The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Re: Slice&Dice Dungeon  (Read 2956 times)

Epilogy

• View Profile
Re: Slice&Dice Dungeon
« on: March 13, 2018, 1:44 PM »
This service is illegal to use, or host within the United States, as a tip for those of us who are American.

Darkozx

• Owner of Dragonball Evolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 12:38 AM »
I'll ask this again since my post wasn't transfered or something. What makes this illegal to use in the USA, details?
Dragonball Evolution, the longest running DBZ MUD online!
Address: evolution.wolfpaw.net
Port: 1874

Epilogy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 2:31 AM »
Since the information couldn't be gleaned from the original post, despite the promotional forum's rules clearly allowing a legal notation:

Online gambling is illegal in the United States in pretty much any angle you can work at it.

I guess that's not common sense, given his response. Go go super troopers, you split useful information regarding a blanket law that apparently Darkox doesn't know, and I'm gonna assume that's common enough that it shouldn't be a problem if someone should post SOME sh** PUT IN PLACE TO PROTECT CONSUMERS, RELEVANT TO THE POST, AND WITHIN THE RULES but **** me, right? Promo forum law rules interpreted stupid, and **** common sense.

I'm really sick of contrary today.

**** this sh**, I'm done trying. If TMC wants its obtuse ****ing interpretive dance rules, courtesy of steven fuckin' segal, fine. Keep em. Have fun when your forum looks like a scissored up mess, and no one can follow a line of thought.

Tijer

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 4:02 AM »
Epilogy: The way that shouldve been done is by posting a link in the thread to a new one you had created.

--Tijer
War of Legend    • Mud • Waroflegend.net port 4200   • Web • http://www.waroflegend.net
Aadarian Realms • Mud • Aadaria.net port 1111/1114  • Web • http://www.aadaria.com

1Hyena

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 5:21 AM »
Implementor of Slice&Dice MUD reporting in. While online gambling is indeed illegal in the USSA it was also clearly indicated in the MUD's promotional topic that users should individually check the legal status of this game according to their local laws. That said, Slice&Dice Dungeon can also be played on playmoney. While I am not a legal expert my gut tells me that if you are playing on playmoney for fun without risking anything of monetary value except your time then in those circumstances playing this game might be legal even in America.

edit:

It seems that other games have a very distinct interface for non-gambling users. Right now S&DD asks you to conform to the ToS before any gameplay is possible. I think I have to implement an alternative login where your account is strictly limited to play money only.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 5:57 AM by 1Hyena »

Darkozx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 2:52 PM »
Sorry for not researching some unknown game that I really didn't feel like clicking through all the crap to see wtf was going on. I figured it was easier to ask a guy who was knowledgeable about it. So if I'm assuming correctly, this is a rpg with slots and gambling of sorts to advance?

1Hyena

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 6:47 AM »
Sorry for not researching some unknown game that I really didn't feel like clicking through all the crap to see wtf was going on. I figured it was easier to ask a guy who was knowledgeable about it. So if I'm assuming correctly, this is a rpg with slots and gambling of sorts to advance?

No problem. S&DD is indeed an RPG with a slot machine element added to it so that the game could also appeal to online gamblers. The codebase is 100% custom but the gameplay design choices are inspired by ROM.

Darkozx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 2:50 PM »
How popular is this setup? Do you get regular players that actively player everyday? If you do, do they gamble or just play? I'm only asking because I'm rather curious on how this would work with a MUD.

1Hyena

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 6:10 AM »
How popular is this setup? Do you get regular players that actively player everyday? If you do, do they gamble or just play? I'm only asking because I'm rather curious on how this would work with a MUD.

This game is a Research & Development project and it is constantly being improved. It went live in September 2017, but since TMC did not allow to specify a MUD's creation year the same year, I was forced to put 2016 in the field. So far the user base has been mostly gamblers, several of them returning occasionally. As the role-playing element of the game improves I expect more people to play it for the that rather than for the gambling alone.

Darkozx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 2:13 PM »
Since you really didn't go into Hades kind of detail, I have more questions. How is the content in your MUD? Is there multiple quests and bosses you can fight? Are there cities or playerhubs or sorts? Can you level up without gambling? Is it 100% open to explore without paying? You gotta be more detailed with your advertisements on a new MUD genre or you'll be spammed with questions by someone like me who's curious.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 7:48 PM »
Since you really didn't go into Hades kind of detail, I have more questions. How is the content in your MUD? Is there multiple quests and bosses you can fight? Are there cities or playerhubs or sorts? Can you level up without gambling? Is it 100% open to explore without paying? You gotta be more detailed with your advertisements on a new MUD genre or you'll be spammed with questions by someone like me who's curious.
Orrrrr...you can go play and find out Darkozx. Stop being lazy  :P
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Darkozx

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 12:46 AM »
Lazy has nothing to do with it. I code, build, work and take care of a family. Learning about a new game model that interests me but requires money/time is something I feel should be explained. There's no reason I should start gambling and spending time on something just because I was curious of the model. If the guy doesn't want to answer, that's on him.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 3:03 AM »
I was just teasing you Darkozx. I thought you would just say, Ha! and laugh.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

1Hyena

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 6:02 AM »

As indicated by another poster, you could just try the game. You are not required to gamble on real money. As said in my first post in this topic, the game has playmoney which you can get for free. It even has demo accounts --- just go to http://sndd.io click on the spin button in the top right corner without having even authenticated and you will get a demo account with 10000 play money.

At the moment, the gameplay is quite limited. On the roadmap there is random dungeon generator. Other than that, there's a lot of stuff that could be developed. I believe the most viable approach is to develop the game iteratively and based on the player feedback and wishes. If there is demand for player cities then I don't see a problem with it. But generally speaking, I want to use procedural generation as much as possible when generating content for S&DD. Random item, random monster, random quest generators are all on the list.

Proper advertisement will come but at the moment you will have to direct all your questions to me ;)