The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Looking for a MUD with specific requirments  (Read 508 times)

Bertelemy

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Looking for a MUD with specific requirments
« on: November 19, 2017, 9:13 AM »
Hi, I'm fairly new to MUD games. I'm looking for a MUD which has:
1) not forced role-play
2) not permadeath
3) newbie friendly (lots of people to help, as most of the MUDs don't have good wiki)
4) player housing (either buy or construct)
5) Most important: very deep crafting system. Crafting materials should have own attributes or properties which will affect end product. Recipes should not be fixed like you have to craft a sword from iron ingots + maple hilt, rather, the recipe will be like this - sword = (any metal ingots/wood planks/stone blocks for blade)+(any metal ingots/wood planks/stone blocks for hilt). So you can make
iron sword with maple hilt, iron sword with limestone hilt, steel sword with copper hilt etc lots of combinations according to my choice. Of course the materials used will affect the craft according to their properties. There should be a lot of materials to play with. I know DragonRealms matches my criteria here. Is there any others MUD?

Thank you  ;D

Gicker

• View Profile
    • d20MUD: Star Wars
Re: Looking for a MUD with specific requirments
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 12:50 PM »
Hi there,

If you're into star wars, try d20MUD: Star Wars.

1) Not forced role play, though you can get exp and other rewards for role playing.  Just keep the ooc chat on ooc channels.
2) No permadeath at all.  No gear loss on death either.
3) We don't have a large playerbase but there's always people on and they're very friendly and helpful.  Help files have become fairly good now as well.
4) We have purchasable player homes and player shops.  You can also purchase a larger ship and put a player house in there that will save objs dropped there.  You can also own more than one home.
5) You describe our crafting system closely.  Everyone has an artisan class separate from their combat and pilot classes.  Harvesting materials, creating items and doing supply orders (basically simple crafting quests) will level up your crafting skills and artisan class.  Datachips dropped from fighting mobs and harvesting for materials can be used to apply the effect of your choice to the crafting mold of your choice.  You can also string items with whatever description you want, including color.

Give it a try.

http://www.d20mud.com/
http://play.d20mud.com/
mud.d20mud.com port 6000

Gicker
d20MUD Star Wars: Role Play, PvE & PvP using d20 and SAGA rules
www.d20mud.com d20mud.com port 6000

4th Age Dragonlance Role Play & Adventure
ageofdragons.com port 4444 or port 4500

Gisco

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 12:52 PM »
Alter Aeon ticks off most of these - not forced roleplay, no permadeath, newbie-friendly with lots of people to help. We don't have player housing, but we do have clans with private areas and rentable player shops.

The major crafting skill trees are leathercraft, woodcraft, lapidary and metallurgy (which is still being unfolded). There are also a variety of minor crafts, enchanting and brewing skills as well. We currently have the jewelrysmithing branch of metallurgy open and we're going to release the armor smithing branch of metallurgy this week.

There are currently over a 100 kinds of stones and gems that can be added to jewelry, some of which will reveal a unique color or other attributes when cut. There are 18 different base metals and about three dozen alloys. Mining uncovers deposits which can yield ores, minerals or potion brewing components such as bitumen. Some ores can be cut as gemstones, and some gems can be brewed in potions. Each metal has a different effect, and most stones have a secondary effect in addition to a primary one, which is revealed if you have a high enough skill level. You can forge jewelry, cut gemstones and then mount the gemstone into the jewelry. I was able to make an in-game duplicate of my wife's wedding ring using this system - a white gold claddagh ring inset with an aquamarine heart. Once bladed weapons are implemented, you will be able to add gemstones to the hilts.

There's a heraldry skill that lets you decorate woodcrafted shields, jewelry and belt buckles with various animals, plants and symbols. There are about two hundred symbols so far, and we're always open to suggestions.

You can skin nearly any animal and make leather items from the skins. You can forge spikes and studs to add to leather items, and buckles for leathercrafted belts. If you want to make a noble mithril-spiked white winged unicorn skin belt with a heraldic skull black steel buckle or a fantastic dire badger sporran with a heraldic thistle iron buckle, you can. Warriors have a skill so they can make armor from dragon scale.

With woodcrafting, you can make shields and simple weapons such as clubs and quarterstaffs. You can forge metal rims to add to shields, and spikes and studs can be added to the weapons. You can increase the weight and damage of woodcrafted weapons by hollowing them out and filling them with soft metals such as lead. There are currently 90 species of tree that gathered wood comes from, varying by terrain and plane. Gather spruce and yew in the mountains, acacia and mesquite in the desert, or wormwood and molbash in the Demon Realms. Each species falls into one of eight categories of wood, each with differing stats.

You can make tableware such as goblets, plates and forks with wood, metal or stone. Many of the containers can by decorated with inlays.

A small sampling of items players have made (taken from hundreds):

a selenium circlet set with a flawless yellow zircon
a black steel-rimmed hawthorn tower shield
an iron-studded Fenrir skin belt with a rampant wolf iron buckle
a lapis lazuli bead necklace with a lustrous pink garnet pendant
a heraldic demon horns mithril signet ring set with an obsidian cabochon
alteraeon.com

Bertelemy

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 7:52 AM »
Thanks a lot both of you.
I knew a little about d20MUD. But I didn't try it without being sure that it fills my criteria. Now I will try both of the games.

Sarag

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 11:08 AM »
BatMUD fits your bill well otherwise except for crafting system - or more precisely, it is very deep for some items (magic rings, potions, chests) but weaponmaking skill is very crude and very few players even bother to make them.

Bertelemy

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 8:13 AM »
I know batMUD. It is good. But it doesn't fill my requirements as I said very very deep crafting is a must and most important.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 2:56 AM »
I think Materia Magica has a lot of crafting options and it is not rolelay enforced nor permadeathed. If those other two don't work for you maybe try it.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com