The Mud Connector

Author Topic: We lost the internet.  (Read 19886 times)

Cr316h70n

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Re: We lost the internet.
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2018, 8:48 PM »
I'm glad to see not everyone is buying into the 'net neutrality' BS

nullscan

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2018, 3:10 PM »
This is a valid topic that can still be updated and deserves to be on the front page. Nothing necro about this, people who cry about necro are only upset that some post is on the front page and that hurts their ego now. Crying about necros makes me want to necro every valid topic that needs to be on the front page.

I sent emails to all my senators and state reps, and even one to the White House protesting the repeal of Net Neutrality.

Net Neutrality was a surprisingly anti-communist move (since it happened during Obama) designed to remove the confusing technobabble from arguments against ISP-related monopolies, price fixing, and a variety of other shady/illegal business practices.  The problem that it fixed is the problem that lawmakers/enforcers/judiciaries are technologically retarded and so cases against technology companies that should have gotten them fined and/or broken up (compare Disney/Time Warner and their TV/ISP/Hulu monopoly against AT&T being broken up into Ma Bells back in the 70s and 80s) were being thrown out on technobabble arguments.

The reason I say it's anti-communist is because what the pinkos actually want is for one company to run several industries to make it easier to nationalize the whole thing at once the way Obama nationalized Chrysler.

I explained this in simple English to my Congresspeople and the president (or the president's aide, or whoever reviews email sent from whitehouse.gov) and only 1 of them (a Republican) bothered to respond.  His response was standard boilerplate arguing that Net Neutrality had by some insanely dis-logical means (not actually detailed in his boilerplate) stifled the advance of internet technologies.

So Net Neutrality was repealed and then its Congressional Review date came and went and the repeal wasn't reversed by Congress.  So now Net Neutrality is gone and we're all just sitting around waiting to see what nuclear winter looks like.

Yes, the internet is a utility and is relied on just like electricity - in fact far more so.  So many ISPs are now pretending to be phone companies (with VOIP services instead of actual phone networks) that if telephone is considered/regulated as a utility then the internet must be as well.  Anyone who says differently is just plain stupid - not just uninformed but actively ignoring common sense.  You ever take a group of 20-30 year old adults camping in an area without cellular coverage, you'll see.

So yeah, bringing this back up is thread necromancy.  Continuing to discuss it serves no purpose.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:47 PM by nullscan »

Darkozx

• Owner of Dragonball Evolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2018, 3:21 AM »
*facepalms* I am sooooooooo glad I made that previous post.

Hold the **** on...someone deleted my post that nullscan quoted. Nice ninja delete, especially after I was quoted and responded to.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 3:23 AM by Darkozx »
Dragonball Evolution, the longest running DBZ MUD online!
Address: evolution.wolfpaw.net
Port: 1874

Darkozx

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2018, 3:24 AM »
This is a valid topic that can still be updated and deserves to be on the front page. Nothing necro about this, people who cry about necro are only upset that some post is on the front page and that hurts their ego now. Crying about necros makes me want to necro every valid topic that needs to be on the front page.

Because I'm not crazy, this post happened.

nullscan

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2018, 3:47 AM »
Sometimes I'm happy as a pig in sh** to be wrong!

Darkozx

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2018, 3:56 AM »
Let's just hope for the best now, screw all the previous drama.

Epilogy

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2018, 9:37 AM »
If stifling innovation like Alexa is a byproduct of net neutrality, count me in.

The only assistant I need is my cell phone, which seems to do enough unsolicited listening of its own if the steady feedback emanating from my speakers are any indication.
TheDude is dead.

Stop bothering me already 3:

nullscan

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2018, 6:53 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/16/politics/net-neutrality-vote-senate-democrats/index.html

I believe it still takes Trump's signature, but yeah.  Turns out I was all ass-backwards and Darkozx was right on this topic.