The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Starting a New MUD  (Read 5908 times)

Daemonus

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
    • Twist of FaTE MUDS
Starting a New MUD
« on: January 12, 2018, 2:11 PM »
Here we go folks, as we all know, i'm sure this has been asked a 1000 times. Here it goes. What, in everyone's opinion is the most balanced, user friendly. Has a great, well functioning OLC with the possibility of an offline editor? Thoughts? and GO!

Hades_Kane

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
Re: Starting a New MUD
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 3:27 PM »
Probably some form of LP.  That seems to be among the most versatile along with an active community (with is useful for support).

I'll never venture outside of ROM; that's what I'm most familiar with and we have enhanced our codebase tremendously, but there is practically no ROM community anymore.

What codebases are YOU the most familiar with as a player?  It would be much easier to understand the ins and outs of a game if you are familiar with it from that perspective.
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

Daemonus

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
    • Twist of FaTE MUDS
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 10:41 PM »
Thanks for the response Hades. I'm most familiar with the Rom family tree myself. Done a ton with ROT, ROM, a little with Smaug and some Circle, I used to run AnimeMUD(old ROM) years ago, as well as Malacious Bliss(Shattered Dreams ROT codebase.) But we are looking to start fresh mostly.

P.S. EOT is legit. I like it a ton.

scandum

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 12:53 AM »
You could take a look at Lola 1.4

http://www.mudbytes.net/file-2644/

It's Diku based and has a lot of unique features. It's worth looking into as you'll probably find a few things to rip out and reuse in your own mud.

Maeglin - RealmsMUD

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
    • Realmsmud
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 12:52 PM »
I think it's largely a question of what you're comfortable with and how competent a software developer you are - simply put, you can do anything with any codebase - the real question becomes how easy it is to accomplish given what you currently know and/or are passionate enough about to learn.

That being said, my overwhelming preference over the years has been LPMuds - specifically because, if you can imagine it, you can implement it in the running mud. This "greatest strength" is also its greatest weakness: if you're not a software developer/hobbyist, the learning curve for getting anything to work can be steep and that can be a bit of a barrier to entry into the LPC world. Even adding a room, monster, item, etc requires "writing a program" - unless the lib implementors have added support for "codeless" (ie: data only) creation of common "area builder" type tasks.

That's my eventual goal for RealmsMUD in order to reach a broader builder audience, but that's a much different conversation...

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 1:54 PM »
I usually suggest this thread when someone is asking about building a Mud:

http://www.mudconnect.com/SMF/index.php?topic=77951.msg199129#msg199129

This may help you before you start choosing your type of MUD.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Daemonus

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
    • Twist of FaTE MUDS
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 12:49 AM »
Thank you for the input everyone. I've ran my own MUDs in the past. I'm simply looking to get back into it. I'm in the process of putting 2 of them back up. I ran AnimeMUD for a few years, but, the returning players of course couldn't understand new leadership, new rules, new guidelines and I wasn't going to put up with the crap that some of them dealt out to previous owners of the game. Then I ventured off to making Malacious Bliss. Both MUDs were pretty successful in their time periods. Now, my partner and I have found the code we are going to use to work with. Has everything we need and want already in it, with a few exceptions that are easily worked in. Our only issue is, we are wanting to get a hold of the folks that released  the code base as we have some questions in regards to it. AND both are still listed here on the site. Was planning on emailing them soon and seeing if they reply.

Drizzt1216

• View Profile
    • tbaMUD
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 8:28 PM »
I'd pick tbaMUD, it's the only DIKU derivative I am aware of that still has active development and an active community and has far more powerful scripting capabilities than other DIKU derivatives I've seen. I think the OLC is super user friendly as well.

It's basically CircleMUD, except that it's been continuously developed for the last several years whereas stock CircleMUD hasn't been touched in 15 years or longer.

Whether it's better than LP, dunno, not super familiar with LP, but I think that's largely an apple vs. oranges comparison since they're radically different from each other.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 8:31 PM by Drizzt1216 »

Daemonus

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
    • Twist of FaTE MUDS
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 8:56 PM »
Thanks for the input Drizzt! We actually downloaded the code and have it up and running and looking through it as a side type project to work on slowly and develop here and there as well. I'm highly impressed with it. For the MUD we are developing now, it didn't quite meet the needs of what exactly we are looking to expand on. But for another project it may possibly be our pick for sure.

Drizzt1216

• View Profile
    • tbaMUD
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 2:46 AM »
Regardless of whether you decide to use it at any point in the future, if you have any questions or criticisms/feature requests about it please do feel free to let us know.

We have forums at https://www.tbamud.com/forums and either Rumble and/or myself (Fizban) are usually online on the MUD which can be found at tbamud.com:9091

Hopefully whatever you decide upon works well for you.

piguy314

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 5:29 PM »
I like Dikumud derivatives.

Finder_WD

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 2:25 AM »
If you are able to drive a player generated content module that is easy to use and administrate, that might not be a bad idea.