The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Balance  (Read 5472 times)

Krono_

• New to TMC
  • Coder at Dragonball Evolution
    • View Profile
Re: Balance
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 10:41 PM »
I think the idea of complete 1:1 balance is definitely a myth. You are always going to have classes that are better at one specific thing than others, that's just how it goes. In my opinion, once you've got your classes as close to balanced as they are going to get, the REAL trick is introducing content that is balanced. If you introduce content that all but one class will struggle with just by design, that's a pretty big imbalance oversight. The main concern is trying to figure out your balance based on the average player, not the top end player, because realistically most of your playerbase is likely to fall into the 'average' category. Sure, one class might have something that can set it above the others at top end play, but if nerfing that to normalcy for the top end makes it irrelevant for the average players, you're going to be hurting your bottom line a lot more by gimping, say, 20 players than you are by leaving 2 players unnerfed.

On DBE, I think we've done a really good job of making sure that each "class" (technically, they are races, but on DBE they play the role of classes in a standard game, and races have access to branching subclasses) has its own very unique playstyle, but is also fully capable of doing anything available in the game. Each race has a different focus on weapon types, they are split into attack, defense and support races... But a support race is still more than capable in combat on its own. Perhaps not as strong as a pure attack class, but that's the price you have to pay for class fantasy I think. There will always be min-max players who have something to complain about, I think, if one class isn't perfectly balanced with another, but these are also the players who will refuse to do any content except the highest tier available to them, and only if it gives the highest tier rewards. You can't count on balancing around your high end or you're going to chase off your more "casual" players.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
Re: Balance
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2018, 1:46 PM »
I think the idea of complete 1:1 balance is definitely a myth. You are always going to have classes that are better at one specific thing than others, that's just how it goes. In my opinion, once you've got your classes as close to balanced as they are going to get, the REAL trick is introducing content that is balanced.
I agree with this part, however, I believe in the balance of synergism as discussed in previous comments, not in balance of powers or guilds or classes or areas.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com