The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Starting with MUSHes, am I being too specific?  (Read 1687 times)

musicmyxtress

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Starting with MUSHes, am I being too specific?
« on: February 20, 2018, 8:51 PM »
Hi everyone,

I love the concept of a MUSH, and want to play some, but I'm finding that I am looking for one with pretty specific requirements. Can anyone tell me if there is a such mush with the below stipulations, or am I being nit-picky... (Just say it if I am!) Lol.

1. I really don't want to have to make a word press bio of my character. It's fine to have to submit a history within the game after a few days, but above all making one online apart from the MUSH, and also making one before you can get a character... well it turns me off because I like to sample a world a bit before I commit that deeply. Also I had so much trouble even trying it with word press last time a mush I tried made me do that, that I just didn't finish. They probably wonder where I disappeared to lol.

2. not so major, but I don't care for character approval. As I write this post it's almost 6 pm, and if I were to try a new mush now, only to find, oops, I need approval, I'll have to wait to even touch that mush till hours when someone else is free to check over my bio and description etc. and gosh forbid it's Saturday. I will take a mud with that, but I don't care for it.

3. Newbie friendly. I have poked my head into a few mushes a long time ago, but even then I spent time trying to figure out commands. I'll probably be even worse now. :)
4. on the relaxed side. I've said I am a new RPer for the last month, but I still feel new and a bit shy/insecure RPing in a new situation. Maybe a MUSH that shows mercy?

I have done my best to put these in order of importance. With the exception of #1, I am willing to trade off one or two of my stipulations for a great mush.
Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

emurphy

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Re: Starting with MUSHes, am I being too specific?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 10:35 PM »
I suggest giving City of Hope a shot (disclaimer: I run it).

1. Writing a bio is optional.
2. We do require approval of stats (but I usually manage fast turnaround for first-timers), plus +notes for stats that need more than a number. (Super rich? Give us at least a sentence on what type of super successful career you have, or if you're a trust fund baby, or a vampire with a couple centuries of compound interest. Addiction flaw? Let us know if it's booze, weed, coke, etc.)
3. We aim for this. If you apply for a vampire/werewolf/etc. then you should read at least some of the main rulebook for that thing, but plain vanilla mortals are perfectly viable using just common sense.
4. We aim for this, too. There are official policies that basically amount to "IC random griefing auto-fails" and "OOC bothering someone after they've clearly told you to stop will get you thrown out".

Teryel

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 11:53 PM »
Hi everyone,

I love the concept of a MUSH, and want to play some, but I'm finding that I am looking for one with pretty specific requirements. Can anyone tell me if there is a such mush with the below stipulations, or am I being nit-picky... (Just say it if I am!) Lol.

1. I really don't want to have to make a word press bio of my character. It's fine to have to submit a history within the game after a few days, but above all making one online apart from the MUSH, and also making one before you can get a character... well it turns me off because I like to sample a world a bit before I commit that deeply. Also I had so much trouble even trying it with word press last time a mush I tried made me do that, that I just didn't finish. They probably wonder where I disappeared to lol.

2. not so major, but I don't care for character approval. As I write this post it's almost 6 pm, and if I were to try a new mush now, only to find, oops, I need approval, I'll have to wait to even touch that mush till hours when someone else is free to check over my bio and description etc. and gosh forbid it's Saturday. I will take a mud with that, but I don't care for it.

3. Newbie friendly. I have poked my head into a few mushes a long time ago, but even then I spent time trying to figure out commands. I'll probably be even worse now. :)
4. on the relaxed side. I've said I am a new RPer for the last month, but I still feel new and a bit shy/insecure RPing in a new situation. Maybe a MUSH that shows mercy?

I have done my best to put these in order of importance. With the exception of #1, I am willing to trade off one or two of my stipulations for a great mush.
Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

If you care to elaborate on genres, we might be able to offer you more specific instructions. There are a large variety of MUSH/MUX out there with themes from super heroes to New World of Darkness. Star Trek, Star Wars, DnD, etc etc.

musicmyxtress

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 8:11 PM »
Hi,
 I’m sorry I didn’t even think about the genre.  I tend to go for fantasy or sci-fi. I like book theme  role-play if I know the book, such as Harry Potter,  but I find lord of the ring games are tired to me. 

ryanwstuck

• New to TMC
  • CyberASSAULT.org 11111
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 3:18 AM »
:)

Teryel

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 3:39 AM »
Hi,
 I’m sorry I didn’t even think about the genre.  I tend to go for fantasy or sci-fi. I like book theme  role-play if I know the book, such as Harry Potter,  but I find lord of the ring games are tired to me.

You might find yourself a good fit at Arx. I personally didn't find it was for me, but that was for personal reasons. It's a pretty large MUSH with a generally friendly and helpful player base, set in a fantasy theme. There is a character approval, and an application, but both are minimal. Kind of.

To be more specific, they have a roster of characters that you can choose from. It's not mandatory that you do so. You can create an "OC" (Original Character) but that will require a bit more effort.

All in all though, it'd probably be worth it for you. There are people online pretty much around the clock. And a good solid number of them too. The characters are pretty diverse, and there's a good chance you can find one you like. After doing so, you submit a brief application so that the staff knows you understand the basics of the character and have some motivations and goals moving forward. If you were to see a character you like, but weren't sure how to fill out the application, you would likely find someone willing to help.

So yes, there is a bit of an application, but depending on the character you're going for, it could be a turnaround of as little as 1-2 hours. But expect that if you fill it out today, you'll have a response by tomorrow.

If you want more information, I suggestion start at play.arxmush.org and read up a bit. Make sure to glance over play.arxmush.org/character/available and then log into the game.

Again, I found it wasn't a good fit for me personally, so I've got nothing to gain by suggesting the place. I just happen to think it could fit your needs, especially if you're relatively new to the MUSH environment.

Best of luck.