The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Specialized forum for non-constructive discussions  (Read 4293 times)

Thraxian

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Specialized forum for non-constructive discussions
« on: February 27, 2018, 3:07 AM »
Here's another thought.  Could be worth exploring.  Could be absolute garbage.  But here it is anyways:

There are some users that just want to argue and/or complain.  Maybe they've had a bad day.  Maybe somebody offended them.  Who knows? 

One of the problems that moderators seem to be trying to work out is how to keep the forums from degenerating into a battle royale of hate.  So, rather than attempting to eliminate all the non-constructive discussion, what if we provide an arena to allow users to "duke it out"?

Consider adding a new forum specifically for this type of posting.  Call it the "Argument Clinic", "Garbage Heap", "CPK Arena", or whatever.  When a discussion thread goes off the rails or begins to spiral into an argument, split the thread and let the users finish their fight here, allowing those that wish to constructively participate in the original discussion to continue without the pyrotechnics.

A quick review of the memberlist shows that:
- about 380 members have 5+ posts
- about 200 members have 10+ posts
- about 90 members have 25+ posts
- about 50 members have 50+ posts

Based on these numbers, I would also propose, to protect the eyes of the newest members from the fireballs of death, the new forum would only be available once the user obtains .... 10 posts?  I believe users can be auto-assigned to Membergroups based on their post count, so this would require practically no administration aside from setting it up.  As most of these arguments are coming from semi-regular posters on the site, I think everyone with these pugilistic tendencies would be able to see and participate in that forum.  And those that have no interest in this type of conversation could just steer clear of that forum.

Like I said, this could be perceived both as a good thing, and a very bad thing.  If moderators aren't too keen on this idea, or are uncomfortable with having any semblance of promoting/encouraging these purely negative conversations by creating such a forum, feel free to pitch in a "no thanks" and lock this thread - I'm totally OK with that.  However, we do have a similar precedent with the promotions forum as the reserved (and only acceptable) space for advertising; what I suggest is that this new forum would be the reserved (and only acceptable) space for non-constructive arguments and (s)word-fighting.  The rest of the forums could then adopt a more zero-tolerance policy (if desired) for purely argumentative, non-constructive, responses to an otherwise profitable discussion. 

Jodah

• View Profile
Re: Specialized forum for non-constructive discussions
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 4:18 AM »
Great idea.  I dig it.  We need a hands off moderator forum.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 4:24 AM »
Not bad, but people don't want to go to a special place to argue that's why they flame on the main threads.

If they did, they would go to PMland. Not to name names, but there are four members here that thoroughly enjoy the the public venue for delivering negativity. It is like a drug to them to pat themselves on the back and say, "look what I did because I'm so noble." One of them even used a similar phrase if you can believe that.

And guess what. I never received a single PM from these fellas. Things that make you go "Hmmm."
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Tijer

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 1:01 PM »
Not needed, people like for their negativity to show on the front page.... best to have none...

--Tijer
War of Legend    • Mud • Waroflegend.net port 4200   • Web • http://www.waroflegend.net
Aadarian Realms • Mud • Aadaria.net port 1111/1114  • Web • http://www.aadaria.com

Hades_Kane

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 1:09 PM »
Mudbytes did this... called it the "controversial topics" forum.

I never stepped into it, so I really don't know how it ended up working out and whether the members and/or the mods (of which I was one when that was a thing there) found it to be a successful thing or not.

That said, with the way that spillover happens so frequently here between a handful of posters, I think that even if they were able to duke it out in a segregated section of the forum, they would remain heated enough elsewhere where it wouldn't be left in one spot, it would just cause bleed over and additional drama throughout.

I agree with Jodah that it is important for people to have a place to discuss things where the moderators can't reach them, but I also feel that such a place may be better off-site for the reasons previously mentioned.

Mudbytes no longer has moderators, and to the best of my knowledge none of the 4 TMC moderators has any association or pull on the MUD subreddit, Mudportal, or Top Mud Sites, so options exist to have discussion in places where us 4 can't do anything about it.

But I also agree with some of the other posters who have expressed the sentiment (maybe not so much in these words) that ego plays into a lot of the drama we have, and that if there isn't the chance to stroke ego in as visible of a manner as possible, it probably wouldn't be used anyhow.
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

Drizzt1216

• View Profile
    • tbaMUD
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 10:59 AM »
Not bad, but people don't want to go to a special place to argue that's why they flame on the main threads.

If they did, they would go to PMland. Not to name names, but there are four members here that thoroughly enjoy the the public venue for delivering negativity.

You mean like you're doing right now with your passive aggressive posting?

Or do you not consider yourself to be part of the problem and just an innocent victim?

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 1:39 PM »

If they did, they would go to PMland. Not to name names, but there are four members here that thoroughly enjoy the the public venue for delivering negativity.

You mean like you're doing right now with your passive aggressive posting?

Or do you not consider yourself to be part of the problem and just an innocent victim?
I didn't name names did I? But it appears I didn't have to.  8)
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Krono_

• New to TMC
  • Coder at Dragonball Evolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 10:49 PM »
I don't think dedicated 'flame' forums are a good idea at all. They still have to be moderated: you may allow people to argue with each other in them, but you don't want things like racial slurs and other bad stuff littering your forum. Which means you have to decide what gets moderated and what doesn't. The idea sounds good on paper: let people vent freely and the rest of the forum will be clean, but I don't think I've ever seen it work like that in practice. People will still flame each other in the normal forum, AND they'll do it in the flaming forum.

Drizzt1216

• View Profile
    • tbaMUD
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 4:04 AM »
I didn't name names did I? But it appears I didn't have to.  8)

Whether you name names or not is completely irrelevant.

You don't take the high road by trying to subtly insult people via passive aggression.

You play the victim card like Jodah does, but you both dish as much as you get wile trying to feign innocence. You're not remotely eloquent enough to be as sneaky about as you seem to think you are.

Zandy

• Community Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 10:54 AM »
I think we need to nudge this back to the original topic please.  If there's nothing further to be added to the discussion we can either let this thread die or I can lock it.

Jodah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 4:00 PM »

You play the victim card like Jodah does, but you both dish as much as you get wile trying to feign innocence. You're not remotely eloquent enough to be as sneaky about as you seem to think you are.

Forget passive aggressive, you are the most aggressive poster on TMC I have ever seen.  You routinely steer posts off topic just to flame and attack.  Take my post for example, I would have never posted had you not attacked me.

Molly

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 6:50 PM »
Zandy already posted a warning about sticking on topic, and enough is enough.
This thread is now locked.
Molly O'Hara of 4 Dimensions
4Dimensions.org Port 6000