The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Moderator Reports  (Read 1465 times)

Hades_Kane

• TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
Moderator Reports
« on: January 23, 2018, 4:51 PM »
I would like to bring up the possibility of one of two things...

The ability to "mute" (or remove the capability of) certain posters sending moderator reports, and/or amending the rules that making repeated moderator reports over trivial things (usually one or two posters constantly reporting each other's posts) to qualify as spam and subject to punitive action if the behavior persists after a warning.

I'm getting very sick of certain posters submitting reports every time their forum nemesis makes a post, and just of the ones I haven't "closed", there are literally 10 still sitting in the reports section from just the last week.

I don't know about the other mods, but I personally have no interest in being used as tool for posters to grind an axe with one another that are basically running to tattle on one another like children.

There's an ignore feature for a reason, and if two people simply cannot get along or stand one another so much, I really recommend making use of that feature.
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

Molly

• TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Moderator Reports
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 9:14 AM »
That thread definitely went over the hill, but I am not sure that stopping it completely would have been better.
People needed to vent, and they got the chance to do it.

What I definitely dislike is the "lynch mentality" that this thread showed up, where several posters seemed to join the feeding frenzy simply because they where annoyed with Ateraan's frequent promotions.

Ateraan has declared that he won't post any more in that thread, and I hope he sticks to it, since the discussion, even though it's gone off topic again, feels better. At least the lynch mob feeling seems to be gone. 

Still, the thread probably needs to be split again, because of the off-topic, but if we do that, it should probably best be presented as a joint decision between the moderators. And maybe we should label it "Personal quarrels are best carried out over Messages"?

As for the moderator "reports", I am as sick with them as Hades_Kane. The way they are used, it becomes nothing but spam, but at least it is a spam that only affects the moderators.
At least I hope so.

Anyhow, try to think, before you post.
And that goes for everyone, me too.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:13 AM by Molly »
Molly O'Hara of 4 Dimensions
4Dimensions.org Port 6000

Epilogy

• View Profile
Re: Moderator Reports
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 10:35 AM »
They say no man is an island...

I don't think TMC is dead, and this particular spectacle should have proven that. People came out of the woodword to chime in their opinions, and yeah, things did get a bit out of hand... but those were mainly small, isolated pockets which could be neatly excised if mods were taking their responsibility seriously. I appreciate this approach, and feel I will continue to for as long as mods continue to take it seriously.

The only caveat I have to add now is that for as long as there is a mudconnect.com, and it's in the hands of the MUD community, the owner of that site has a responsibility to the community he created. Follow through with what you've started. What you created here was a good work that has persevered despite many adversities. Let it continue to bring MUDs to the masses, and help people find their own happiness within them, if they so choose, until the last MUD server goes down. Maybe you could find a reason in there somewhere to keep an eye on this place from afar, and possible improve it. Some let individuals drag them down in service to a larger whole, and their loss is usually the one felt most keenly. Nothing wrong with being silent, as long as we know you're around somewhere with us in mind ;)

-Some crazy ***hole attempting a moment of clarity