The Mud Connector

Poll

Should roleplay be enforced in a role playing game?

Yes, it keeps things in character, which is good
6 (60%)
No, people should be allowed to be out of character whenever they want
1 (10%)
highly encouraged, with rewards for RP
3 (30%)
Enforce certain channels only
0 (0%)
no one cares about true roleplay
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 30, 2018, 6:50 AM

Author Topic: Should roleplay be enforced?  (Read 5712 times)

Molly

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Should roleplay be enforced?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 3:44 AM »
What do you think?
I think you missed one very important option:
"Depends on the character of the Mud"
which is why I am not going to vote on the poll.
Molly O'Hara of 4 Dimensions
4Dimensions.org Port 6000

IFamiINIe

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 9:22 AM »
Guess it depends on the MUD.

Though I will say, I enjoy the idea of a RP enforced MUD. However, almost every RP enforced MUD I have played though has been the worst gameplay experience for me because almost all the staff of those types of MUD's are on another plane of existence.
Veteran MUD Administrator
8-Year Game Industry Professional (Semi-Retired)
10 AAA Launch Credits / 1 AAA Launch Pending

Check out the new MMORPG I'm working on.
Entropy - http://steamcommunity.com/app/255500

Davarna

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2018, 5:26 PM »
The problem with enforced rp, is that MUDs have to do their best to get players.  There is too many other options.  I think that to keep getting players, do not make it more difficult for people to come aboard.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2018, 1:26 PM »
Oh man, I missed the deadline to vote!  :(

The problem with enforced rp, is that MUDs have to do their best to get players.  There is too many other options.  I think that to keep getting players, do not make it more difficult for people to come aboard.
I agree and disagree.

I agree that ease of getting people to come aboard is important. I disagree on any problem with Enforced Roleplay. Here is why and this is very pertinent to our genre.

All Text Games need to have a hook or specific theme to draw a player to play. Whether the theme is Quests, Space, Adventure, Roleplay, Post Apoc, Gangster, Vampires, etc. This theme is what draws a player. Ateraan has a specific theme. Part of that is Enforced Roleplay. Players are on Ateraan for this specific theme and stay there because of it.

This is the same with games like Darkozx's Dragonball Evolution and Molly's game of 4Dimensions both of which I promote regularly because of their specific and different themes. If no one wanted to get into deep roleplay then of course my theme would have a negative impact. Right now it is a very positive theme which the players enjoy.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Tamaska

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 12:13 PM »
I missed the chance to vote but I certainly prefer rp enforced Muds.. the one I play is supposed to be but you always get the random people that do bonehead things I find annoying. The referencing to modern things, modern songs etc on public in game channels. We always seem to get those who mostly play for the player kill part of the game and ignore the RP aspect as much as they can. 20 years of mudding... I've just gotten used to ignoring them.

I play to immerse myself in another world other than the one I live in. I also.. could just me picky and a butt about rp  ;D

desharei

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2018, 10:28 AM »
I missed the chance to vote but I certainly prefer rp enforced Muds.. the one I play is supposed to be but you always get the random people that do bonehead things I find annoying. The referencing to modern things, modern songs etc on public in game channels. We always seem to get those who mostly play for the player kill part of the game and ignore the RP aspect as much as they can. 20 years of mudding... I've just gotten used to ignoring them.

I play to immerse myself in another world other than the one I live in. I also.. could just me picky and a butt about rp  ;D

There are plenty of games that don't have the kinds of problems you're talking about. Every game gets its share of twinks, sure. But the casual OOC references in the more dedicated RP games are few and far between.

Darkozx

• Owner of Dragonball Evolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2018, 11:22 AM »
Nah, all non-roleplay MUDs must be converted to RP or be shutdown! This thread has spoken, word of mudconnector is truth. I still get a nice laugh at this thread everyday I see it...the most vague question ever and probably more troll than I am. So who's with me? I need every MUD owner to change their listing to say RP enforced, let's do this!
Dragonball Evolution, the longest running DBZ MUD online!
Address: evolution.wolfpaw.net
Port: 1874

Epilogy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2018, 3:07 PM »
Nah, all non-roleplay MUDs must be converted to RP or be shutdown! This thread has spoken, word of mudconnector is truth. I still get a nice laugh at this thread everyday I see it...the most vague question ever and probably more troll than I am. So who's with me? I need every MUD owner to change their listing to say RP enforced, let's do this!

Zombie joke day is over, man 3:

This is why RP encouraged, and optional MUDs exist. It's not required, and it shouldn't be. If you want to talk with anonymous strangers in an RP setting, maybe go set up a random matching service explicitly for that, but don't shove people together, and then expect the complete severance of player, and character.

The game is what you make of it, the story what you write it. Maybe stop being cows who flock to commercial products, and write off every small mud you've never played because of a population you personally failed to provide. It's a catch 22 which I can't personally break the cycle of.

Mud of the Month on reddit is there to encourage people towards a new, unplayed MUD, but so far they seem to be pointing towards places which have very deep-seated problems that aren't apparent until you've worked your way in. The random selection on the front page of TMC is also there to encourage this, though its impact is questionable, and I've never personally paid it much attention (except when weird 'vore stuff starts popping up lol).

A broader approach than 1 single mud among hundreds, once a month seems to be an initial step for reddit. Something less batshit random/more targeted, and also having some kind of presence beyond ephemeral might be in order for TMC.

I remember the TMC social site... if that had been more geared towards service for the mud player, and less like myspace, I think it would have been something we'd still use. A "todo" list of muds, a list of muds played, and personal reviews written. Filtered lists with potential real-time statistics, inter-chat groups, etc... Probably could have become one hell of a paid service. Who knows.

tl;dr Grab some friends and go play something new. Explore the space, and work that cowbell, or no one's gonna know who you were.

Tijer

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2018, 12:36 PM »
All of my muds have been roleplay accepted, i have never enforced, or encouraged role play, as its kind of hard to do on a PK mud! :)
--Tijer
War of Legend    • Mud • Waroflegend.net port 4200   • Web • http://www.waroflegend.net
Aadarian Realms • Mud • Aadaria.net port 1111/1114  • Web • http://www.aadaria.com

Jodah

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 9:16 AM »

It boggles my mind there are this many responses.  It's like asking, should no fishing be enforced at a no-fishing pond?  Uh yes, it's in the description.

nullscan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 1:20 PM »

It boggles my mind there are this many responses.  It's like asking, should no fishing be enforced at a no-fishing pond?  Uh yes, it's in the description.

I think it's more like:  "If fishing is allowed, should people be forced to fish instead of just hang out or picnic at the pond?"

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2018, 1:25 AM »
I think we all accept and agree the premise of this thread was really to ask the question: Do you like RP Muds or Non-RP Muds?

And the answer was and is: Completely depends on if you like RP MUDs or Non-RP Muds.

Which makes the entire thread irrelevant.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com