The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Filtered Recent Topics on TMC Homepage  (Read 923 times)

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Filtered Recent Topics on TMC Homepage
« on: February 23, 2018, 5:34 PM »
Prominently displayed on the TMC homepage is a list of Recent Topics from the forums.  Would it be possible and/or proper to only display posts in this list from select boards/categories, and possibly add some static links to the important excluded categories?  This question is being asked from a TMC-marketing standpoint in an effort to maintain a positive image for first-time guests.

As a community, we should be striving to greet visitors to the site with as much of a "warm welcome" as we can muster.  Our collective goal (at least, I hope it's a shared goal) is to see the community grow as new people discover (or re-discover) the joy of MUDs.  The community grows through the fun we have playing the games we love, and the dicussions we have about these games and how to make them "better".

While recent events are hopefully not the norm, a lot of the recent discussions have not fowarded this agenda of welcoming guests.  Even now, of the twelve most recent topics displayed, three deal with moderation and one has "harrassment" in the title.  As a new visitor to the site, having these titles be the first things I see would not give me a warm fuzzy feeling about being a part of this community.

I would argue that the TMC homepage should present the very best of TMC, as it is the first experience many people may have to our community, or even MUDs as a whole.  Therefore, it becomes important to not only serve the needs of the members, but to appeal to the visitors as well.

The filter revisions I propose would limit the threads listed in the Recent Topics on the TMC homepage to those in the categories "MUD Development and Administration" and "General Category".  Threads posted in "TMC Community Policy", "Mud Staffing and Promotions", "Bugs, Features and Policies", and "Moderation" would not be listed under the "Recent Topics" on the homepage.

Additionally, I propose new static links be added above the "Recent Topics" list to point specifically to the three boards in the "Mud Staffing and Promotions" section.  These three links would provide single-click access to the "Mud Staffing", "Mud Hosting and Services", and (most importantly) "Mud Promotions" boards for visitors interested in those areas. 

The end-goal I envision is that the revised Recent Topics section of the homepage (after applying these filters) would put more focus on MUD devlopment and growth and general community discussion, and put less focus on administrative discussions, and the relative spam generated by MUD promotions (which are already served via the entire left sidebar containing New and Updated MUD Listings). 

As members of this community, many of us should be relatively comfortable navigating around the site.  Clicking on the TMC Forums link on the page (or using a shortcut directly to the forums) will take us to the forum homepage, which contains a complete, unfiltered list of topics to read.  The "Recent Posts" section in the Info Center (at the bottom of the forum homepage) also contains an unfiltered list of recent items.  Members who are logged also have links in the upper-right corner to view unread posts since the last visit.  All of these lists will ensure that regular visitors to the site have the ability to catch up on the latest discussion topics across all topics.

I welcome input and discussion on this idea as we work together to make TMC a place for both MUD newbies and MUD veterans to be welcomed and well-informed.

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
Re: Filtered Recent Topics on TMC Homepage
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 5:40 PM »
Someone more familiar with the SMF forum software may be able to answer this, but I'm not sure if that's a moderator editable setting, or something that would have to be custom filtered by Icculus.

I know that the moderator actions and other moderator specific stuff is filtered from the front page, so filtering IS present, I'm just not sure how/where that happens.

I'd also like locked topics to automatically not show on the front page regardless of what section they are in.
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more! : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.com

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 6:04 PM »
I'd also like locked topics to automatically not show on the front page regardless of what section they are in.

• View Profile
    • tbaMUD
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 7:19 PM »
I'd imagine that's all Icculus territory.

The frontpage isn't part of SMF at all, so surely no way to determine what it shows from within SMF itself. That seems far more likely to be a database query.