The Mud Connector

Author Topic: A proposal for a new Moderator tool - Time_out  (Read 3117 times)

Molly

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
A proposal for a new Moderator tool - Time_out
« on: February 24, 2018, 8:56 AM »
Even though there is generally a consensus among the Mods about what to do, when posters are acting inappropriately, it sometimes takes too long to reach that consensus, due to our different Timezones.

I think it would be helpful if there was a tool that might stop a thread from spinning out of control, while still being so minimally obtrusive to the target, that a single moderator on line would feel that they could use it, without first consulting the others.

What I am proposing is a tool called Time_Out, (which is sometimes used in Swedish schools to put a temporary halt to someone with ADH-like behavior). It's meant to give the person time to cool off, while at the same time relieving the rest of public from having to tolerate it.

What Time_Out would do is a temporary and very short ban, lasting perhaps 12 or 24 hours, (or even shorter). During that time the affected poster would be stopped from posting on any boards, while still being able to read everything, and to use the Private Message function. If two posters are acting out against each other, because of personal issues, (which is too often the case), both of them should be affected by the Time_out.

This is something that probably would need assistance from Icculus, since it should be totally automated, so that there would be no need for anyone to keep track of the time when the restriction should be lifted again.

So what do you guys think about it? Is it something that could be acceptable for the community?
Molly O'Hara of 4 Dimensions
4Dimensions.org Port 6000

sazxe

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Re: A proposal for a new Moderator tool - Time_out
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 10:28 AM »
Timed suspensions have been a feature on forums for decades so whatever but lol that this forum software didn't already have it. That's TMC for you.

Tijer

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 2:01 PM »
As far as im aware SMF (which the forums code here is based on) has timed suspensions (except they are called bans) What i think Molly is requesting is some kind of function that pretty much sets the user in read only mode.
--Tijer
War of Legend    • Mud • Waroflegend.net port 4200   • Web • http://www.waroflegend.net
Aadarian Realms • Mud • Aadaria.net port 1111/1114  • Web • http://www.aadaria.com

Thraxian

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 2:05 PM »
I am in support of a "time out" moderator action, and I agree that automating the release of the time out is critical to its success.

In re-reading my post in the other moderation topic, I had approached the idea of a "time out" from a topic-based mute, rather than a user-based one.  I believe that a user-based "time out" would likely be a more effective measure.  Nice thinking!

Drizzt1216

• View Profile
    • tbaMUD
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 2:21 PM »
As far as im aware SMF (which the forums code here is based on) has timed suspensions (except they are called bans) What i think Molly is requesting is some kind of function that pretty much sets the user in read only mode.

Read-only is what all bans should be IMO, it's pretty silly that on many forum implementations when banned you need to logout to read the forums.

Tijer

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 2:43 PM »

Read-only is what all bans should be IMO, it's pretty silly that on many forum implementations when banned you need to logout to read the forums.

The reason for that is most forums expect you to log in to actually be able to read the threads.  Ofcourse most these days let people view them without logging in, but thats why!
--Tijer
War of Legend    • Mud • Waroflegend.net port 4200   • Web • http://www.waroflegend.net
Aadarian Realms • Mud • Aadaria.net port 1111/1114  • Web • http://www.aadaria.com

Hades_Kane

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 4:16 PM »
I'm fine with such a feature.  Not real particular on what the specifics of it may be... seems like there's really only 1 or 2 ways to implement such a thing.

I also think that perhaps the semantics of "a 24 hour ban" vs a "time out" would be part of the reason to have something new added.  I would probably go a bit further and call it a "posting cooldown" or similar since the connotations of a "time out" (at least in the US) could easily be taken as a condescending "you're acting like a child, so here's a time out" means.  Cooldown being a bit of a gaming term wouldn't hurt, either.  I know I'm arguing semantics here, but whatever, I think it would matter in the heat of an argument where tempers may be inflamed and that people being restricted from posting may react better to getting a "cooldown period" vs a "time out" or a "temporary ban".
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 10:55 PM »
The biggest problem I see with "time out" is what happened during the last plethora of negative posts I saw several posts shut down before a response could be given and they were shut down allowing the final post to be from someone extremely toxic leaving their post as the final one. This happened multiple times leaving the "last word" poorly spoken.

I can see this happening again with the "time out" which will effectively nullify the one sent to time out from responding. While you might say, "they deserved it" and you might be right, however, this will be a subjective decision and if it is similar to the locked threads I can see some real problems.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Teryel

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 1:59 AM »
The biggest problem I see with "time out" is what happened during the last plethora of negative posts I saw several posts shut down before a response could be given and they were shut down allowing the final post to be from someone extremely toxic leaving their post as the final one. This happened multiple times leaving the "last word" poorly spoken.

I can see this happening again with the "time out" which will effectively nullify the one sent to time out from responding. While you might say, "they deserved it" and you might be right, however, this will be a subjective decision and if it is similar to the locked threads I can see some real problems.

So you're saying it's important that you be able to get the "last word"?

At least he's honest about that I guess.

But if you put any thought into this, what-so-ever, you'd see that a time_out would be exactly the opposite of what you're saying. Because if it's people being toxic that are being put in time out, then people being toxic aren't going to be able to get the "last word" as you seem to be so concerned with. Additionally, if the mods are only putting people who break the rules in timeout or what-have-you, then it's not "subjective" that they deserved it, it's "objective".

However, maybe after a time out, they can come back with something more calm and constructive to say. Unless they're tweaked out of shape at being given the timeout in the first place. To whit I agree with what Hades_Kane says, and that "cooldown" is a bit better terminology.

Also, if you REALLY want to help keep people from getting ticked off, I would suggest putting exactly what rule is being broken when the cooldown, or ban even, is delivered. I have honestly and sincerely asked for what rule I was breaking in the past, and not been given an answer. This breeds attitudes of being picked on, bullied, or singled out. It's also why unilateral enforcement of the rules is important.

Point being, a cooldown, if used poorly, has a chance of escalating a situation, rather than having its intended effect.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 2:26 AM by Teryel »

Molly

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 7:00 AM »
I also think that perhaps the semantics of "a 24 hour ban" vs a "time out" would be part of the reason to have something new added.  I would probably go a bit further and call it a "posting cooldown" or similar since the connotations of a "time out" (at least in the US) could easily be taken as a condescending "you're acting like a child, so here's a time out" means.  Cooldown being a bit of a gaming term wouldn't hurt, either.  I know I'm arguing semantics here, but whatever, I think it would matter in the heat of an argument where tempers may be inflamed and that people being restricted from posting may react better to getting a "cooldown period" vs a "time out" or a "temporary ban".

Being Swedish I am not great at semantics, as I already stated. :)

I agree that the term Time_out brings out the image of a petulant child, (and to be totally honest, that has been the image in my head sometimes, when some posters go off at each other).
However, it's contra-productive to tick people off unnecessarily, so I agree the term Cool_down is definitely a better choice.

I still believe that having the possibility to put some posters on a pause, when things get overheated, would be a good thing. Hopefully, like someone already pointed out, they could use the pause time to work a bit more on the wording of their next post, instead of just hitting the send button, while temper still is running hot.

It was encouraging to learn that Cool_down is a common tool in many other Discussion Fora, that might make it easíer to implemen here, since the code for it obviously already exists. Maybe someone could provide it for us?
Molly O'Hara of 4 Dimensions
4Dimensions.org Port 6000

Epilogy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 6:24 PM »
Being Swedish I am not great at semantics

Sorry to aside, but are Swedes as good at MUDs as Koreans are at SC2?

It's just a pattern I've noticed, or sheer coincidence :|

Tavilyn

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 10:05 PM »
I generally like this idea.

If the word "timeout" is not preferred - and I can see the argument as to why, honestly - why not just call it a mute? You've been muted; you're free to read whatever you want, but you can't speak. This is what most MUDs and other such things tend to call it. Either that, or nochannel, but that wouldn't really apply here.

I like the concept though. Sometimes a person's actions are such that they need to be dealt with, but it can be inferred that if they're allowed to calm down, then escalation won't occur and further troubling behaviour won't be forthcoming from that incident. I approve.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 4:16 AM »
The proper word would be suspension. The time frame can be any amount the Moderators think is correct. 2 hours suspension, 8 hour, 24, 48, 1 week, etc.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Teryel

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 4:48 AM »
The proper word would be suspension. The time frame can be any amount the Moderators think is correct. 2 hours suspension, 8 hour, 24, 48, 1 week, etc.

The proper word is whatever the moderators decide it is. Suspension sounds like you've moved up from kindergarten to jr high. Shall we call a permanent ban an expulsion?

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 5:08 AM »
The proper word is whatever the moderators decide it is. Suspension sounds like you've moved up from kindergarten to jr high. Shall we call a permanent ban an expulsion?
Suspension is the term used in most office environments, law enforcement, and websites where you are banned for a time. Ban is long term, suspension is short term.  I feel it is the proper term for this action, though I'm not a big fan of bans or suspensions except in the most extreme cases.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com