The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Forum / Moderator Policy on Promotions  (Read 3921 times)

Darkozx

• Owner of Dragonball Evolution
    • View Profile
Re: Forum / Moderator Policy on Promotions
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2018, 8:46 PM »
Respond in PMs then if you don't want the public to see it, plus I'm just trying to fit in with everyone else.
Dragonball Evolution, the longest running DBZ MUD online!
Address: evolution.wolfpaw.net
Port: 1874

Zandy

• Community Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2018, 9:39 PM »

I was going to respond to Dark's comment, but there's just too much negativity and egotism in it to do so productively, so screw it.

Your response was fine up until this point.  Just don't...  I don't care what someone else says, just stop.  We're trying to let you guys discuss things here but this contributes nothing.  If the behavior continues that has been happening the past few weeks we're going to be forced to step in and have a heavier hand.

Teryel

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2018, 9:57 PM »

I was going to respond to Dark's comment, but there's just too much negativity and egotism in it to do so productively, so screw it.

Your response was fine up until this point.  Just don't...  I don't care what someone else says, just stop.  We're trying to let you guys discuss things here but this contributes nothing.  If the behavior continues that has been happening the past few weeks we're going to be forced to step in and have a heavier hand.

And this brings us to an earlier point that was brought up. When one poster's negative comment is left up, and someone else responds to it, and then the responder is the one that gets slapped.

If that's the way it's going to be, then go ahead and ban me now, because no, I'm not going to stop responding to negativity with negativity. I didn't flame. I didn't insult other people's muds. I pointed out that the comment he made negated any and all desire to respond to it, even though he had a couple valid points. The egotism of "My MUD is functional and all other MUDs are sh** and don't deserve to have their promotions seen" needs to be taken care of, and seems to be one of his primary arguments for this whole conversation.

Zandy

• Community Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2018, 11:07 PM »
And this brings us to an earlier point that was brought up. When one poster's negative comment is left up, and someone else responds to it, and then the responder is the one that gets slapped.

If that's the way it's going to be, then go ahead and ban me now, because no, I'm not going to stop responding to negativity with negativity. I didn't flame. I didn't insult other people's muds. I pointed out that the comment he made negated any and all desire to respond to it, even though he had a couple valid points. The egotism of "My MUD is functional and all other MUDs are sh** and don't deserve to have their promotions seen" needs to be taken care of, and seems to be one of his primary arguments for this whole conversation.

He didn't mention you or address you directly.  Other than his "butthurt" comment I thought it was actually a pretty decent post.  He expressed an opinion, which we're encouraging.  It might have been a little direct but in the past week or two it pales in comparison with some of the things that have been posted.  We've encouraged people to start using the ignore function if you can't refrain from trying to get a dig in.  If you won't make use of it we will be forced to do so for you.

Edit: By the way that goes for everyone.  We've gotten to the point where everyone has had enough time to figure things out but if we can't discuss, and even argue, with some civility then actions will be taken.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:23 PM by Zandy »

Jodah

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2018, 2:37 AM »
I guess we're back to walking on eggshells.

Drizzt1216

• View Profile
    • tbaMUD
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2018, 2:46 AM »
Even mentioning the ignore function is silly.

It literally does nothing. If you don't have the willpower to ignore someones posts then you're still going to click "View Post" to see what they wrote when you see they posted. "Ignore" is basically a meme, it's so ineffectual so as to basically be satirical in nature.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2018, 4:12 AM »
Getting back down to business and the point of this thread which is to allow promotions and responses to promotions, when to allow them, and what type to allow.

After reading all the posts and comments I personally think we shouldn't change the rules. That's my stance.

So the question:

A) Change the rules to more strict.
B) Don't change the rules.

I vote B.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Epilogy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2018, 10:44 AM »
I vote B.

Considering you're the reason we're attempting to even change it, I'm pretty sure even the trees are aware of your support in that. That said, I'm not sure why anyone should listen to anything you have to say about MUDs in general, nevermind the moderation of the forum dedicated to them.

Not a personal attack, just the truth. You're evasive, and dissembling about your own game's finances, and consistently exhibit a complete lack of knowledge about any other MUD, or codebase in existence besides your own. The namedrop of Smaugmud the other day pretty much cemented that perception into permanence. I'd reference the creation of mudlistings as precedent for your need to attempt control, and assertion of authority based upon hot air.

A constant attempt to manipulate conversation to your favor is also getting old. There's a pattern of you intentionally inciting argument, then attempting to lead the conversation at your convenience. This isn't your mud, and the tactics you use to control your population aren't going to work.

tl;dr: Cut the sh**. Pushing the envelope is what brought us here, and you're dangerously close to shoving it completely off the table.

Zandy

• Community Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2018, 10:47 AM »
Thank you for your input and contribution, we feel we have what we need to make decisions on how to proceed from here.