The Mud Connector

Author Topic: A very simple/basic guide to Adminstrating a MUD  (Read 2601 times)

Amud_Arma

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
A very simple/basic guide to Adminstrating a MUD
« on: August 17, 2013, 11:40 AM »
If you are a new Implementor then read ahead, if you are an established Implementor then this won't truly apply to you as you will have learned these basic things already.

New Implementors need to understand a few things about creating and running a MUD before they should even consider downloading source and setting it up:

!. You aren't just building this MUD for you, you are also building it for them.

2. You will not be able to make everyone happy, don't try to, do what is best for the overall population of your mud.

3. Your actions and the actions of your staff, and players, determine the overall perception of your MUD.

4. Patience, understanding and compromise are essential for long term success, but not at the expense of overlooking rule violations.

5. Maintain neutrality and a calm demeanor in the face of adversity at all times. Emotional decisions or actions lead to a snowballing of instigation and problems.

Really, it's a matter of understanding that you are in fact a "public" game and when you deal with the public you have to worry about how you are perceived, interpreted, and how seriously you are taken. I recommend being tough when it comes to rulebreakers or those who disregard mud policies, while being friendly and courteous whenever possible. They need to think of you as more than just the hammer coming down on the nails every time they see you visible in the game.

harroghty

• View Profile
Re: A very simple/basic guide to Adminstrating a MUD
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 6:12 PM »
Great list. I definitely agree that a firm, but also fair and patient hand is the way to go.

I would add to it a note about the value of taking notes and logging conversations. Most of us are not around 24/7 to handle every issue, so it becomes immensely valuable to document interactions with players and record them in some place that all other staff members can reference. You are:

• enabling the staff to speak with a unified voice from like information
  • reminding yourself what you said and when
  • protecting yourself in the almost inevitable "he said, she said" that follows, often on MUD rating sites
  • creating an opportunity for personal reflection or internal critique/development of best practices
"Deeds are the real man's true joy" - Albert Kesselring

http://www.forgottenkingdoms.org

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
Re: A very simple/basic guide to Adminstrating a MUD
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 11:16 AM »
I like these suggestions.

I would also add that Administration in the gaming world is the same as in the real world (in an office, church, or business).   The same principles of management apply.  I would suggest utilizing lessons from such notable books as "How to win friends and influence people", "The one minute manager", "The greatest salesman in the world", and my favorite "Star Trek: Make It So: Leadership Lessons from Star Trek: The Next Generation".
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com