The Mud Connector

Author Topic: State of MUD's in General  (Read 6259 times)

pariias

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
State of MUD's in General
« on: February 14, 2018, 1:16 PM »
Man I'm not sure I know where to begin. I've been looking for a new mud to spend a lot of time at, and every one ends up hitting all these nerves that I hate. Am I over sensitive, too picky, or is this just how it is now? Maybe I have had really bad luck or just haven't found the right place yet.

- Logging in and having entire sets of gear thrown at your feet, transferred to you, or given to you against your will. I don't want your stuff. I don't want to be kitted out before I kill my first monster. When you give me all this stuff, I have nothing else to hunt for.. these games are about loot to me. I want to kill a nasty mob and earn the sword he dropped. Not find it in my bag when I get on.

- Logging in and being inundated by people telling you how to play. Dude. Do you really think there are that many true newbies out there that we all need advice? I know how to mud, I just don't know your map yet.

- Being told every five minutes to go vote on TMC. Just stop. I'll vote for you when I decide if you're truly worth the vote.

- Old players being bullies.. it's amazing how prevalent this has been. Your mud has 5 people online, one is me, three are idle and the one active player would rather you just log off.

I could go on. I've had really bad experiences lately and just had to get it off my chest. I want to mud but man.. it's been a struggle.

Darkozx

• Owner of Dragonball Evolution
    • View Profile
Re: State of MUD's in General
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 4:14 PM »
I would just chill out and accept that MUDs or any game for that matter will never be your perfect game. Sometimes you have to learn to adjust or deal with it to have some fun. Letting some social interactions deter you from enjoying a game is silly if anything. Ignore them and play the MUD, no need to stop playing a MUD just because a couple players were being annoying(helpful in their eyes).
Dragonball Evolution, the longest running DBZ MUD online!
Address: evolution.wolfpaw.net
Port: 1874

pariias

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 5:00 PM »
I would just chill out and accept that MUDs or any game for that matter will never be your perfect game. Sometimes you have to learn to adjust or deal with it to have some fun. Letting some social interactions deter you from enjoying a game is silly if anything. Ignore them and play the MUD, no need to stop playing a MUD just because a couple players were being annoying(helpful in their eyes).

I hear ya on the chilling out part.. but I'm talking about these players being the only people there that are available to play with. I'm not hard to get along with, and generally really enjoy just chatting with people. I understand the internet is going to have crappy people everywhere, I think I was more trying to state that it's unfortunate to encounter this kind of thing when MUD's are hurting.

pariias

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 5:06 PM »
Sorry.. "this sort of thing" referring to the last part of my original post obviously. Threads crossed a bit in relation to the reason for this post in the first place.

Hades_Kane

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 6:07 PM »
End of Time probably wouldn't be an exact right fit, but I'll touch on a few points...

-We give newbies a full set of equipment going through the newbie tutorial (or right after they choose to skip it).  But, several other, better pieces are available through monster killing or puzzle solving right there in the newbie zone.  Of course, you'd be just welcome to drop the bag that's given you to and proceed from there... but still yeah, we give a full set of newbie equipment.

-Generally people will welcome new players and offer to answer any questions, but no one is going to pester you to play X or Y.  I'd recommend going through the "new to End of Time" section of the tutorial because there is a lot more to know about the game than "our map", but you're welcome to skip this and choose EoT Veteran...  We have helpfiles for a reason :p  But, that's also the benefit of having a smaller playerbase... there's less noise to suffer through.

-We give the vote link in the MOTD upon login, but generally it doesn't get mentioned outside of that.

-Again, the game is generally quiet, and when it isn't, people are friendly and welcoming.  There are competitive aspects built into the game, but generally the playerbase isn't competitive at all with one another.  Plus, if we saw one player bullying a newbie, the player would probably be booted pretty quick.  We don't babysit our playerbase, but there's no need for that kind of nonsense.  Also, we have an ignore feature, so there's that.

You're welcome to try us if you haven't already.  We have a pretty good game setup, but it isn't for everyone either.
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

pariias

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 6:15 PM »
You're welcome to try us if you haven't already.  We have a pretty good game setup, but it isn't for everyone either.

I surprisingly have not tried that one. I'll give it a shot tomorrow, thank you.

Teryel

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 6:41 PM »

I surprisingly have not tried that one. I'll give it a shot tomorrow, thank you.

If you'd like an enjoyable, helpful but not overly aggressive, Square based MUD, you could check out:

The Unofficial Squaresoft MUD

uossmud.sandwich.net:9000

Been around since 1997, and they've slowly added SE content over the years. Great job system similar to final fantasy tactics, and far more active than some other places.

Drizzt1216

• View Profile
    • tbaMUD
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 7:19 PM »
Am I over sensitive, too picky

I'd say yes based on your complaints.

- Logging in and having entire sets of gear thrown at your feet, transferred to you, or given to you against your will. I don't want your stuff. I don't want to be kitted out before I kill my first monster. When you give me all this stuff, I have nothing else to hunt for.. these games are about loot to me. I want to kill a nasty mob and earn the sword he dropped. Not find it in my bag when I get on.

Nothing else to hunt for? You're making it sound like a game giving you starting ear somehow equates to it giving you endgame gear and that it takes all the enjoyment of looting ear out of the game. That's obviously nonsensical.

- Logging in and being inundated by people telling you how to play. Dude. Do you really think there are that many true newbies out there that we all need advice? I know how to mud, I just don't know your map yet.

- Being told every five minutes to go vote on TMC. Just stop. I'll vote for you when I decide if you're truly worth the vote.

- Old players being bullies.. it's amazing how prevalent this has been. Your mud has 5 people online, one is me, three are idle and the one active player would rather you just log off.

So, you want a MUD, but yet you're annoyed when players are either too helpful, or not helpful enough - and also you find requests to vote obnoxious, despite the fact that voting leads to a larger playerbase - which seems to be something you desire.

pariias

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 7:31 PM »
Am I over sensitive, too picky

I'd say yes based on your complaints.

Nothing else to hunt for? You're making it sound like a game giving you starting ear somehow equates to it giving you endgame gear and that it takes all the enjoyment of looting ear out of the game. That's obviously nonsensical.

So, you want a MUD, but yet you're annoyed when players are either too helpful, or not helpful enough - and also you find requests to vote obnoxious, despite the fact that voting leads to a larger playerbase - which seems to be something you desire.

Nah dude you're taking it all out of context and maybe I just didn't explain myself enough. I'm not talking about starting gear at all, I mean existing players dropping a quest item that's very difficult to get - yet ruins the newbie experience when it gives you 20x your health leading to zero risk. That's just one specific example, but the most relevant. Everywhere I've gone has had something similar. Just saying I'd like to work for gear.

But yes, I do not want to be told to vote every five minutes. It's annoying.

Epilogy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 7:49 PM »
It sounds like you're also looking for a game where level gains are not based on temporary scores.

This means, wearing a set of gear to max your stats so you get the best rolls on hp/mp/etc.
Can also extend to spell buffs.

If it's mandatory, it should just be included or removed.
TheDude is dead.

Stop bothering me already 3:

Drizzt1216

• View Profile
    • tbaMUD
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 8:16 PM »
I absolutely agree with you that experienced players giving newbies tons of good gear can ruin a game and destroy the feeling of progression.

I just thought from your opening post that you had a problem with newbie areas that ave you free starter gear as well.

The second scenario is sort of mandatory on some MUDs, as even the weakest mobs are too strong for some classes to kill naked. The first, well, just sort of spoils the experience as far as I'm concerned.

Breaker_Asylum

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 8:56 PM »
I nearly quit a mud because of an idiot told me cleaver or nothing, a cleaver is a mountain dwarf... only mountain dwarf ranger. I may be BREAKER asylum, but I can still break, and be broken.  So please, give this guy a listen ZOMBIEMUD!

Breaker_Asylum

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 8:58 PM »
and Oh right, Pariias, please stop provoking this community.

pariias

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 10:21 AM »
and Oh right, Pariias, please stop provoking this community.

That was, and never has been my intention. I only come here to look for a new mud to play and get people's opinion on things. The best mud's I have found are from people here that reply to something and tell me to come check out where they play.

It just so happened that in this case, the last five or so mud's I've tried - all completely different - have all started the same way. That's all.

Molly

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 10:40 AM »
[quote author=pariias link=topic=81175.msg214585#msg214585 date=151862496
I could go on. I've had really bad experiences lately and just had to get it off my chest. I want to mud but man.. it's been a struggle.
[/quote]

It's funny. People, who have issues with being new on muds, usually complain about the game being too hard, or of being ignored, just because they are new. And you complain about the absolute opposite.

My guess would be that nowadays, when most text muds more or less struggle for survival, the majority of the players really welcome newbies. And maybe that's why they go a bit overboard in being helpful. The inevitable bully is a bit harder to understand. While I definitely won't deny that bullies exist in every skill based game, it doesn't seem typical for them to pick on a newbie. 

You already got a couple of suggestions about good Muds to try, and I am going to give you one more. You should try 4 Dimensions, mainly for two reasons:

1. It is set up in a way that makes it also work as a single player game. You don't normally need other players to get along, not even as a group to take down the toughest mobs. Because - (with the exception of a couple of really bad-ass ones) - an experienced player with the right gear can take all of them down singlehanded.

2. While good gear definitely is important in 4D, the best of it is acquired by questing. And quest gear can normally only be used by someone who actually finished the quest on their own, not being given it by others. And among the information that you get, after finishing our rather unique Quest Academy, is this: "Don't spoil the fun for others by revealing the secrets about the Quests".

And I'll add a 3rd reason too: You should try 4D, because it is a really good game, where you'll never run out of new things to do. And given how much work that has been put into this game over the 20 years that we've been on line, we don't nearly have as many players as I think we deserve.
Molly O'Hara of 4 Dimensions
4Dimensions.org Port 6000