The Mud Connector

Author Topic: New to MUDs - where to start and beginner tips?  (Read 8030 times)

Tavilyn

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Re: New to MUDs - where to start and beginner tips?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 2:16 PM »
My reason for saying AA is better than 4d is a fairly simple one. 4d has less complex combat and has much, much harder quests. Either one of those things might be an issue, but both of those things together combine and make things a whole lot more challenging.
This doesn't make 4d a bad game, not by any stretch. It certainly isn't. It's just maybe not as newbie-friendly as AA is, for someone who is generally new to MUDs and who wants to be able to progress.

Molly

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 3:27 PM »
Heh - I have to come in and defend my game here. :)
Sure, we do have some really hard quests. But we also have a lot more of really easy ones, and a whole bunch of medium hard in between.
And what is more, we actually tell the players which quests are hard and which are easy - the info about it is available both on line in the Questor's Office, and on our website, under Questcards.

And the thing is, you don't have to do a single quest, if you don't want to; there are so many other ways in which you can spend your time, and advance your char, apart from the common mass killing of mobs. If you don't like quests and puzzles, just do some grave robbing, or collecting and trading instead, or maybe try crafting, which also gives exp and Tradepoints, and can produce amazingly usable items, if you are good at it.

I'd say the main advantage of 4D would the many choices we offer. We are a very old mud, and there are so many things to explore in our four worlds, that a large number of players reach top levels without having seen even half of it...
Molly O'Hara of 4 Dimensions
4Dimensions.org Port 6000

Gisco

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 4:24 PM »
Output for "quest nearby" in Alter Aeon, the city of Ralnoth:
There are the following unfinished quests nearby:

Num  Level  Name
------------------------------------------------------------
  1     27  Fed the kitten.
  2     28  Answered a call for aid from Dragnok.
  3     29  Wiped out a human supremacist cult for the Ralnoth Clerics' Guild.
  4     29  Exterminated Red Rover and evicted the moblins from the Clan Unforgiven area
  5     30  Expedited a pistol replica for the Ralnoth Museum of World Wonders
  6     35  Retrieved an ancient seeing stone for the Ralnoth Mage's Guild.

For details on a quest, use 'quest nearby'. For example, 'quest nearby 1'.

Output for "quest nearby 2", same location:
Quest Name:  Answered a call for aid from Dragnok.

Area Level:  29

Approximate difficulty (scale from 1 to 10):   4

General Quest Info:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
In recent years a lot of corruption has been running rampant through
Dragnok. An aged scholar has arrived in Ralnoth seeking assistance,
seek him out for more information.

Alter Aeon indicates roughly how hard a quest is, and the average level a player is when they have completed it. That's if you even want to do quests. You can indulge in fishing, gathering various resources, crafting, enchantments, randomly generated jobs, opt-in pk arenas or plain old-fashioned, hack'n'slash, kick-down-the-door, murder everything you see action.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 1:44 PM »
My reason for saying AA is better than 4d is a fairly simple one. 4d has less complex combat and has much, much harder quests. Either one of those things might be an issue, but both of those things together combine and make things a whole lot more challenging.
Pfft. I've played them both. 4d is far and away better than Alter Aeon in terms of quests, both simple and complex.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Tavilyn

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 3:10 AM »
Better, though, is a relative term. 4d has more involved quests, some of which have some pretty crazy syntax, while AA's quests are much more accessible for a newbie.

I am not discussing which is the better game overall. I am, at the very outside, stressing that AA may be more newbie-friendly by default.

And yes, Molly, 4d has quest cards saying which quests are easy and which aren't, but having played 4d here and there and having done a few of the quests, I can say that difficulty indicator is a little bit slippery. Many 4d quests don't have good clues for starting out, and unfortunately the community, as of the middle of last year, is really big on keeping secrets for the most part. AA does not do this. You aren't going to have your hand held every step of the way, but I have found, in my own personal experience at least, that there is definitely a distinct difference in how both games treat the newbie who gets stuck.

This is also why I cited combat. 4d's combat isn't bad. AA's combat is, to me at least, just all-around better balanced. There is a good deal more customization that appears to have gone into AA, while 4d has a great deal of the feel of what I'm pretty sure is old Diku. For instance, the way you have to spam the Kick skill virtually forever when you start out as a melee class.

Again, let me stress. 4d is not at all a bad game. I'm not bashing on it or hating on it. I'm not an AA fanboy who can't hear a word against that MUD either. I'm talking purely from the perspective of a player new to MUDs. AA is a bit more forgiving and offers a heck of a lot of different options. 4d has a ton to offer, but the learning curve is arguably steeper, the player base is both smaller and in some ways less inviting, and the sheer scope of the game can be daunting in its own right.

That said, I should give 4d another spin sometime.

ZeKing

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2018, 6:52 PM »
When I first started Mud'ing I tested out MUME (Multi Users in Middle Earth). It was really newbie friendly, and the tutorials and help guides were decent. The best tip though is to ask the community in the Mud you wish to test out :)

Graycor

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2018, 10:45 PM »
Make a cheat sheet for commands you use a lot until you have them memorized :)

Naralon

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 9:24 AM »
Just go to mume.org and your set. It's without a doubt the best mud alive.

Leudoberct

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 10:28 AM »
Considering I'm new to MUDs as a whole, what would you guys say the community of MUDs is like? Does everyone get along? Will I be shanked for wearing a blue shirt in the wrong part of town?

desharei

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2018, 11:00 AM »
The shanking is real. Seriously though, there are communities, and sub-communities, and subs within those. The TMC forum is only one of a few different main communities of MUD players. Used to be pretty heavy and hard-core on game-related politics (politics ABOUT games, not politics within games), now it's just dribs and drabs of various subjects.

Bronn

• Home MU*: Arx
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2018, 11:55 AM »
Considering I'm new to MUDs as a whole, what would you guys say the community of MUDs is like? Does everyone get along? Will I be shanked for wearing a blue shirt in the wrong part of town?

Overall, the MUD community is generally pretty friendly. The big ones that I can think of off the top of my head are TMC (this website), reddit.com/r/MUD (the MUD subreddit), and musoapbox.net (that tends to lean more towards more roleplay-oriented MU*s, particularly MUSHes). There are a few bad apples but that's with every community.

Each sub-community for each individual game is going to be wildly different, depending on the attitudes of players and staff for each game.

Epilogy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2018, 1:12 PM »
Feeding kittens, and slaying red rover?

Gisco

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2018, 1:33 PM »
The '"Fed the kitten" quest is the spiritual successor to an earlier "Ate the kitten" quest...

Ezmodius

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2018, 5:30 PM »
Just go to mume.org and your set. It's without a doubt the best mud alive.

+1, mume is the best PK mud I've ever played.

Arkose1122

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2018, 4:52 PM »
The first MUD I played was FieryMUD. I played it until I got a character to ** which is basically level 101. After that I quickly got bored, found Icesus, and the rest of those 12 years of gaming is history.