The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Can I do this with an established codebase?  (Read 6867 times)

KnellerWasHere

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Re: Can I do this with an established codebase?
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2018, 7:52 PM »
So, about this turn based combat idea, you actually going somewhere with it? Have any groundwork done?

Yes, I'm pulling together a team of like-minded coders now. We have two python codebases with which to work that we're going to finagle into what we need for this game.

They are. At it's core, it's simply trying to get their hp values to 0 before yours do. You can theme it, and skin it up various ways, but that's the basic concept. Magic/skills are easily swayed one way or another by altering the calculation that goes into their effectiveness. Need more damage magic? Base it on a stat that's independent from healing, or buffs, or debuffs. You can alter the mix of stats as needed for whatever it is you may want. A switch works just as well, too, for classes capable of both. Cleric Stance, from FFXIV, is a good example. Turn it on? Int and Wis scores get switched out. While generally incapable of pumping out the raw damage of a black mage in any given situation, it gives them offensive capability so in instances where healing isn't as important as damage, they don't become useless.

This is true and I wonder about it. I mean, no matter how you complicate it with elemental systems and damage types and what not, at the end of the day, it boils down to dish out the most damage and take the least. Kinda makes you wonder where the game is.

This has me thinking about Hades' idea of (basically) everyone is a summoner and I'm feeling kinda meta about it. I mean, there everyone is the same, but underneath it all everyone would be the same anyway.

Epilogy

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2018, 8:20 PM »
Kinda makes you wonder where the game is.

That's an easy one!

Concept.

Be it design, character, story, mechanic, etc.

If you want to get someone's attention, you need to have something, or many somethings that appeal to them.

Some people will hunt down games with vampires, or werewolves.
Some people will find places where they can design, and test autonomous ai bots.
Some people will min/max.
Some will PK.
Some will craft.
Some roleplay.

That is by no means an exhaustive list, but you should probably figure out now what it is that will set you apart, and then design the game around that. You can't be expected to shoehorn in any big changes without a review of everything else you've created, to see if it meshes properly. The sooner you iron out what you want, the sooner you can begin to build with all your concepts in mind.

I want to add: There's nothing wrong with doing one thing well. It's not so great if a mud is juggling 10 different, competing ideas that conflict with each other, and they're half-assed at that.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 8:22 PM by Epilogy »
TheDude is dead.

Stop bothering me already 3:

KnellerWasHere

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2018, 9:04 PM »
True, but this is mainly simulation, there's not much room for analytical thought. So, it's like, once you figure out to use fire on ice creature and ice on fire creatures because they're weak against those things, then the brain goes on autopilot.

EDIT: I will say, I'm studying the (in some cases, overcomplicated) formulas for the FF games and am finding a trend that the relative differences between classes are much smaller than I would have expected and that differences are much more a product of level. For example, in FFIX, all characters gain 38 points of magic between level 1 and level 99, regardless as to whether you're a mage or a warrior. The only real differences are your base values. So, Vivi the black mage has 6 points more magic than Zidane. This difference can be affected by class-specific gear, but we're only talking a couple of points. This difference gets magnified by some of the equations, but the net result is relatively the same. That is, you're doing more damage, but mobs also have more hit points, so it basically takes the same number of hits to kill something.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 11:38 PM by KnellerWasHere »