The Mud Connector

Author Topic: ElendorMUSH -- Anyone know what happened to it?  (Read 3889 times)

MudBog

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
ElendorMUSH -- Anyone know what happened to it?
« on: April 09, 2018, 6:45 AM »
Elendor used to be one of the larger MUSHes around.  Everything dies, but I have a hard time believing it died without anyone mentioning anything anywhere on the web (as far as Google can find anyway).  When the Tolkien movies came out it was hitting ~500 users online at a time.

The website hasn't been edited since 2011.  I found a few mentions of new servers in 2014, but nothing after that.

The telnet address still works, but no one is on and the mudlisting says average of 1 per day for months now.  I tried "mush.elendor.net:1892" and "mush.elendor.net:1893" with the same results.

MUSHclient will connect, but Mudlet will get only to the intro screen and then not allow any commands to work, which seems odd.

Does anyone know if the playerbase moved elsewhere if there was a problem?

Jodah

• View Profile
Re: ElendorMUSH -- Anyone know what happened to it?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 9:13 AM »
I believe people just left it.  Once coders stop or builders stop, the mud is stagnant and players will bail.  One of those slow deaths, people don't usually write about those since there is no drama involved.

nullscan

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 1:18 PM »
I know Elendor was still there but barely had anyone around ever by 2007 or so.

They had bizarre ideas.  Chargen was a bunch of questionnaire forms with no stats.  They called themselves "freeform" but then certain people were allowed to powergame based on how long they'd been there.

It seemed to me to be one of those things some parents made for their kids, or maybe just plain made by kids, with no real concept of what MUSH RP or code is.  I don't really remember any RP scenes or particular players from there.  Just blah.  So maybe that's what happened.

Arkose1122

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 4:50 PM »
It's always sad when a MUD dies. I would have been interested in this MUD.

Flint Stovetop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 1:22 AM »
This happened to me for one mud.  I wanted to get back into it since I was making my own single player version game and I had remembered the owner had been quite nice and helpful, but their game was completely down.  No matter how often and when I tried it was down.

I started researching and came into position of another mud of theirs.  I started asking awkward questions and befriended one person, but not who I had been looking for nor had they seen them.

Little footprints and trails of bread crumbs would lead me from one forum to another, to separate blog posts, Facebook, old webpages, etc.  I finally found one of the other owners, but he was not even sure of the main one.  Then I struck gold!

Of course after stalking her crazily for months trying to find her she put a restraining order on me, but at least I found her...  Good times...

Long story short, if the game means that much to you, just keep trying.  Nothing can hold you back, not even a court order...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 1:24 AM by Flint Stovetop »

bjs2106

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 3:48 PM »
It slowly faded over the years, especially after the older players started to leave. The +cultures system worked OK when the playerbase was bigger, but with no new people coming in, eventually you ended up separated from everyone else in different parts of M-E, and you can only RP with yourself so long before giving up and moving on. Well, I guess a lot of stuff happened over time, but that's the gist of it IMO. When the new Hobbit movies didn't pull in new players like the LotR trilogy did, I knew it was a lost cause--but I kept some great memories from the 90's/00's, and miss you guys. (EBS forever)