The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Richard Bartle, Cat Rambo and Piere Donini on Roguelike Radio podcast.  (Read 1545 times)

Trefall

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Richard Bartle of MUD1, Cat Rambo of Armageddon MUD and Piere Donini, aka Manwë, of MUME recently joined the Roguelike Radio podcast to talk about MUDs.

http://www.roguelikeradio.com/2017/11/episode-141-muds.html

I hope you enjoy!

desharei

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Cool beans! Been playing Armageddon since Sanvean was running the show. I've read a few of her stories too, she's an awesome writer.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
Just the name "Cat Rambo" makes me chuckle. I think of the line, "Talk to me Johnny," with a "rrrwwar meeeeeeewooowrrr!" after it.  :P

It was a fun podcast to listen to for nostalgia's sake.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

desharei

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
That's her actual name, too. Her game name was Sanvean.

Jodah

• View Profile
Maybe we can get some more Bartle quotes and act like everything he says is the pure gospel truth.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
Maybe we can get some more Bartle quotes and act like everything he says is the pure gospel truth.
Haha, Bartle was nothing more or less than a geeky college d&d dungeon master that wanted to play d&d online with friends....hmm, just like the rest of us! :P
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Zividave

• View Profile
    • AnsalonMUD
I really found it fun to hear the same issues we face.
I agree with Bartle on some of his points for sure, trying to 'go graphic' doesn't really work with Muds if you're staying a mud.
I do think though, having some representation is really helpful (ie health bars, windows etc.) but still keeping the 'flowing text'.
Player retention and attraction was very interesting, I've always said you could have a stock Rom game that was crazy popular even today, if you have the right staff/interaction/approach etc.

Very nice listen, thanks!