The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Help File Information  (Read 6867 times)

Krono_

• New to TMC
  • Coder at Dragonball Evolution
    • View Profile
Re: Help File Information
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 6:10 AM »
I don't think that's a very good idea at all. If you can't read information about specific skills, etc, then you don't know what you want to 'build' for, as it were. For example: in DBE, you earn learn points (just like practice points in a smaug mud, for example) that you can expend towards abilities. If you couldn't read the helpfiles for those abilities before you learn them and get an idea of what the abilities do, then you wouldn't know which one is worth getting. At low levels when your leveling speed is only as fast as your strongest attack can kill, accidentally picking up an ability that, say in the case of 'elbow' on DBE, doesn't do much damage but is more for taking advantage of a combo system and increasing your upper body strength could be devastating. If you're not properly set up to use that skill it's not going to do very good damage, and then you have to struggle through earning all those learning points back, on now incrementally harder mobs because you've leveled up, without a useful ability to use.

I mean, I might be a bit biased because it's what we do, but I think giving the player as much information as possible is very important. If someone can do the calculations themselves then they can figure out which ability is the most optimal choice for them, which means a much smoother and less frustrating experience.

Zandy

• Community Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 10:02 AM »
That policy has since been changed.  But it took them 15 years or so to do it.

amir.dratgard

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
    • Development Blog
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 3:22 PM »
I don't think that's a very good idea at all. If you can't read information about specific skills, etc, then you don't know what you want to 'build' for, as it were. For example: in DBE, you earn learn points (just like practice points in a smaug mud, for example) that you can expend towards abilities. If you couldn't read the helpfiles for those abilities before you learn them and get an idea of what the abilities do, then you wouldn't know which one is worth getting. At low levels when your leveling speed is only as fast as your strongest attack can kill, accidentally picking up an ability that, say in the case of 'elbow' on DBE, doesn't do much damage but is more for taking advantage of a combo system and increasing your upper body strength could be devastating. If you're not properly set up to use that skill it's not going to do very good damage, and then you have to struggle through earning all those learning points back, on now incrementally harder mobs because you've leveled up, without a useful ability to use.

I mean, I might be a bit biased because it's what we do, but I think giving the player as much information as possible is very important. If someone can do the calculations themselves then they can figure out which ability is the most optimal choice for them, which means a much smoother and less frustrating experience.

That sounds like a design issue. Providing "nothing" sounds like a very bland help file.  I think the real issue here is the minimal vs all information.  Is there never anything in between?

I think it's interesting the responses....  many want as much info as possible.... at the same time they complain about elitist builders who go strictly by equation and never by feeling or gut.

It sounds very lose-lose, unless you embrace the positives about whatever it is you decide to build.