The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Armageddon MUD votes legitamate or illegal?  (Read 1782 times)

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Armageddon MUD votes legitamate or illegal?
« on: March 08, 2018, 9:09 PM »
Hi, altho I havent used the forums before I used this site's top 20 list to pick out new muds to try. I jump from place to place every couple months.

As someone who have played Arm on and off I know what its like already. I also see it at the top all the time. In January and February they had 800 votes or something like that. It took them 60 days to get that amount. But the votes reset and by March 9 (in my local time) they already have 928 votes?? Something doesnt seem right there.

This page says don't cheat and don't do more than one vote per person. Which makes sense. Did Arm's players go from 15 votes a day to over 100 a day without doing any more than the daily vote reminders they usually do?? Or is something unusual/illegal going on?

Not sure this is the right place to post this. Also I am German and use muds to learn english, sorry if my english isnt perfect.

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Armageddon MUD votes legitamate or illegal?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 8:16 AM »
It certainly looks really weird, and it also isn't the only weird thing that's occurred during the last days.

Directly after the list reset, we started to get an inordinate number of new accounts, over a hundred a day. The flush lasted for a few days, and then subsided.

We were expecting a similar boost of spam ad posts, but that hasn't occurred - at least not yet.

Now, I am not saying that the two things are connected, but wouldn't it be an even stranger coincidence if they weren't? If each of those new accounts actually voted for Armageddon, the total number could easily reach 900 in a few days. And there would be a logical reason for why they were created.

Now I am also not saying that this was done by anyone trying to unfairly promote Armageddon. It could just as well have been someone trying to miscredit them.

In any case, this would be something that Icculus would have to look into himself. It should be possible to at least establish if the new accounts are connected to the votes.
Molly O'Hara of 4 Dimensions Port 6000