The Mud Connector

Author Topic: A new planet in our old Starwars zone...  (Read 1456 times)

Molly

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
A new planet in our old Starwars zone...
« on: March 12, 2018, 6:49 AM »
In the old days we used to get new zones almost once per month, but nowadays the pace has slowed down considerably. It's been two years, since we last got a new zone, back then it was a 200 room extension to our Victorian England zone, built by Maco.

This one, The Planet Yakku, is also built by Maco, one of our most accomplished builders even in a long-time perspective. It can be played as an independent zone, with its own shuttle, economy and quests, but is also totally intergrated in the existing Starwars part of our universe.

I think most Head Builders can testify that new zones are not always easy to fit into in the existing world. Builders like to follow their own ideas, and since those are not always consistent with the general content of the world, we often end up with some delicate problems. Is it even possible to integrate their work with the existing world in a logical and smooth way? Even in 4D, where we have four different themes to choose from, I often end up with having to add at least a dozen new rooms of my own, just to smooth over the connection.

But with Maco, I never have these problems. He goes about his work in the right and professional way, catching the atmosphere and theme of an existing zone, and then developing, expanding and improving it, while still showing respect for the original. He did it with Victorian England, and now he has done it again with this planet.

The old 200 rooms Starwars zone was based on the original Starwars film from 1977 and has a real vintage feel. It is one of the oldest zones in 4D, but still popular among the players, with the planets Endor, Dagobah, Hoth and Tattooine and of course the Death Star. This new planet, Yakku, is inspired by the much later film "The force awakens", and meets our current building standards, which are much higher than in the old days.

If you are a Starwars fan, I recommend a visit to both our old and new interpretion of the Galactic saga.
Maco has announced that he has another extension in development, meaning that new planets and spaceships might soon be open to exploration. And what is more; he has managed to enroll one of or notorious Troublemakers, (who usually spends his time here looking for new bugs to exploit), into the building crew.

To me, as a very old Text Mud admin, it is really inspiring that we still have people who are prepared to put this amount of work into an aging world - and genre... :)
Molly O'Hara of 4 Dimensions
4Dimensions.org Port 6000

Molly

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: A new planet in our old Starwars zone...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 10:52 AM »
I think the bigger question is why haven't you built a zone in 2 years??

Simple.

Because the zone that I've been working on for the last two years or so, in our parallell development port, isn't just an ordinary zone, it's a 700 room continent, Asia Minor. It contains the Kingdowns of Mysia and Phrygia, the Land of Thrace, with invading nomad tribes from the east, the Euxine (Black Sea of today), the steppes of Scythia, the legendary and exotic city of Colchis, and the mysterious Land of the Amazons.

And of course the main focal point, which is the Battle of Troy and Mount Ida, where you can choose sides in the conflict by performing the same task as Prince Paris did; to choose which of the three Goddesses, Hera, Athena and Aphrodite, you deem to be the fairest.

All of this is based on ancient Greek myths, like the deeds of Heracles, the Golden Fleece, the journey of the Argonauts, and of course the Iliad. So each of these parts is an independant zone, with its own ecology, economy, population, trade system and quests, (Colchis even has its own religion). But they also all hang together and interact, since the different cities support either the Achaeans or the Trojans.

This zone has been on my planning list for a long time - I believe I made the map for it at least 10 years ago. By now I have finished around 500 rooms, with belonging mobs, objects and resets, and am working on the last, but key zone, which is the City of Troy, and the main quest.  It is all extremely complex, with losts of scripts and quests, which all hang together in some way or another.

And, well... Bulding is very time consuming, at least if you want to put some detail and depth into the zones.
It will probably take me several more months to finish it.
Maybe Maco will even beat me to it...

Jodah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 5:28 PM »
I'm not sure why my post was deleted.  It was like asking a master artist why haven't you made a new painting when you have that much talent??  I understand burnout though.  I have read Molly's posts for a while, he/she is a building master.  I'm sure her/his mud gets very excited when she puts a zone out.  This new zone sounds fantastic.  I think I'm most impressed with how you plan on tackling the trade and economy system between mobs or if it's entire player driven.  Congrats on the Star Wars system, it sounds great as well.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 5:38 PM by Jodah »

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 12:32 AM »
Hmm, I would agree. Why delete his post? I also agree the new area sounds like a great addition. And I do believe Molly is a miss Jodah, but we are on the internet and I could be an alien for all you know.  :P
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Molly

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 11:31 AM »
Guess I haven't got much choice but to close this thread now, since my Mud has already got more exposure than is allowed in our rules. :)

Still, I'd like to try and explain what happened around Joda's earlier post, but I'll do this in a more appropriate thread, Moderator Actions. http://www.mudconnect.com/SMF/index.php?topic=81248.new#new