The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Player Engagement  (Read 1398 times)

harroghty

• View Profile
Player Engagement
« on: December 08, 2017, 11:51 AM »
What sort of RP opportunities make you want to become involved and invested? For example, if you had the opportunity to take over an IC faction then what sorts of things would make that opportunity attractive or unattractive?
"Deeds are the real man's true joy" - Albert Kesselring

http://www.forgottenkingdoms.org

shadeoux

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Re: Player Engagement
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 8:18 PM »
TBH earning your way up the ladder, imho is the best way, a person or player given the role out of desire to simply fill it takes away from those that may have been wanting to earn it.

As far as keeping this lemming engaged, as long as I am amused and able to do what I want to with the Mud in general I'm satisfied and will keep playing. If I have to earn "Karma or Trust levels" with staff in order to play the roles I want to in the beginning, I probably won't stay long anymore. I played a mud for over 2 decades, and never was able to play the classes I desired to and by the time I had enough "Trust or Karma" they removed them, I simply felt betrayed by this seeings how that was my motivation.

For Roleplay, keeping it IC and having staff able to separate OOC from IC is another big thing. I've seen vindictive staff that would punish you for "harming" their characters by killing you, storing you, or simply even banning you outright, even when/if you had an IC legitimate reason to do so. Sure ooc griefing exists, and that would be a case by case basis obviously, but a professional and courteous staff would go a long ways in my book too.

MrDowntempo

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 9:35 PM »
I want to be able to make meaningful changes to the world. If I rank up to the top in a faction, I want to be able to be more than just the most powerful person in that faction, I want to be able to change the way that faction is organized or run and what it's capable of doing. I want to be able to make decisions that other players will be affected by. If I become the head of a merchant guild, I want to be able to adjust taxes or pricing of global resources for ex. If I were a religious leader, I want to make ruling about dogma that all the believers will have to now adhere to. What I don't want, is to feel like a player i a theme park MMO, I want to feel like I'm a part of the world, and if my character and I work hard to advance into a position of power, I want to wield that power in interesting ways, not just deal more damage. I want to start a boycott of imported steel, to deem the study of water magic heretical, and to push the borders of my county south into that bastard baron's land.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 11:18 AM »
Job, Position, Control.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

harroghty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 6:40 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

Shadeoux mentioned working his way up. What kind of process is too much then? All of you seem motivated by the capital position's power, but how much labor to get there is too much for you?
"Deeds are the real man's true joy" - Albert Kesselring

http://www.forgottenkingdoms.org

shadeoux

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 8:15 PM »
As long as the ability to take over your bosses position as an underling is an option, I am all for it, but having people shoved, poofed into that position is a no go imho. I would keep it in an npc position until someone is able, desiring, willing to undertake the responsibility behind that position. Set goals with the person, letting them know, that X amount of inactivity may result in an NPC starting a coup or allow other PC's to enter into the frey for the leadership position. First and foremost inactivity will kill most clans especially if it's the leadery PC too.

Another thing, some people are unable to run clans, even if they think they want to. :) I would file myself into this position, I just have occasions where I can not participate much in activities and being gone from a Mud for that length would cripple the clan if I was a leader.