to NPCs with access to all spells and skills. I had a little script to put all the players wanting a death match in a 100 room arena and they enjoyed duking it out quite a bit. I organized team fights as well, or matched up one player in a big NPC against a bunch of little NPCs.

Originally I was thinking/planning on using NPCs, as well... unfortunately the codebase has the whole "ch->PCDATA" thing SO entrenched into game, and I can't be sure every ->pcdata has a !IS_NPC check before it (they should... I'd like to think they do) so it seemed safer and less crash prone to go that route.
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

Jodah

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2018, 9:22 PM »
So just go through the whole code and make sure, if anyone can do it you can.

piguy314

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 5:33 PM »
If it's well done they are fine, but some loops can get obnoxious.