The Mud Connector

Author Topic: d20MUD Seeking Builders, Quest Makers and Script Writers  (Read 5292 times)

Gicker

• View Profile
    • d20MUD: Star Wars
HI all,

Gicker here, from d20MUD: Star Wars.

Just wanted to reach out and see if there's anyone in the community looking for a new place to offer their skills to.  Specifically, we are looking for area builders, quest writers and script writers.

First I'll plug a link to our MUD's entry on MUDListings.com so those unfamilar with out game can see what we're all about.

Builders: We're a role play incentivised game, meaning we only enforce role play channels, so any ooc speech should take place on ooc channels.  We offer in game rewards for role play, offering big incentives for those who do role play.  By far the majority of our players are role players, though they are not always in character.  Our era is Post Battle of Yavin, between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back.  As an area builder you'd create new zones on pretty well any planet in the Star Wars universe.  Generally speaking we do not use roads or sprawling wilderness areas.  Areas are accessed via space travel and taxis.  We desire a high quality of writing, and prefer builders with prior experiece who are able to figure out most things on their own, though we'll certainly help however we can.  Since the codebase is based on CircleMUD 3.1, prospective builders are able to learn and get assistance from The Builder's Academy (tbamud.com) for near 100% skills transferable between our two games.

Quest Writers:  We use a web based quest editor that makes quest creation easy and balanced.  Once you get the hang of it (and it doesn't take long) you can create most quests in 5-15 minutes.  I've attached a screenshot of our quest editor.  Going forward we'd like to make our quest lines as story based as possible.  In fact, we intend to create complete storyline quests from level 1-40 for each of our 4 factions (empire, rebels, hutt syndicate and freelancers), so if that's something you're interested we can certainly use the help there.

Click here to view the quest editor screenshot

Script Writers: Again, transferable skills from tbaMUD.  We use the DG Scripts system.  It allows you to attach scripts to rooms, mobiles and objects.  It's a very powerful system.  At this stage we're looking to liven up our existing zones, but anything creative and cool that fits, we're interested in.  As a script writer we prefer experience with some kind of programming language or scripting system already.  There's online documentation, as well as tbaMUD, but it's not something we have the time to teach ourselves.  Answer questions, sure!  But not enough time to teach sadly.

Anyone interested please contact me at gickerlds@gmail.com or catch me in game at mud.d20mud.com port 5500 or http://play.d20mud.com/

Cheers!

Gicker
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 6:09 PM by Gicker »
d20MUD Star Wars: Role Play, PvE & PvP using d20 and SAGA rules
www.d20mud.com d20mud.com port 6000

4th Age Dragonlance Role Play & Adventure
ageofdragons.com port 4000

Gicker

• View Profile
Re: d20MUD Seeking Builders, Quest Makers and Script Writers
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 2:18 PM »
Just bumping this.  Still looking for staff :) Things have been in a bit of a lull, but slowly ramping up again.

Gicker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 3:03 PM »
We're also looking for help file writers.  We just moved over to a web based help file management system, which has made things easier to manage and edit.

Shoot me an email or catch me in game if your're interested. gickerlds@gmail.com.  (I don't check me PMs here often, FYI)

Cheers,

Gicker

Epilogy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 3:33 PM »
Ever get those starting zone quests fixed, and helpfile format conforming to the mud standard?

Gicker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 4:11 PM »
I guess it depends on when you last played.  The starting zone quests work as far as I know.  The questline isn't complete though.

As for help files, it's still a work in progress.  The new help file system auto formats the help file output so that it's not a huge line stretching across a large screen.  Help file authors have the option to keep preformatting or let the mud format it.  The latter is the default.  But I assume, by MUD standard, you mean for them to be wrapped at 80 chars or less?  No, the code goes a little longer than that, though not by much.

Gicker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 4:22 PM »
Actually, I just modified the help output to autoformat against a character's screenwidth setting, which they can set to what they want.  Thanks for bringing that up, I think it's something some people will be happy about.

Epilogy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 7:49 PM »
Thanks, that bugged me a lot.

I've tried SW D20 at various times, just hard to get into a MUD these days. The last time, the initial quest revolved around a random drop item. By the time I had found the item, I was level 6, and outpaced the mobs in the immediate area.

I mentioned it, but I think maybe there was some stubbornness on both ends. I'd just recommend your senior builders comb over it, and try to remove the possibility of luck being fickle within the opening new player experience.

I don't really expect anything super professional, I know well enough that volunteer work is what it is. Was just one of those things I recall most about my short experience this time around. There's a variety of ways to keep that RNG feel without being frustrating for no reason in particular.

Gicker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 8:03 PM »
I hear you.  Yeah the quests might need some fiddling to remain level-appropriate.  Especially if your lowbie is playing during a PvE hour, when experience gains are doubled... you can really get ahead of the quest line.  It does catch up a bit though.  I believe the freelancer quest line (which any faction can do) will take you up to around level 10.  I also added a gear kit at level 10, which will give you a piece of armor and a weapon of your choice, with the armor having level appropriate defense bonuses , and weapon having level appropriate +hit/+dam.

Zividave

• View Profile
    • AnsalonMUD
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 1:13 AM »
PS. Gicker is freaking awesome, not even kidding and I'm not on his staff or play his game :P

Seriously though, if anyone is looking for a new home I'd look here :)

- Dave.

Gicker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 10:37 AM »
Thanks Dave for the kind words :)