The Mud Connector

Author Topic: MUDs for Posterity  (Read 2936 times)

Epilogy

• View Profile
MUDs for Posterity
« on: March 06, 2018, 2:08 PM »
Someone recently mentioned that if you find a stock MUD, there's a good chance it's going to be offline in the near future. Can't disagree with that, but...

It might be a good idea for someone to set up, and run stock code bases that will never be touched, and maybe also publicly released derivatives.

The reasoning behind this is that if there are no reliable, convenient sources of the stock code, how is any new blood ever going to even know what stock is? I think it's a bit disrespectful to the people who built the original areas to think of their work with distaste simply because it was packaged with the code. If anything, I'd suggest that having an area packaged with code that's inspired a really, really whole large lot of people is probably an awesome thing. Some games admired the original areas that they simply redescribed the areas to their theme, though that might have also just been a lack of initiative on the owner's part. Being primarily a builder, I once set out to redescribe ROM into a scifi theme.

You know Miden'nir? You might loathe it, or maybe have forgotten it, but I bet many of you've passed through it at some point.

Anyways. I just thought it'd be cool if someone were to try... I understand there's a lot of modified source code out there from previous games, but running those that can compile with little/no work would be a good service for the community, I think. Contributions of compiler-ready code could maybe be crowd-sourced.

I've seen a lot of people walk away over the years, too. A lot of people took a hard stance against MUDs when they left, and never released their work. Maybe a few have softened up a bit, and would be willing to leave their game behind as a legacy before a random storm eats the last remaining copy with a nice, wafting ozone smell as a bonus. (One of my PSUs exploded yesterday. Falling backwards out of a chair seems very difficult until it actually happens.)

Just an idea.

Darkozx

• Owner of Dragonball Evolution
    • View Profile
Re: MUDs for Posterity
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 2:31 PM »
If I remember correctly some Zeno guy hosts a bunch of old anime MUDs on his server. He used to post here but who knows if he even lurks anymore. I know this isn't 100% what you mean but it has the same general idea.
Dragonball Evolution, the longest running DBZ MUD online!
Address: evolution.wolfpaw.net
Port: 1874

Hades_Kane

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 2:55 PM »
I have in the past (it may still be there) brought up a stock ROM for one purpose or another.

Ok... just looked, it is still there and I last had it loaded July of 2014... I will need to bring that up whenever I make my derivative of Midgaard... perhaps I could/should just leave it up and connectable, and list it?

Problem is, can't use "Rivers of MUD" or any variation of a name with "ROM" in the title, otherwise I might would name/list it was "ROM Classic" or something.  Maybe figuring out some sort of name whose acronym spells "ROM" that is really, really close to "Rivers of MUD" would be close enough to get the point across it's just a stock, unmodified ROM?
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

Epilogy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 6:02 PM »
I have in the past (it may still be there) brought up a stock ROM for one purpose or another.

Ok... just looked, it is still there and I last had it loaded July of 2014... I will need to bring that up whenever I make my derivative of Midgaard... perhaps I could/should just leave it up and connectable, and list it?

Problem is, can't use "Rivers of MUD" or any variation of a name with "ROM" in the title, otherwise I might would name/list it was "ROM Classic" or something.  Maybe figuring out some sort of name whose acronym spells "ROM" that is really, really close to "Rivers of MUD" would be close enough to get the point across it's just a stock, unmodified ROM?

If you had a single domain, and multiple ports for each game it would be a lot easier. You could just note which port is which game, and use whatever generic umbrella name you want.

I wonder if a client could be directed towards a specific port through a connecting menu? Then you could just pick a number...

Krono_

• New to TMC
  • Coder at Dragonball Evolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 10:34 PM »

If you had a single domain, and multiple ports for each game it would be a lot easier. You could just note which port is which game, and use whatever generic umbrella name you want.

I wonder if a client could be directed towards a specific port through a connecting menu? Then you could just pick a number...

I'm almost certain that in the past I've seen MUDs that allow you to basically input a command and switch to a different 'sister' MUD, though I have no idea how it would have been accomplished. It might have been a specific feature of the codebase in which I saw it. Might be possible with SQL stuff?