The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Forum Question - Mute a Thread?  (Read 3438 times)

Sombalance

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Forum Question - Mute a Thread?
« on: August 14, 2013, 7:06 AM »
Is it possible for a user to mute a single thread.  Something like add it to a personal ignore list so that it no longer shows up as NEW?  Some of the threads are like train wrecks.  I don't want to look, but I lack the discipline to turn my head and walk away. :)

Kinaed

• Community Manager
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Question - Mute a Thread?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 7:32 AM »
Sadly, I'm not seeing that option.
TMC Community Management
Implementor of The Inquisition: Legacy

Tijer

• TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 12:09 PM »
What there needs to be is the old discussion killfile, which would allow you to block posts from people you didnt want to see (usually the known trolls, troll baiters!)

Drizzt1216

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
    • tbaMUD
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 12:37 PM »
What there needs to be is the old discussion killfile, which would allow you to block posts from people you didnt want to see (usually the known trolls, troll baiters!)

That already exists.

http://www.mudconnect.com/SMF/index.php?action=profile;area=lists;sa=ignore

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 1:03 PM »
Is it possible for a user to mute a single thread.  Something like add it to a personal ignore list so that it no longer shows up as NEW?  Some of the threads are like train wrecks.  I don't want to look, but I lack the discipline to turn my head and walk away. :)
I think this would be a seroiusly advanced option, coding wise.  Have you seen this option on other forums?  The reason I would say not to do this is that sometimes  you may not like the initial blush of a topic, but it can then turn into something very interesting or noteworthy and blocking it upfront would kill that later option of review for the most part.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Quixadhal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 5:20 PM »
It should be trivial to implement in code.

Unless SMF is bat-sh*t insane, I would assume you have a forum_id, a topic_id, and a post_id or message_id that make up how you get the data for displaying stuff.  I would also assume every reply to a given topic will inherit the topic_id.

So, just like ignoring a user amounts to adding their user_id to an array, and the software then simply doesn't show any post (or reply) from anyone on that list... you could easily have an ignore list for topic_id's.

Of course, I haven't looked at the code, so perhaps it does things in an overly convoluted way, or perhaps it IS bat-sh*t insane and doesn't track topics. :)

As to it being a good idea... that's a different thing.  Being a unix person, I approve of having more levers to pull, and don't think the users need to be protected from themselves.  YMMV.