The Mud Connector

Author Topic: The Era of Change - Complete Reset of New Worlds Ateraan!  (Read 7884 times)

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
The Era of Change - Complete Reset of New Worlds Ateraan!
« on: January 09, 2018, 2:07 AM »
A massive week long event ushered into a complete new era of New Worlds Ateraan.

That's right, complete player wipe!

With massive New Areas and a chance to join 100's of new players at the beginning of an epic new era on Ateraan called: After the Fall of the Guardians.

New Worlds Ateraan has been around for almost 20 years and is considered a TORG or Text Only Roleplaying Game. The roleplay is intense, deep, and enforced. The players are serious roleplayers and are excited to join you as the story line is epic (see next post for the story line history).

When dozens of players died in a massive invasion during the Return of the Warlock (see link below) the stage was set for the new beginning. Over a 100 players started in the last two days. Join us and you can also be at the beginning to help create the future of our novel.

See you there!

Link to the Return of the Warlock post:
http://www.mudconnect.com/SMF/index.php?topic=81109.msg213930#msg213930
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 2:26 AM by Ateraan »
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
Re: The Era of Change - Complete Reset of New Worlds Ateraan!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 2:18 AM »

Before the Kings
Thousands of years ago the establishment of the Gods and Godesses  came into power on the World known as Ateraan. These beings evolved from a choatic strife between what was known as the Oracle and the Enemy. Legend says that the Gods at the time were known in three realms. One being the God of the World itself, a Spirit known as Ateraan and caretaker of Nature. Another was of the Darkness, the God of Shadow endowed with power and known as Dahkoar. The third was a Woman of Light, a being of empathy and known to her followers as Waylumi.

Prophets, Religious Leaders, Philosophers, and Keepers of the Lore have sometimes disagreed on the origin of the Deity and even on the Chaotic war, but one thing that has stayed consistent is the tale of the Guardians. It is said that in Ancient times the Guardians were four beings set apart by the Oracle of the Cosmos to stand as watch keepers against the return of the Enemy. These beings were known as the Guardian of the North, The Guardian of the South, the Guardian of the West, and the Guardian of the East. Each were endowed with special relics and power to form a barrier against creatures of another dimension.

As time passed the location and knowledge of the Guardians fell into mystery and were not seen for centuries and only spoken about in stories by adept bards or written in ancient tomes by scholars.

The 1st Year of the King
In the 1st Year of the King, over a thousand years ago, it is written that the Legendary Retter were throughout the land and some say they were knights of the Guardians to go forth and keep order while establishing a more powerful group of men and women against the time of the return of the enemy.

Many argue over this as it is well known there were Retter both Dark and Light and they even quarreled among themselves. Despite this, the fact of Retter is true and the advent of all races of powerful beings became clear. Guilds of power sprang up in the form of Mages, Shaman, Druids, Warriors and others that lent power to those special persons that had some form of inner core spirituality. History declares that these persons were gifted by the Oracle to be champions and it seemed clear that many were. But again, this has become a topic of contention as many beings both good and evil seem to have been given this gift and battles have been fierce between them.

The Year of the King 1510
Decades passed and with them a change in times and seasons, power, and history. Nations and Cities rose up to establish order upon Ateraan. After the turn of the 16th Century in the Year of the King, the Great Migration occurred with the city states throughout the Southland growing with the Darmahk becoming one of the most prominent.

It is said those gifted with the power earlier disappeared into legend and new beings were born with this inner ability.They prospered and throughout the land beings of all manner of skill and power lent their abilities to varying Guilds, Clans, Religions, Cities, and Nations.

The Warlord became well known and gained in power calling himself the King of the Southland and attempted to put all Cities of the Southland under his iron fist.

For seven years prosperity reigned and it was written that the purpose of these years was for preparation of the most dangerous and mighty battle against Ateraan: The Return of the Enemy.

It was at the end of the Year 1517 that the Warlock of Teciann arrived to warn of this grave peril coming to Ateraan. Without the Guardians the world would surely be lost and he called upon four individuals to take on the Mantel of the Four Guardians. They were known as Shora the Waylumi, Kyte the Commander, Warg the Warrior, and Ramketh the Dahkoar. In a mighty battle of epic destruction the Four Guardians fell, but in falling established a ward that would be the catalyst to a heroic victory for the others born of the gift.

The Year of the King 1518
In the following year a strange occurrence happened as the gifted ones who had won the war disappeared off the face of the land. It is unclear what happened during this time by the rumours say that they left to usher into a new era of strength and prosperity. Whatever the case it is clear that they leave a mark of history upon this world as this new era begins.

Scholars and Philosophers have called this new era: After the Fall of the Guardians
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Salif

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 2:47 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing where things go here! This might actually get me re-interested in playing. I'm going to do my damndest not to know who anybody played previously.

Looking forward to a fresh start. I'm impressed that the player numbers seem higher than a few weeks ago as well.

Tiakeht

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 2:51 AM »
So, to start off I was a little unsure about the new ear. How it'd feel starting anew with an entirely new 'chapter'. I can honestly say that it's quite fun, and I'm enjoying the newness of it all. The chaos and the rush of it. The added lore with added little... well, I won't spoil that. As mentioned, the numbers seem higher. Everyone seems active as they all strive to get into the new era. It has that familiarity of New Worlds with a fresh start. It was all certainly a good idea, despite my caution on the matter; but I told myself that I'd give it a chance and I have. No regrets at all!

Also, a big shout-out to Lorsh. Quite honestly one of the more interesting roleplays I've had recently! Look for him in game and you'd see why. With roleplay like that? It's what keeps me playing!

Gamblejay

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 2:55 AM »
I didn't think I would stop back in but with talk of a playerwipe I couldn't help it and I've actually been enjoying myself quite a bit. With new faces and a fresh start there is a lot of new positivity flowing around, if there was a time to stop in and give the game a try now would be it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 2:58 AM by Gamblejay »

ShadowDawn

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 2:57 AM »
I fully admit, I had been burned out on the game for years. All I did was idle and listen to what was going on when the itch reared. I had tried repeatedly to get back into the game, even rolling a second character to play for a bit before retiring them once again. Things had gotten stale. However, I will admit that the news of the playerwipe saddened me somewhat. I always hate losing a character I've played for years.

I was skeptical that there would be excitement for the game after the wipe, but I had an idea of something I wanted to try and she just latched on hard. Thus I rolled up a new character and have dove in. It has been a lot of fun. Most everyone is back on the same level. Everyone is helping each other out, even in the harsh city of Darmahk. People are out socializing rather than just staying with their own familiar circle. The wipe actually did some good and helped revitalize the game.

Hopefully this wipe continues to bring new life and brings a new era to the game that I enjoyed so many hours playing previously.

rrrae

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 2:59 AM »
I came to New Worlds almost a decade ago because I'd lost a bet with a friend; I'd never played a MUD or any text-based game. I was a child born and raised on video games, so the idea of text-based roleplaying was a foreign concept. After the one week I had agreed to play, as per the terms of the bet, I was hooked. I joined up and never looked back. I immediately got wrapped up in the excitement and the magic, and eventually fell in love with the playerbase, as well.

Fastforward seven + years, and I am still here. I've made lifelong friends, I've laughed, I've cried, and I've thrown up (the Cook is totally cringing right now, sorry!) It's all been worth it. I managed to reach the very top of the game and peek into some end-game content - just a glimpse! But more recently, we were informed that a playerwipe was going to occur. It's a bittersweet thing, to have lost the character upon which all those memories were built (RIP Raelle), but as we move onwards into this new era, post Fall of the Guardians, I find myself experiencing the same magic I felt those many years ago when I joined. Anyone else who plays will know exactly what I mean: the thrill of defeating a bandit in battle, the excitement of visiting an area you have not yet seen before, the sweaty palms during tense roleplay, the elation when your character meets and connects with others. For me, this is ultimately a game about connections, but one peppered with "gaming" style. It creates a perfect combination in which to roleplay, and this 'new era' has presented a vast amount of new opportunities.

Guilds, religions and city systems are being built from the ground up and staff has allowed a lot of autonomy thusfar for the playerbase in choosing where these things are headed. This is a rewarding experience in and of itself, to help craft something that will be a lasting addition to the game for years and years to come. For anyone looking for a unique gaming experience that will frankly grab your heart and never let go, this is the game for you - you will find no lack of adventure, battle and excitement. Nor will you ever be lacking in roleplay and interaction, if you put yourself in a position to be a part of such things.

I highly recommend this game, and especially recommend it RIGHT NOW because of all the opportunities the reset has presented. So join up and find me in character! #makedruidsgreatagain

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 3:05 AM by rrrae »

Kylan554

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 3:02 AM »
When I first heard this was happening I was a little upset, but after playing again and starting all over, a lot of what had stagnated or died out for me is much more fun and enjoyable. I have more drive to play and there is a lot happening all over. It feels a lot more exciting to me, and purpose filled. Even beyond that, there is more content available as well. I can't say it's all going to be wonderful, but as of yet I am enjoying myself a lot and am excited for what's next

Khensei

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 3:03 AM »
Been playing the game for years and with this playerwipe it all feels new and refreshing to me again. It's definitely been an enjoyable few days playing the game since the wipe, everyone is off to a clean slate and around the same strength and there are tons of roleplay opportunities. Looking forward to the new changes and areas in the game as they start to become discovered.

SorcererT

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 3:09 AM »
It is quite interesting to read reviews from players whose names I can identify on this forum in correlation with their old characters and be just as amused that they are now anonymous. For all of the sad aspects I feel for this recent playerwipe, I will say that removing the OOC bias between player to player because of petty grudges we all hold from time to time has been a healthy change; I admit that even I have been acquitted of some longstanding discontent in favor of purely IC roleplay.

Like all things, this recent event has had its downs and its ups. First, going from an established character into a nobody fighting anew to establish his name and worth has been a challenging process and ongoing struggle. It is difficult to, literally, go from being important, respected, and followed one hour to waking up and having to carve out an entirely new identity the following morning. However, crossing that initial ford, I will say that there is certainly potential. We have received a plethora of new areas, ending the long tyranny of soon(tm) promises, likely a handful of new and old players to renew their longstanding addiction, and essentially the first true opportunity for the players at large to take part in rebuilding the guilds from the ground up; in the past, the origin roleplay has always been predominantly determined by NPCs and not left to our own creation.

Personally, it is difficult to completely let go of everything I had grown accustomed to over five years. In the final event, my character lost friends he had known from his first day - two to be exact. He was there to hold the crying fiance of one of the Guardians in his final moments while bearing equal devastation.  Many of us - whether too prideful to admit it or not - had an emotional rollercoaster in the week leading up to our final climax. People cried behind their keyboards while still valiantly emoting to see this through to the end; some were angry, some plain defeated, and still despite all of this we scourged on to see where the story would lead and what conclusion we could draw to characters that existed in more than just a few characters on a screen. I will probably remember mine for years to come.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 3:19 AM by SorcererT »

Remmy

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 3:12 AM »
The event was a blast and a great way to end the last era. And with all the new people and things going on after the wipe I'm really looking forward to seeing how things play out.

medkev13

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 3:14 AM »
I've been playing New Worlds for five years or so, off and on, and this is by far the most intense things I've experienced in rp. I spent whole nights spent in tears, searching for loved ones and mending old friendships...and whole days celebrating that we survived another day. Then, the change came. And I was torn. Not because I didn't want to start a new character, but because I needed some sort of closure for my own character.

Then I remembered that in the last year I've found myself wanting something else anyways and this was a perfect opportunity! Now everybody is back to being heavy on rp and paths are being paved for whole new stories! This is a grand, dynamic game that has managed to keep even the turning of an era into a major event that brings every character together in some way or form! And if you haven't tried the game out, this is the perfect time. The world is new to explore and discover, and things are ripe for the newest player to dive into!

Tract

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 3:23 AM »
I am going on a decade playing NW and I have to say that right now is the most exciting it has ever been for me. Since this game is based on player driven roleplay and the slate is clean, anyone really has the opportunity to plant seeds of roleplay that have a huge likelihood of developing into threads of roleplay that spread through the hundreds of players over multiple races and nations. While before I always felt like I was playing someone else's game, now I feel like this is my game to create and that everyone has an equal opportunity to try out any combination of roleplay styles and they may not have before due to ongoing roleplay.

In addition, the staff themselves are in top form. While with a minimum staff it's hard to have someone active at every moment of the day, I think the administrator has foregone sleep to make sure that everyone is adjusting to the wipe in a seamless manner.

I could go on all day about the special mechanics and areas and new backgrounds and all the races, but I think the main thing that I want to point out is that if you're looking for a game where you could have an immediate impact on the ongoing roleplay then hurry up and get here. Everything is up for grabs, the world is what we are making it right now.

Aatto

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 3:26 AM »
I was very apprehensive about the wipe and new stuff but it is so much fun! I was feeling a little discouraged before because I started playing less than a year ago and everyone else is so much better than me that is seemed I would never catch up. But now everyone has an equal playing field. At least as equal as you an get. But the new content is so fun!

Grishalt

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 3:31 AM »
As a long-time player of this MUD, and several others, I have seen Ateraan struggle. Ateraan has become a home of mine over the years. It has gotten me through the loss of pets, parents, family, friends. Ateraan has been an escape for me. A place where I can shed my skin and exist outside of my bills and aching back.

This might sound dramatic, and, well. It is. This game -is- drama, the sort you see in theaters. It's laughing and crying and uhm, if you look at the site, hurling. The game has just been reset, and there's nothing that can prove the dedication and love of a playerbase than literally throwing thousands of hours, and several years into a volcano. The emptiness that exists when you take pieces of a person's soul, put them into code and erase them, and yet, our playerbase -increased-. People were hurt, and sad, and confused, but the atmosphere of the game, what -we- make it out to be, this game's FUTURE are open now. We're not just back, we're free, and you can be, too.